RankingsAugust 19, 2012

Post to Twitter

2012 Fantasy Football Rankings, Aug. 19 Update - 12 comments

By R.J. White

With a couple of weeks of preseason out of the way, I’m back with another set of rankings. I personally have two drafts coming up this week — one for the Fantasy Sports Writers Association Industry League and another in the Fantasy Pros Invitational — and I’ve been mocking like crazy and finding a few more tendencies I have when it comes to Player X vs. Player Y. These are reflected in the rankings below. I’ve already spoke at length why I ranked Matt Ryan over Cam Newton — be on the lookout for another rankings explanation article this week as well.

Fantasy Football Rankings powered by FantasyPros

R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.

Rate this article: DreadfulNot goodFairGoodVery good (11 votes, average: 4.45 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!

Post to Twitter

Related Cafe Articles

• Other articles by R.J. White
2013 Fantasy Football Rankings by R.J. White (posted on 08/06/2013 in Rankings)

12 Responses to “2012 Fantasy Football Rankings, Aug. 19 Update”

1. hopsjr2 says:

Isn’t MJD at four a little high considering the holdout?

2. User avatar daullaz says:

He seemed like he was going to be back soon before the Kahn comments today. I still feel he’ll suit up for Week 1, and if that’s the case, he’s clearly ahead of the other second-tier backs.

3. User avatar joejlitz says:

I look at it this way – If I think he will play the last 8 games, he is mine. That’s where you really need him. Hold down the fort until the playoffs and then use an elite (and rested) talent to win the championship.

4. User avatar joejlitz says:

Im reading reports that FJAX will be the main ball carrier in BUF and that Spiller will get less touches. Does that bump him up quite a bit? He and DMAC led all FF RBs last year until their injuries.

5. User avatar daullaz says:

I just can’t bump Jackson up too much. A bad camp doesn’t change the fact that Spiller looked good in game-action last season. Jackson is 31 years old (even if he’s a “young” 31). At most, I can see moving ahead of Bradshaw and maybe Sproles in my rankings. But I still think there’s a clear tier break after Doug Martin at 15.

ReplyReply
  6. daullaz did you only update the standard rankings? Ryan Matthews at 5 overall in PPR seems a bit high considering all of the concerns around him.

7. User avatar dweenmachine says:

I realize that this is speculative, but come Monday Starks could be cut by GB. Where would this push Benson to on your list (PPR)? You had Starks surprisingly high to begin with, IMO. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/green-bays-roster-could-look-like-this-7f6hgje-167124245.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

8. TitsMcGahee says:

Can you please explain your reasoning for having Jorday Nelson on one of the best offenses in football so low as well as Percy Harvin who is a lock for over 1,000 ttl yards and 6 TDS (Floor) so low in your rankings? Mainly I’d move them ahead of Bowe and Maclin.

9. User avatar daullaz says:

@Franchise Fan: The FP site auto-creates the PPR rankings for you, and I didn’t get a chance to go back in and move things manually around. I think his high ranking is probably a part of their algorithm. I’m going to try and do one more update at the end of August, and I’ll try my best to double-check the auto-PPR at that point.

@dweenmachine: Yes, I’d move Benson up to the 25-30 range at that point, though I do worry Alex Green has played himself into more time than I had previously calculated when I ranked Starks initially.

@TitsMcGahee: Nelson had a very fluky TD total, catching 15 scores despite only have 68 receptions overall and just 94 targets. I just can’t imagine that ridiculous TD-to-catch rate being sustainable. For comparison’s sake, Bowe was targeted 142 times. Maclin had about the same number of targets as Nelson despite missing several games late in the season and sitting out the preseason with that mysterious illness. Also, both those guys are No. 1 targets for their QBs, while Nelson is either 2a or 2b depending on Finley.

With Harvin, I never seem to give him enough credit for his rushing numbers, so I’ll admit I probably have him a tad low. However, I don’t think you can call that his absolute floor when he’s only reached that stat-line once in three years. Will he repeat that 50-carry season after getting less than 20 carries in each of his first two years? It remains to be seen. Maclin and Harvin are neck and neck for me, but with Maclin healthy this offseason and looking every bit the part of a No. 1, I think he’s just a bit safer than Harvin.

10. TitsMcGahee says:

Thank you, explanations like those are why you write for a ff site.

11. Rageheart says:

Are these rankings based on a PPR league?

12. User avatar daullaz says:

@Rageheart: There is a tab at the top of the window to switch back and forth between Standard and PPR. As I mentioned earlier, I used the auto-PPR calculator on the site (or it’s a possibility that the PPR rankings from July 31 didn’t auto-update when I updated my standard rankings), so it may not make the most sense when compared to the standard rankings. I’ll work on getting a manual update to both this weekend.