Lisfranc for Le'Veon Bell--out indefinitely - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lisfranc for Le'Veon Bell--out indefinitely

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lisfranc for Le'Veon Bell--out indefinitely

Postby Delhomme17 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Huge bummer for those who drafted him. Rotoworld reports the absolutel best case scenario is for Bell to miss 4-6 weeks. If he has surgery, it could be considerably longer (season-ending?). For now, he's "out indefinitely". Grab Redman and/or Dwyer (or even LSH) if you can. Hard to say which one has the upper hand--my guess is for a timeshare.
Delhomme17
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse Team Leader
(Past Year: 509)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lisfranc for Le'Veon Bell--out indefinitely

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby big.d57 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 pm

You guys think Bell is droppable or worth a hold?
big.d57
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Delhomme17 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:59 pm

The next few days should bring more clarity to the situation. It's unclear to me if the "second opinion" he's seeking is what led to the report of the Lisfranc, or if the second opinion is purely re: whether or not he'll need surgery and we're still waiting to hear it. Rotoworld points out that Bell would be a good candidate for the IR/designated to return list, which would put him out until week 9. I'd hold onto him for now, but if there's someone out there sitting on the FA/waiver wire that looks tempting and Bell gets the IR/DTR tag I wouldn't hesitate to drop him. Any kind of surgey and I'd cut bait as well.
Delhomme17
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse Team Leader
(Past Year: 509)

Postby Favre.com » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 pm

He's out 6 weeks last I heard. I'd take him as a stash in the 10th round or so, but no earlier than that. When preseason started he was actually someone I was willing to reach for, now I basically guarantee he isn't on either of my $ teams when I draft this weekend.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Le'Veon Bell will not need surgery to repair the sprain in his right foot.
It's the best news the Steelers could hope for. While Lisfranc surgery would have cost Bell the entire season, a rest-and-rehab regimen could get him back as soon as six weeks. If that's the case, the second-round rookie would have an outside shot at playing sometime around Week 3. Still, there are no guarantees when it comes to this serious of an injury. Maurice Jones-Drew put off surgery on his Lisfranc ailment last year and tried to return, but never got back on the field and went under the knife after the season. Santonio Holmes' foot is still bothering him 11 months after his Lisfranc. While Bell is sidelined, backup-caliber talents Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer will duel for the starting job. Aug 22 - 12:32 PM
Source: Jim Wexell on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Wasn't going to touch him anyways, but it sucks to see someone go down.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby David592207 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:53 pm

I Drafted Bell at our very early 8/10/13 draft, as my 2nd choice of the "big three" upside backs, L. Miller, L. Bell and E. Lacy (listed in my first-to-last ranked order), and as a steal in the 8th round of our 10 team PPR league. I had him pencilled in as my FLEX starter. Totally bummed out by the news of Bell's Lisfranc injury, which seems to be an increasingly common diagnosis in the NFL lately.

I'm a Sports Medicine physician, whose brother sustained an "open", five-ray, Lisfranc fracture-dislocation (dislocation of all 5 tarsal-metatarsal joints, with the metatarsal bases poking through the skin on the top of the mid-foot in-step). Yeah, I was there to see it...pretty gruesome! While most so-called Lisfranc injuries are not this extreme, it is a BAD thing to have. The problem is it involves varying degrees of tearing of the ligaments that connect the metatarsal bones to the tarsal bones. The alignment and stability of those joints is critical to maintain the arch of the mid-foot in the vertical plane, secure the mid-foot alignment with lateral (horizontal) loads (cutting moves by RB's) and transfer power from calf/Achilles complex during push-off portion of the stride (acceleration).

Even if surgery isn't indicated at this point, that doesn't mean he won't need surgery at some point before being able to return. Any surgery carries an inherent risk. The risk/benefit analysis for surgery vs. conservative treatment (immobilize/cast with gradual rehab/physical therapy) needs to be completely assessed. This includes everything from lost income/career opportunity, statistical information about outcomes of the 2 treatment options, based upon the MRI evidence for severity of this particular injury, and even the skill of the potential surgeon. Interestingly, the anxiety level of fantasy football owners is not part of the consideration that goes into determining whether surgery is the best option.

Effective healing of any injury in the human body requires a good blood supply. Ligaments notoriously have a very poor blood supply. Successful healing by waiting for joint stability to develop with immobilization and time is predicated on at least two things. By far the most important factor is that the MRI results over-estimate the true degree of ligamentous disruption. The second variable involves the nebulous concept of post-inflammatory "scar tissue" to be incorporated as a ligamentous splint or "Bondo" within the torn ends of the frayed ligamentous fibers. This last scenario is only possible if the individual ligament is only partially torn. Remember, that there can be up to 5 of these injured ligaments involved, each with it's own issues.

Bottom line...like Snoop Dog (Lion), or whatever he's known as now, said..."Drop it like it's hot". Trust me, Bell will not be an effective NFL back this year, at least from a fantasy perspective, with regard to clogging up a roster spot for as long as it will take for "maybe" results. I predict the Steelers will be very cautious at protecting their rookie RB and hope for a solid future running the ball.

H2H PPR 2RB/2WR+Flex, TE, D/ST, K. 10 Team League

QB- Stafford, Smith
RB- J. Charles, R. Bush, G. Bernard, D. Richardson
WR- Cobb, Amendola, E. Sanders, T.Y. Hilton, J. Gordon, G. Tate
TE- J. Graham, R. Housler
D/ST- Bengals
K- Zuerlein
David592207
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 20)

Postby preeti222 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:42 am

Too early to worry! Give the rookie some rest. Redman and Dwyer can carry the ball for some games.
preeti222
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Thefantasyguru2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Felix Jones just went to Pitt, but I don't think he'll have a very big role in the offense. I like Dwyer to start in Bells absence
fantasyfootballdraftboard periodnet - Fantasy Football Draft Boards for your Live Home Draft!(just like The League)
Thefantasyguru2
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk