Colt McCoy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colt McCoy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colt McCoy

Postby Dolfan19 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:15 am

Is it me or did this guy not get a fair shake? He played 8 games his rookie year, and then 13 games last year for the BROWNS against many top defenses in the league... with his only decent target a rookie WR. now he is labeled a "backup-at-best caliber quarterback" :-?
2011 - wk 1 CIN, 2 @IND , 3 MIA 4 TEN 6 @OAK, 7 SEA, 8 @SF 9 @HOU 10 STL 11 JAC, 12 @CIN 13 BAL, 14 @PIT

I think whoever he gets traded to will get a good deal. as far as i know, many really good QBs started out their careers not playing well.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Colt McCoy

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 02, 2012 1:33 pm

the fact that he has a beyond weak arm has a lot to do with him not getting a fair shake....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am

AKRON, Ohio -- With Browns quarterbacks Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy set to square off for the first time today in organized team activities, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert clarified the exact nature of the quarterback competition.

"The best guy is going to play, and we fully expect Brandon to be that guy," Heckert told a small group of reporters before his keynote address at the Akron Browns Backers Banquet at Tangier Restaurant. "That's our goal, is to have him be the guy.

"You can write about it and talk about it however you want. But I think when we say 'open competition,' the best guy is going to play. That's the way it is, but we drafted Brandon Weeden to be that guy. You draft a guy 22nd in the draft, you think he's gonna be that guy.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... er_16.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Browns struggle to develop an exit strategy for Colt McCoy
Jun 15, 2012 -- 6:00am
By Tony Grossi

So long, Colt: “That’s football.”

Those two words stated by Browns President Mike Holmgren on Thursday pretty much size up the Colt McCoy era in Cleveland.

I can still hear McCoy saying of Holmgren, “He told me I’m his guy.” Of course, it’s the NFL, meaning Not For Long.

Let’s put Holmgren’s statement in perspective. It came at the end of a long answer to the question: Did McCoy get a fair shake last year?

Holmgren began by affirming, yes, of course, McCoy had a tough set of circumstances thrown at him. The poor guy had no supporting cast and then was unknowingly sent back into the Pittsburgh game after suffering a severe concussion. McCoy still walks around in a fog.

“Essentially, we lost our running game early on, and we had some things to deal with there,” Holmgren said. “We dropped too many passes. That’s another thing. It was hard. He got knocked around. He got banged pretty good. But a lot of times, it’s not fair. It’s not always fair.

con't...

more: http://www.espncleveland.com/common/mor ... st_id=1290
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Colt is not a happy camper:

Cleveland Browns name rookie Brandon Weeden their starting QB; Colt McCoy says he didn't get fair shot
Published: Monday, August 06, 2012, 4:30 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Pat Shurmur named rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden his starting quarterback on Monday. Afterward, Colt McCoy finally said what he's been choking back all training camp: that the competition really wasn't a competition after all.

"I would like to say that I haven't taken any snaps in walk-through or in practice with the first group," said McCoy, who wasn't even declared the No. 2 quarterback by Shurmur. "I've come out here and made myself better with the reps I've got and I feel really good and really healthy and I look forward to some preseason games coming up pretty quick."

Asked if he was surprised he didn't get work with the ones, he said: "I thought coming in it would be a competition. But again I've come out here and competed my tail off and I've really worked hard to get better and improve and I know I have and I know our team has. So from that standpoint I am OK."

He declined to say whether he'll ask to be traded or released.

"Look, I learned the news just like you did," he said. "I learned right before practice, I came to practice, I worked hard and got better. I'm excited about the preseason and we'll see what happens."

con't...

more: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ly_na.html
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 am

Cleveland Browns will listen to offers but have no immediate plans to trade or release Colt McCoy
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
on March 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, updated March 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns will listen to offers, but have no immediate plans to trade or release backup quarterback Colt McCoy, a source said.

However, McCoy might want to seek his release so that he can catch on with another team now that the Browns have signed quarterback Jason Campbell to a two-year deal.

The Browns would like to keep McCoy around to compete with Brandon Weeden and Campbell, but McCoy might want an opportunity to be higher than third on a team's depth chart.

The Browns also have Thad Lewis on the roster.

McCoy, the backup last season to Brandon Weeden, is not viewed as a match for the downfield, vertical passing game of new coach Rob Chudzinski and offensive coordinator Norv Turner, and would fit better in a shorter passing game.

con't...

more: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... _c_19.html
stomperrob

Return to Football Talk