Welcome to 4th and Goal, hosted by Michael Stephens! Happy early Thanksgiving! Who’s ready to gather around the 60-inch plasma for a trifecta of Turkey Day blowouts? With three games on tap for Thursday, we thought it best to put out our show a couple of days early this week so that we could cover any and all relevant injury news and player decisions that might be affected by those games. Nate couldn’t make it by the “studio” this week, but we promise that the content of the show won’t miss a beat – there isn’t an official injury list on this week’s episode, thanks in large part to the distinctive lack of information from around the NFL at recording time, but we promise a ton of week 12 information packed into your other favorite segments like Locks and Flops, On the Fence and Cafe Talk, so it’s time to call your best play or hit the showers, because it’s 4th and Goal!
• Host: Michael
• 4th and Goal is brought to you by the Fantasy Football Cafe
• The show comes to you on Wednesday (this week at least, but don’t get used to it!)
• Tweet with us, at 4thandG
• Have fantasy questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Click here to access our feed (or copy paste the destination into iTunes to follow us that way)!
• Or click here to listen to the show on your iPhone/smart phone with full web access.
QUICK SLANTS (1:26)
• Flea Flickers – no listener contact this week, but we’ll chalk that up to Thanksgiving, and the fact we recorded over two days earlier than usual…
• Wounded Ducks – there will be no official injury coverage this week because almost no teams have practiced or released meaningful information yet…
• In the News – Paging all out-of-work kickers! (2:33)
• Hot Routes – game balls to last week’s top fantasy performers (3:50)
• Muffed Punts – the games of the week, not-top-10-style! (5:57)
CAFE TALK (7:58)
• Three topics from around the Cafe that “need” Michael’s pro bono help!
• Don’t over-think your flex spot, or you could end up with a doughnut instead (and not like a delicious maple bar either)
• You should still have faith in this guy’s “second-half swoon”, as you should believe in the “rebirth” of this guy at QB
• Another no-brainer at the flex spot, but Michael makes his case anyway…
WOULD YOU RATHER (11:07)
• Last week: 0-2-3 – way to follow up that first-ever undefeated week, huh?
• The old man with a soft matchup is always a safer choice than this guy, especially since he got his bell rung last weekend!
• A big-name back you could justifiably bench for this speedy backup (if he’s starting this week)
• At WR, your name is your reputation, but when the names are a wash, go with the best matchup!
• Tight ends that score almost every week = better than guys who score three times one week and disappear for a month…
• Just cause they were good on D last week doesn’t mean they will be this week! (Make sure to check out Comm1680’s defensive formula if you haven’t already – it’s a GREAT resource)
LOCKS AND FLOPS (16:07)
• Last week, the hosts went batty (in a good way), going 10-1-1 for the best week of the season (by far)!
• Three guys each host loves for the upcoming week – listen up and you’ll find out who they are!
• …and three more that aren’t worth a start this week – listen more closely to this part!
AGAINST THE SPREAD (20:41)
• Both hosts went 2-3 last week, leaving Michael three games over .500 with a seven-game lead through 11 weeks!
• Three picks against the spread – lots of one-FG spreads. Is that why we miss so many picks?
• Two over/under props – the smallest line of the week and the MNF game (can you say shootout?)
• Check out the Fantasy Football Cafe
• Tweet with us, at 4thandG
• E-mail your fantasy questions to email@example.com
• Click here to access our feed
• Look forward to our next show (episode #13), which will most likely air 12/4/09 (check out the Cafe or Twitter for updates)!
Michael Stephens is an avid fantasy sports enthusiast who writes for the Cafe. He hails from the Pacific Northwest and is a die-hard Seahawk and Mariner fan to the core! You can find Michael in the Cafe's forums where he actively posts under the name WaCougMBS. Nate Davis is wacco for Flacco and all things Seattle sports (except, of course, for the Sounders). You can find him posting in the Cafe's forums under the alias thracken.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!