RankingsAugust 6, 2013

Post to Twitter

2013 Fantasy Football Rankings - 21 comments

By R.J. White

Here are my fantasy football rankings for 2013. I’ve been tinkering with them throughout August, and you’ll notice a date on the upper right-hand corner of the rankings that tells you when the rankings were last publish. I’ll keep working on them through the weekend at the very least. Enjoy!

Fantasy Football Rankings powered by FantasyPros

R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.

Rate this article: DreadfulNot goodFairGoodVery good (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!

Post to Twitter

Related Cafe Articles

• Other articles by R.J. White

No related articles.

21 Responses to “2013 Fantasy Football Rankings”

1. Fleece says:

Curious why you dropped Charles to 9 in a PPR… new QB situation ? I realize he didnt have a ton of catches last year.. but thinking with more stability, maybe his numbers go up.. THanks

2. User avatar daullaz says:

@Fleece: That’s odd. I didn’t do it intentionally — I just used the PPR formula that Fantasy Pros gives us, and I didn’t notice it when I reviewed. Thanks for the catch, I’m going to tweak it.

3. User avatar roid_popper says:

I think you’re going to want to take a look at your TE ppr rankings as well. You have Gonzalez as a 1st round pick and Graham going towards the end of round 3 in a 12-team league. That can’t be right, even if you do expect more catches from Gonzo! Interesting list, though.

4. User avatar daullaz says:

Thanks! The formula calls for TG getting a one-spot bump in PPR leagues, and while for most people that means from 4 to 3 or from 3 to 2, since I had him as my No. 2 in standard leagues the formula automatically puts him No. 1. I’m pretty sure the overall rankings assume No. 1 is going to be Graham, which is why TG is so high. I’ll try and fix this tonight. Appreciate the notice!

5. dreto says:

I’m curious as to why you ranked the QB’s so low in your overall rankings. I just don’t see breeze and rodgers making it out of the first round. Also I’d like to thank you, I’ve been using this website as my main source for fantasy everything and have won a lot of leagues in the past 3 years doing so!

6. User avatar daullaz says:

@dreto: In a typical 10-team or 12-team draft, finding a starting QB is relatively easy. There are so many mid-tier options with considerable upside that I find it extremely beneficial to pass on the top QBs unless they can be had at a great value (which I think is around the start of the third round). It’s a much better team-building strategy to load up at RB and WR early and then grab a guy like RG3, Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Luck, Romo, Big Ben, Eli, etc. in the middle rounds.

7. bandoogie says:

So, if Brees or Rodgers is there in the 3rd, I should take them?

8. ObeYsXeGianT says:

Please try to talk me into this. I have been following you almost for the last two seasons and reaped success from doing so. So you have garcon below desean jackson and mathews below chris ivory so obviously i am thinking make the trade for garcon+mathews for jackson+ivory. I am a huge jets fan and am personally high on DJax with Maclin out, but every other source I can find says this is a terrible trade other than your rankings. I want to do it because I think he would almost 100% accept it based on the espn rankings alone but am still uncertain.

9. ObeYsXeGianT says:

too late trade sent! Now we wait… or talk me out of it if you prefer…

10. kenjreto says:

Per dreto’s comment and your response above. How would you adjust where you value top tier QB’s in a league valuing passing touchdowns at 6 pts and INT’s at -2. Where QB’s can generate such large point total would you significantly change your draft strategy?

11. User avatar daullaz says:

@bandoogie: Yes, I think Brees and Rodgers are great third-round picks, unless an unbelievable RB/WR falls to your third round spot (something like a top-12 RB or top-5 WR).

@ObeYsXeGianT: I love that trade. DeSean Jackson has humongous upside with Jeremy Maclin out and virtually no pass-catchers to siphon off a healthy number of targets. There was some buzz that Russell Shepherd was in the mix for a starting spot. No, I don’t know who he is either. I think Jackson could finish top-10 in targets. When you see that Jackson had 87 targets in 11 games last year and Garcon had just 68 targets in 10 games, it stands to reason that Jackson has much more upside while also being a safer pick due to the amount of targets he’ll get. Ivory vs. Mathews isn’t that close right now — SD is going to run a committee at RB. I don’t know what sources you’re reading that have Mathews over Ivory at this point, but I think Ivory is easily better.

@kenjreto: I wouldn’t change it a whole lot, because the point isn’t necessarily how many points QBs score based on scoring, but how replaceable that scoring is from mid-tier starters. A scoring system like the one you pose doesn’t just elevate the top QBs, it elevates that Griffin/Wilson/Eli/etc. tier as well. The only time I think you have to upgrade QB significantly is if you play in a super-deep league (i.e. 16-20 teams) or play in a two-QB league.

12. dreto says:

I’ve got a draft coming up monday. I draft 10 in 12 team league. Lamar Miller is always there in the 4th (39th overall) for me in all my mocks. I’m still not sold that there isn’t going to be a committee in Miami, and like the idea of going andre johnson 3rd (34 overall) and colston with my 4th pick.

So my question is, what do you know/like about LM that I dont?

13. User avatar dweenmachine says:

Wow, I see that you have Reggie Bush way up in your PPR rankings… not having seen where he was at in your rankings before today, is it mostly because of last night’s performance that you have him so high?

I’m in a PPR keeper (3) league and I’m trying to debate whether I should keep him over Amendola… I’m already keeping Marshall and Roddy White, so I’m leaning towards Bush…

14. User avatar daullaz says:

@dweenmachine: I would keep Bush over Amendola. Bush was a little too high in my PPR rankings because I had him higher than most in my standard rankings. The auto-generated PPR rankings moves players up and down based on a static number for each player, so if Bush is 20th on average and they tell him to move up 8 spots, he’ll go to 12th on an average set of rankings. But if you have him 15th in standard leagues, he still goes up 8 spots, putting him 7th (which is too high). I reviewed the rankings last night and made some further adjustments, and I’ll continue to do so through the weekend.

@dreto: This is getting to you a little late, so I hope you had a good draft (I was out of town for several days and also had a draft Monday). I don’t really follow the logic that there will be a committee in Miami, simply because the other RBs haven’t done anything to warrant that distinction. Daniel Thomas has been awful since being a No. 1 overall dynasty rookie draft pick in 2011, and I don’t see the team giving him an appreciable amount of carries. Last year, Reggie Bush had 262 touches and Thomas had 106 touches. I would bank on a similar split for Miller and Thomas this year.

15. User avatar dweenmachine says:

@daullaz, thanks for the reply. I had my draft last night and ended up keeping Bush over Amendola. Again, many thanks, and I look forward to live chats again this season!

16. jeffmc80 says:

RJ- thanks for the help. I am a FFC stalker; I have been taking your advice for three years now, but this is my first post.
    Not looking for advice here, just conversation… Here is my round by round draft last night in a 10-team standard league (Draft Order: 9th out of 10). I would love to hear your thoughts on what I overpaid for and what I stole. I have my own ideas, but I won’t spoil your thoughts.
    Again not looking for any research on your part; just your knee-jerk reactions:

AMHERST LORD JEFFS
    Pick#
    9 LeSean McCoy, Phi RB (just because I don’t like CJ)
    12 C.J. Spiller, Buf RB (because I couldn’t believe he was still available…seems like a steal?)
    29 Jimmy Graham, NO TE (because I knew the next guy would take him)
    32 Stevan Ridley, NE RB (seems like a steal?)
    49 Danny Amendola, NE WR (could have taken D Bowe…)
    52 Robert Griffin III, Wsh QB (ok, I crapped myself here…I got scared, and I could have gotten Russell Wilson 2 rounds later)
    69 Hakeem Nicks, NYG WR (do you really think he will do anything?)
    72 Texans D/ST D/ST (flame away :-))
    89 Mike Williams, TB WR
    92 Daryl Richardson, StL RB
    109 Eli Manning, NYG QB
    112 Matt Prater, Den K
    129 Josh Gordon, Cle WR
    132 Kenbrell Thompkins, NE WR (I am pretty excited about this one, but only because of your rankings…)
    149 Pierre Thomas, NO RB
    152 Danny Woodhead, SD RB

Anyhoo, according to your rankings, I got a lot of value in the early and late rounds…right???

17. User avatar HairyHelmet says:

Sorry if I’m asking a question with an obvious answer but is there a way to take your PPR rankings and print them. I’ve found that I like your rankings the best and would love to have them as my base cheat sheet due to the fact that I don’t have one for PPR. Thanks in advance from this tech challenged individual.

18. ThruSeer says:

HairyHelmet- You could just click and drag within the box and copy all of the information onto a word document for yourself. Should solve your problems, and then you’ll be able to print it.

19. User avatar Cameron10483 says:

Sproles over MJD? Injury concern?

20. User avatar daullaz says:

@jeffmc80: I think you have good value throughout, except at kicker and defense. Though you don’t have a top-flight WR1, I think you have enough good players at the position to get by. RB is outstanding, QB is great, TE is obviously great. Defenses aren’t worth taking that high in most drafts, as the best strategy in 10-team and 12-team sized leagues (and maybe even through 14 and 16 teamers) is to play matchups every week. I just did my main draft Sunday (12-teamer) and took the Bucs defense in the last round. They’ll be on the waiver wire soon, but a matchup against the Jets was too good to pass up. Week 2 I can pick up a team like Carolina, Detroit or Jacksonville for Week 2 favorable matchups, and so on. With all that being said, shuffle your draft and put Gordon, Thompkins, Thomas and Woodhead earlier and the K and DEF at the end, and I’m perfectly fine with it, so I think you made out great even with reaching at K and DEF.

21. User avatar daullaz says:

@Cameron10483: Sproles over MJD in a PPR league? Definitely. Sproles is one of the better PPR backs around. Last year in my half-PPR league he finished sixth in PPG at the RB position. In a full PPR he’s even better. If anything, I may have Sproles too low — after you get past the least risky RB1s, Sproles deserves serious consideration.