WR help: Jones, Welker, Shorts, Hilton, Alexander, or DHB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

WR help: Jones, Welker, Shorts, Hilton, Alexander, or DHB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

WR help: Jones, Welker, Shorts, Hilton, Alexander, or DHB?

Postby curtk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Team and league info are in my sig.

I have to choose three of these WRs for week 12:
Julio Jones @ TB (2nd for WRS)
Welker @ NYJ (28th for WRS)
Shorts vs TEN (14th for WRS)
Hilton vs BUF (11th for WRS)
Danario Alexander vs BAL (21st for WRS)
DHB @ CIN (25th for WRS)

Jones is still battling an ankle problem, as is Welker. Plus, Welker has a traditonally tough matchup. I realize that Revis is out, but with Gronk (and Hernandez?) out, Welker will garner more attention. Someone like Edelman can come along and get all Brady's attention again. In addition, NE plays Thursday, and offenses have not played well this year on the short week. But it's tough to bench either of those guys, if they play. Shorts has been money, but Hilton looks good, too. Alexander had a big game this week and has been improving, but has a tough matchup this week.

What do you think? If you could rank them, that would be a great help.

Leave a link for return help...thanks!
curtk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WR help: Jones, Welker, Shorts, Hilton, Alexander, or DH

Postby zjk924 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm

In terms of Julio Jones, you gotta wait till Thursday morning. If he hasn't practiced all week, or if he's been limited in practice, you bench him. I'd put in Welker. Jets D is pretty bad these days, and the fact that both Gronk and Hernandez are out is GOOD for Welker, not bad for him. He can outrun anyone in the Jets secondary.
As for T.Y. Hilton, you also gotta wait and see. If Donnie Avery hasn't practiced by Thursday, then he's going to be limited on Sunday and Hilton will be in for a big game. Luck's a good quarterback, and even though they lost to the Pats by a wide margin, they scored a lot and he got good yardage. He'll do even better against Buffalo.

Now, if either Julio Jones and/or Hilton look like they're going to be limited, based on the injury reports by Thursday morning, I think Danario Alexander vs. a weakened Baltimore (they just lost Ed Reed for a week due to suspension), and Darrius Heyward-Bey against a weak Cincinnati defense are your best bets.

In simplified form, what I'm saying is:
Wes Welker should be your #1
Julio Jones should be your #2 if he's not been limited in practice by Thursday morning
T.Y. Hilton should be your #3 if Donnie Avery has been in practice by Thursday morning
Danario Alexander should be your #4 is EITHER Julio Jones or T.Y. Hilton are not viable for the reasons stated above.
Darrius Heyward-Bey should be your #5 if BOTH Julio Jones AND T.Y Hilton are not viable for the reasons stated above.

Wow... That was complicated, haha. Unfortunately, not as complicated as mine :-P viewtopic.php?t=530116
zjk924
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 30)

Postby Korik110 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I have Alexander as well and I think he is now a legit #1 WR. He just put up big numbers against a tough Denver D. The key is whether Rivers has any time in the pocket. He rarely did against the Broncos, but when he did, he found Alexander. Ravens have a solid pass rush but they aren't the dominant defense they have been in the past. I think Rivers will be able to connect with Alexander frequently. Bottom line, Alexander is a physical freak of nature who is also blessed with great hands. Hard to bench him if he is healthy.

I have Shorts as well and he is an under the radar WR who has actually had a great season. He had big numbers again last week but his number of targets was a little discouraging. I hope Henne will look his way more this week. If he does, I think he gets big # s again because the guy is a legit big play threat.
Korik110
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby leffe186 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm

I'd agree with most of zjk's post, except that I just don't see Julio Jones having much impact this week. Watch the injury, obviously, but I just don't see him getting much time. The Falcons are in such a strong position that they can afford to limit his snaps to rest the ankle - they'd be crazy to push it.

Alexander is the real deal.

Shorts is a funny one. I' keep playing him against my gut instinct, and he keeps coming up with the goods. He has great matchups pretty much all the way now. I'd def play him over Heyward-Bey

(1) Welker
(2) Hilton (but check Avery)
(3) Alexander
(4) Shorts
(5) Heyward-Bey
(6) Jones

Thanks for your help viewtopic.php?f=19&t=530181
leffe186
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 101)

Postby big.d57 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:55 am

I'd go Welker, Shorts and Alexander. Alexander is a stud when healthy, Welker will see a lot of targets, and Shorts is becoming better and better as the year goes by. Shorts should continue to be one of Henne's favorite targets.
big.d57
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby curtk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks for the help. For any future posters, I already started Welker, so I need two of the others...
curtk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:11 am

I think you've gotta start Danario Alexander and then wait just before game time to see what they say about Julio Jones. If he's not supposed to be too limited go with him, otherwise go with Shorts.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby curtk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:I think you've gotta start Danario Alexander and then wait just before game time to see what they say about Julio Jones. If he's not supposed to be too limited go with him, otherwise go with Shorts.

Thanks. That's what I'd planned, but now we know that he's starting and he's somewhat limited. I have a tough matchup and really need to win this week. Can I risk starting Julio again? What if they throw to Roddy early, get up big, and then rest Julio? Arrgh!!!
curtk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby zjk924 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:00 pm

I hope you went with Jones and Hilton....
zjk924
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 30)

Postby curtk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:31 pm

zjk924 wrote:I hope you went with Jones and Hilton....

Nope, I started Alexander and Shorts. By the end of the week, I was going to start Alexander, regardless, so my decision came down to Shorts or Jones. I couldn't risk starting Hilton with Avery back. As it turned out, Shorts was only four points "short" of Jones. I'm leading my league in points this week by a wide margin and have no real risk of losing my matchup (I'm up 118-74 and my opponent only has Nicks against my Tynes).

Actually, my sudden wealth of WRs could make life difficult the rest of the season as I have to decide each week! Don't be surprised to see me back each week asking for advice about them! :)

Thanks for the help...
curtk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Who to Start/Bench