Shonn Greene - Update: signs with Titans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shonn Greene - Update: signs with Titans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shonn Greene - Update: signs with Titans

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Some think not given the addition of Tim Tebow, but who knows???

However secretive the Jets have remained about their intended use of Tebow, it is unlikely that the offense will thrive if Greene sputters. He set a career-high with 253 rushing attempts last season, and he said he had been led to believe by the offensive coordinator Tony Sparano that he will surpass that figure in 2012 — even if Tebow does end up taking away carries that would have otherwise gone to him or the backup, Joe McKnight.

“We’re not going to disappoint you,” Coach Rex Ryan said. “We’re going to give the ball to Shonn Greene a bunch.”

To be clear, Sparano has not explicitly told that to Greene. The way Sparano figured it, he had no reason to. Greene has heard enough about Sparano’s plans and studied enough of the new playbook to form an impression. Greene loved what he saw — a coach determined to employ an approach that leaves no room for interpretation. In constant motion during practice, Sparano points and yells and teaches. He implores his players to play physical. He demands a high tempo.

“Smoke and mirrors aren’t going to win a lot of games,” Sparano said.

more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/sport ... ss&emc=rss
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Shonn Greene - increased workload???

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:40 pm

I think given the ineffectiveness of the passing game last year, and the puzzling addition of a worse QB could only lead to Greene getting a substantial increases in carries. On one condition: that he is consistantly productive. And there's the rub. Wonder how McKnight is looking these days :-?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:08 am

McNight put on a few pounds this offseason hitting McDonalds and the weight room. I see McNight getting the 3rd down work. Tebow sure helped Denver's run game last year and I see him doing the same for the Jets. The Jets were smart to draft Hill he is accustom to running the option and his college QB has a spiral similar to Tebow's :-D . Greene's touches may not increase by much, but I see his YPC on the rise.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:45 am

I don't know that they're all that happy with McKnight - they drafted Terrance Ganaway who is like a bowling ball with legs, I can see him as the third down back (but they may use him in more of a fullback manner).
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I took a chance on this a few weeks ago and traded for him in a dynasty league. LT at the beginning of last year carried a decent amount if I recall and without him I feel Greene will get more of the load. Im hoping for 300 carries and goal line along with a couple catches a game.

I cant see why he wont at least equal last years totals.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby dgan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:56 pm

The main concern is WHICH carries he might lose to Tebow. Inside the 5. If Sanchez plays as the main QB with Tebow coming in as the goal line QB, kiss Greene's TD numbers goodbye. As soon as they acquired Tebow, Greene dropped at least a round in redrafts. And if Tebow takes over fulltime at some point, Greene is an afterthought fantasy player.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 am

NY Jets counting on Shonn Greene to have a ‘monster season’ in 2012
Greene posted career highs in carries (253) and yards last season, but he never became the centerpiece of an offense in perpetual flux.
By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 4:09 PM
Updated: Wednesday, August 1, 2012, 9:37 AM

CORTLAND — The Jets have made it clear what they expect from Shonn Greene this season. The fourth-year running back will be the engine for a team that hopes to revive a ground-and-pound attack that lost its way in 2011.

“I’m asking for a monster season,” running backs coach Anthony Lynn told the Daily News. “I think he’s one of the best power backs in the game. Why wouldn’t you?”

Greene, coming off a 1,054 yard season, admitted that there’s additional incentive to play better in the final year of his contract and “get a fresh new start” under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, who could turn him into the bellcow running back that Rex Ryan claimed he would be prior to last season.

Greene posted career highs in carries (253) and yards last season, but he never became the centerpiece of an offense in perpetual flux. He averaged 39 yards and 3.1 yards per carry through the first four games when the Jets leaned on Mark Sanchez to beat teams through the air. After Ryan made an executive decision to return their run-first roots, Greene averaged 75 yards and 4.4 yards per carry in the final 12 games, which would project to a 1,196-yard season. He averaged 31 percent more carries per game (16.8) in the final 12 games than he did in the first month (12.8).

“He was frustrated as hell last year,” Lynn said.

con't...

more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1125940
stomperrob

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:40 am

Well, he's not a bad value for where his ADP (5th round in most leagues) places him. I wouldn't necessarily be pumped to have him, but as a #2 he might surprise and be a very serviceable player. Like most, I'm not worried at all about the number of carries he gets...it's the carries he gets inside the 5 yard-line that concern me. I can just see Shonn Greene owners cursing Tim Tebow's name every time they get inside the 5. :-o
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Update- decreased workload???

Jets' Shonn Greene unbothered about losing playing time to backup
Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on September 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM, updated September 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Shonn Greene left Miami thinking all was normal in regards to the Jets’ running game. Despite the fact his carries had shrunk to 19 from 27 during his Week 1 performance, and despite the fact he and Bilal Powell nearly split the workload in the second half against the Dolphins, Greene felt like nothing was different. “That’s how we do it,” Greene said.

When asked if this split (44 percent of the snaps for Powell and 61 percent for Greene) was closer to the new standard, instead of a 27-carry game like he had in Week 1, Greene wasn’t sure. “I mean that’s just how the game went,” Greene said. “That’s how the coaches wanted it. Certain situations, we all have the same situation. Joe (McKnight) has got certain situations where he’s in, too.”

If that sounds a little unclear, perhaps it was in Rex Ryan’s mind, too. On Monday, he said the Jets were open to trying anything to bolster the rushing attack, including the possibility of more early carries for Powell and McKnight.

Tuesday, the team also announced the signing of Jonathan Grimes, a rookie undrafted free-agent running back out of William and Mary who was on the Houston Texans practice squad. He had 130 yards on 28 carries in the preseason.

con't...

more: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/0 ... red_t.html
stomperrob

Re: Shonn Greene - Update: decreased workload???

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Jeez, Nice to see Greene bringing the same level of intensity to the spoken word as he has brought to the playing field. There must be some real leadership issues in that clubhouse for someone not to have beaten* some sense into this guy.

*Not necessarily physically.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk