Trying to turn a good dynasty pick into a great one - WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Trying to turn a good dynasty pick into a great one - WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trying to turn a good dynasty pick into a great one - WHIR

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 am

16 team dynasty. Our draft is next Sunday (Sept.1) and I currently have the 9th pick in every round, there are 7 rounds in the draft.

League details -
Starters: QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, K, team D
All TD's are 6 pts, 1 pt/75 yds passing, 1 pt/25 yds rushing or recieving

My current roster -
Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton
Trent Richardson, Shonn Greene, Jacquizz Rodgers
Pierre Garcon, Alshon Jeffery, Malcolm Floyd, Denarius Moore, Greg Little, Jarius Wright
Fred Davis
Justin Tucker

Obviously my most glaring weakness is RB. (Isn't that everyone's problem?)

One of the other owners was able to finagle 6 picks in the first round, and he earned the top pick all by himself, mainly by playing the wrong guys each week, his team really wasn't that bad.

Anyway, as the preseason has progressed, my opinion is that one rookie RB is head and shoulders above the rest this year - Giovanni. The others have some value, but Gio is the only one that I feel has the potential to be a fantasy stud for years to come.

Looking at the needs of the teams ahead of me in the draft, I believe that 6 RB's and 2 WR's will be gone. That leaves my current options at RB looking something like Jonathan Franklin, Knile Davis, Zac Stacy, or Christine Michael; Bryce Brown, Roy Helu, Knowshon Moreno and Joique Bell are also now available after drops have been made.

My question is, do you think it is worthwhile to work out a trade for the #1 pick in order to nab the guy I really want in Gio, or just hold fast and hope one of those other options pans out? I would like to get a full time starter at RB with my first round pick (I know, Gio isn't there yet, but I believe he will be by mid season).

If I make a trade, what would be worthwhile for me to give up? He has no glaring needs - his roster includes RG3, Stafford, Martin, Morris, Calvin, G. Tate, Blackmon, Hankerson, and K Rudolph.

Thanks in advance and leave a link!

;-D
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 443)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trying to turn a good dynasty pick into a great one - WH

Postby tkemo547 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:07 am

Yeah, compared to the team you are trying to trade with, you have a few holes. I think I would go with some young guys who have huge upside. B. Brown isn't bad if you don't trade. What about the rookies from N.E. , Hopkins, etc. Look for future value.

Thanks for the help with mine.
tkemo547
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks, I had already sent him an email, he suggested Richardson straight up, and i keep the #9 pick.

I don't like that, he's my workhorse for the next 5+ years. And I'd be looking at not having an actual starter at RB to begin the season.

Any ideas on counter offers?
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KELLYLEAK » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for helping with mine. No way do i trade T-Rich. I think he has a bright future health permitting. Of the guys you listed the guy with the most potential down the road, not necessarily this year is Christine Michael and it's not close. The Seahawks are loaded at rb with lynch and turbin and still picked this guy. He's a 1st round talent with off the field issues. Bryce Brown would be my 2nd choice if Mccoy gets hurt again.

Another option is to strengthen your weak wr crew. Deandre Hopkins, Kenbrall Thompkins, Reuben Randle, Terrance Williams, might all be sleepers this year and down the road.
KELLYLEAK
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jason497 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Well of course he's looking for players instead of picks, he's got a 3rd of the 1st round lol.

Trading T.Rich would defeat the purpose of the trade and would be a horrible downgrade. He'd have to give me multiple 1sts to consider that.

You might have to get creative and offer next year's 1st or something. You need a #2 RB and idk if anyone startable will be there at 9...Your team is pretty weak across the board so trading picks is probably the only solution.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 42)

Postby bdt13 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Ya don't touch trich he will be your workhorse. Stud RB w lots of touches.

I would look for wr depth to build up your team. As previous poster said, lots of potential sleeper talent out there.

Good,luck! ;-D
bdt13
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks guys, I of course turned that offer down. He'll come back and say that it was a fair value offer (which might make sense in bizzaro world, but TRich is a safer bet than any of the rookies this year, IMO)

I suggested either trading multiple picks, or including other players. I'll see what he comes back with, but I'm not really hopeful that we'll be able to meet in the middle. This guy is a good friend of mine, I know how he operates in fantasy world, and he doesn't work on fair trades, not many do in this league.

I've read a couple of you saying that my WR depth isn't great...admittedly, it's not the best group, but taking a look at the rest of this league, I'd put my guys fourth, with several other teams right in my neighborhood. In a 16 team league, it's hard to have a lot of depth at any position.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions!

;-D

Edit-any suggestions for trade offers would be welcome!
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby josborne2186 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Based off of the other guys team and the fact that he already has his 2 RB for the future do you think that he will for sure take Gio with his first overall? If you think he may fall then that gives you some wiggle room with the other teams to make some picks. Now unless of course this guy owns the first three picks with his ridiculous amount of 1st round picks then that sucks. But I don't see much trade bait for you with this guy and how his team is set up compared to yours. Sounds like this guy took the shady/coward way out and abandoned hope just to stack for the future (which i guess is strategy in a way). But anyways, I think if you can't get a reasonable deal out of him (Which means not trading Richardson) then just keep your pick and grab some talent to build your team around.

The way I look at it, and I hate to say this, even if you trade up and grab Gio, he won't put your team where it needs to be this year to beat this guy. But...

One trade option, is try and trade him picks for the future (since this seems to be a pretty good ongoing league and he likes to stack picks). Maybe give him your 1st and 4th (or one of your bench players) next season for his #1 this season. That way you snag up your RB2 for the future. There are a lot more sleeper and young talented WR that you can get this year later in the draft that will be value for years to come.

Either way good luck man, and thanks for the help on mine.
josborne2186
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby wtr23 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for helping with mine.

I think you'll be ok staying put, but thats more out of necessity. I really don't see anything you can trade for a first rounder that won't be bad for your starting lineup. By all means, send out some feeler, see if he'll bite on Little or D Moore for one of the later first. Then if you swing that you'll probably have to pair that with another pick to move up in the draft. If it doesn't end up working out for you, I think Michael will be a good pick in those later slots in the first round. Lynch can't play that style of football forever, someone will need to step up and he could be the guy.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Postby da bears » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:49 am

I think you stick w the 9th pick and roll the dice on one of those young backs. With so many injuries someone like Brown, Helu, or Michael could be great lottery picks this yr
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions