Laugh at the winner who lost, right? Funny, but serious, too - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Laugh at the winner who lost, right? Funny, but serious, too

Moderator: Football Moderators

Laugh at the winner who lost, right? Funny, but serious, too

Postby Papa Deuce » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 pm

OK, so I am not the commissioner in my league. I also finished 3rd. But I have to tell this story here and see what y'all think. ( tho the issue has already been resolved ).... I was unaware of this until yesterday.

Our league finishes in week 17. We are a total points league. Three people had a shot at winning the league. I was one, but my team was terrible in week 17..... Oh well....

Player A starts the week in 1st place by about 10 points.... At the end of the day, Player B has won the league,... it seems.... but Player A calls the commish AFTER the games are over and says that the website was messed up, and it would not allow him to start CJ Spiller as one of his RBs. The commsih takes the guy at his word and awards the guy Spiller's points, which makes him the winner. The guy who now is listed in 2nd place is pissed. I agree with the guy who is pissed.

Yesterday the commish called me and asked for my opinion, as I am considered the assistant , tho I never do anything.

So, what I said was that the guy who called in AFTER the games were over was the loser even if he was telling the 100% truth..... He should have called the commish, or sent an email, or just posted his starters on the sites message board. Instead, on the day that the championship was being decided, he got lazy, and did nothing until all the games were over. I said that the guy was an idiot to think that he could do that on any day, but especially on the day that the championship was being decided. So, the commish took my advice and reversed his decision.

So now they guy who thinks he should be the winner has quit the league, but get this, he says he is filing a small claims suit against the league to get his "winnings". Now, I doubt he will actually file a suit, but the guy is a hot head, and he just might..... I don't know the exact money, but let's say about $750.

So, the guy who was lazy would "lose" in your league, right?

EDIT: This is a 22 year old league, and the guy who tried to BS the commish is a 12 year owner.... We have never had a "rule" about late submissions, but until week 17, we have never had an issue in 22 years.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Laugh at the winner who lost, right? Funny, but serious,

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:17 am

Yeah that guy would lose in my league, 99% of the time. If it was something super obvious and he left a roster spot blank or left an injured player when you know he is usually on top of stuff then i may try and get the 2 teams to come to an agreement seeing how its such a long running league. But as far as the fair thing to do, its to give the guy that rightfully won his win. I had the same issue in my league and my response was that if you wait until 5 minutes before kick off to set your roster than you deserve it (last minute news not withstanding). You have all week to set your roster and most weeks, especially this year, there isnt much last minute news that really changes your mind about your starter.

Even with all of that being said if you procrastinate and don't set it until the last minute and have an issue then do one of the things you said in your post. If you genuinely had a problem (they happen) then there are many ways to reach out to someone in the league so you have something to fall back on in the end. The most important thing is that if you let this guy make the change then your league loses its credibility, and you will continue to have this down the line. Allowing someone to set their lineup with the final stats already tallied is a bad precedent to set, you wouldn't allow someoene to place a bet on a game after it was over would you?
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 am

mycuccismells wrote:Yeah that guy would lose in my league, 99% of the time. If it was something super obvious and he left a roster spot blank or left an injured player when you know he is usually on top of stuff then i may try and get the 2 teams to come to an agreement seeing how its such a long running league. But as far as the fair thing to do, its to give the guy that rightfully won his win. I had the same issue in my league and my response was that if you wait until 5 minutes before kick off to set your roster than you deserve it (last minute news not withstanding). You have all week to set your roster and most weeks, especially this year, there isnt much last minute news that really changes your mind about your starter.

Even with all of that being said if you procrastinate and don't set it until the last minute and have an issue then do one of the things you said in your post. If you genuinely had a problem (they happen) then there are many ways to reach out to someone in the league so you have something to fall back on in the end. The most important thing is that if you let this guy make the change then your league loses its credibility, and you will continue to have this down the line. Allowing someone to set their lineup with the final stats already tallied is a bad precedent to set, you wouldn't allow someoene to place a bet on a game after it was over would you?

I agree with this.

If the guy had a problem setting his lineup he should have sent the Comish a note immediately prior to the start of the game, NOT after - the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I'll go one better. I could care less if he had trouble. There is a deadline, he missed it, he loses.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Papa Deuce wrote:So now they guy who thinks he should be the winner has quit the league

Problem over. He won't file a suit.

update your league bylaws to cover this. Sucks that there was a bad apple, but when money is involved it's always better to be explicit rather than implied.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Papa Deuce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 am

scottaa1 wrote:
Papa Deuce wrote:So now they guy who thinks he should be the winner has quit the league

Problem over. He won't file a suit.

update your league bylaws to cover this. Sucks that there was a bad apple, but when money is involved it's always better to be explicit rather than implied.

We would actually have to create by - laws, LOL. In 22 years this has been 100% done verbally, by and large, with no significant issues until now.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 27)

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 am

Papa Deuce wrote:We would actually have to create by - laws, LOL. In 22 years this has been 100% done verbally, by and large, with no significant issues until now.

Yeah thats how my league is as well. Hasn't been going that long but when you are dealing with fantasy and close friends that you have known for decades you figure that people will just act decent. If your winner gets $750 you are probably playing for $100; if you are going to let that little of money get between someone you have known for over a decade then thats a problem. Unless you are talking thousands i would just expect my friends/family to settle anything that slips through the cracks civilly
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Return to Commissioner's Corner