Chris Johnson/Eric Decker for Steven Jackson WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Chris Johnson/Eric Decker for Steven Jackson WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chris Johnson/Eric Decker for Steven Jackson WHIR

Postby Hags888 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Was offered Chris Johnson and Eric Decker yesterday for my Steven Jackson, and I think I might do it. It's a standard scoring 12-team league, and here's my team:

QB: Roethlisberger, Ponder
RB: McCoy, D. Martin, M. Leshoure, S. Jackson, R. Williams
WR: J. Jones, R. Wayne, P. Harvin, D. Amendola
TE: K. Rudolph, F. Davis

I feel pretty good about LeSean McCoy as my starter, even though he's having a rough start to the season fantasy-wise. I thought Steven Jackson would provide good #2 value, but he's old, banged up, and looks like 60-80 yards and no score will be his default total each week. This is not bad for flex territory, but I think I can do better with Doug Martin and Mikel Leshoure most weeks. Ryan Williams is desperation territory, but ok for bench fodder. I kind of feel like Steven Jackson might be expendable. I feel very good at WR with Jones, Wayne and Harvin, and I'm bummed that Amendola is going to be out awhile, but I can move him down to the IR spot for later. That's how I'm seeing my value.

So, for the trade, Chris Johnson, at least right now, would be a little bit of a downgrade from Steven Jackson, but honestly, is it really that much of a downgrade? Whether it's Johnson or Jackson, either one would probably sit on my bench unless things really start turning around for either guy. When you throw in Eric Decker, I think that might tip the scales in my favor. Deck will be a competent fill-in during bye weeks, and if D. Thomas keeps dropping passes, Manning could start looking Decker's way more and more. Decker has put up some decent #2/Flex numbers so far this season and would be good replacement value for Amendola in the short term. So, should I pull the trigger?
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chris Johnson/Eric Decker for Steven Jackson WHIR

Postby Zethos82 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:44 pm

I think your assessment is right on. Jackson can't find the end zone and his carries might tail off as the season goes on to Richardson. Johnson is useless right now but it he turns it around then he has upside. If you need Decker in the short term the pull the trigger.
Zethos82
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Seibs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:00 pm

I think that you've thought it through pretty well. I drafted Decker thinking that him and Peyton would have some good chemistry together as shown through the work in the preseason, but it just hasn't really come out yet. I'm not sure why, but I've just been kind of hoping that they will just click soon. So there's a chance of that. Chris Johnson has really been awful so far, but still he's shown that he has huge potential from past performances in the last few seasons. You do have some good depth at RB so it might be a good chance to take a gamble at this. If CJ miraculously comes through you could be a genius.
Seibs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Game » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm

I do like the fact that you get Decker as he gives you solid depth at wr and he could prove valuable if one of your wr's get hurt or during a bye. Other than that he doesn't improve your starting lineup.

I actually think Sjax is the 2nd best back on your team despite the fact he's not tearing it up at all. Martin will probably become that guy for you as he has fresher legs and is still learning but he's been unimpressive thus far and the bucs gave Blount all the red zone work last week. Leshoure is avg at best he's a pure volume runner. If he gets 25-30 carries he'll put up decent numbers if not he'll probably struggle like he did against the vikings. Also if Best comes back like the lions hope his value will take a big hit. Personally I've given up on Chris Johnson he's garbage. He's only had one game all season where he rushed for over 24 yds. For some reason he's lost his explosiveness and can no longer hit the holes like he used to.

If you have faith in Martin I would make the trade, getting Decker does tip the scales in your favor, and if you believe Johnson can bounce back this will end up being a steal for you.
Game
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby Mean One » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Game wrote:I do like the fact that you get Decker as he gives you solid depth at wr and he could prove valuable if one of your wr's get hurt or during a bye. Other than that he doesn't improve your starting lineup.

I actually think Sjax is the 2nd best back on your team despite the fact he's not tearing it up at all. Martin will probably become that guy for you as he has fresher legs and is still learning but he's been unimpressive thus far and the bucs gave Blount all the red zone work last week. Leshoure is avg at best he's a pure volume runner. If he gets 25-30 carries he'll put up decent numbers if not he'll probably struggle like he did against the vikings. Also if Best comes back like the lions hope his value will take a big hit. Personally I've given up on Chris Johnson he's garbage. He's only had one game all season where he rushed for over 24 yds. For some reason he's lost his explosiveness and can no longer hit the holes like he used to.

If you have faith in Martin I would make the trade, getting Decker does tip the scales in your favor, and if you believe Johnson can bounce back this will end up being a steal for you.

Agree with this assessment. ;-D
Mean One
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 235)

Postby Hags888 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Just found out that Ryan Williams is out for the year. Not that I was counting on Ryan Williams for much, but it does make me second guess this trade a little. My RB would then be: McCoy - Martin - Leshoure - Johnson. Not very good. There are decent WR options on the waiver wire like Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem and Josh Gordon to replace my injured Danny Amendola.

I'm beginning to think that Steven Jackson/Devery Henderson would be better than Chris Johnson/Eric Decker.

Any other thoughts on this one?
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby hotpocket » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:54 pm

While it's not a bad trade, I don't think it really helps your team either. You are completely solid at WR. Johnson is just going to sit on your bench, and you'll hope that he somehow turns it on in the playoff stretch. To me, however, Johnson is pretty much fodder. He might have a couple okay games, but you won't ever feel comfortable starting him, and he shouldn't be unless something drastically changes (unlikely).

I like Decker, but like I said, you are solid at WR. If I made this trade, it would be to move one or both for pieces that actually made the team better.
hotpocket
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 12)

Postby MetsAllTheWay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 pm

I do like getting Decker as it gives you depth at WR. That said CJ has been a bust and I'm not sure if you can get anything out of him. If D. martin doesn't turn it around you may need to start SJAX. I would actually go for a QB if I were you. Thanks for your help on mine.
MetsAllTheWay
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby tantrix1969 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Hags888 wrote:Just found out that Ryan Williams is out for the year. Not that I was counting on Ryan Williams for much, but it does make me second guess this trade a little. My RB would then be: McCoy - Martin - Leshoure - Johnson. Not very good. There are decent WR options on the waiver wire like Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem and Josh Gordon to replace my injured Danny Amendola.

I'm beginning to think that Steven Jackson/Devery Henderson would be better than Chris Johnson/Eric Decker.

Any other thoughts on this one?

agree, if it were me I'd feel much better starting SJax/Henderson than Decker/CJ0k
"When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.” ~ Jerome Henderson on Cowboys rookie safety J.J. Wilcox
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 92)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions