20%
Williams deal
60%
Gore deal
20%

Total votes : 5

Best RB trade

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Well, it seems the trade frenzy in this league has slowed down. There were 3 significant trades for borderline top-10 RBs. I'd like to hear what people think of them- ie, who got the best RB, who gave up the least, who got the best deal in return for the elite RB. I did one of the deals, so I'll wait before chiming in.

A rundown on the deals-

Trade #1-
Cedric Benson and 1.09
FOR
1.03 and 3rd in 2011

Trade #2-
Deangelo Williams, Eddie Royal, and Donald Brown
FOR
Mike Sims-Walker, 1.09, and 2011 1st rounder

Trade #3-
Frank Gore, Matt Leinart, 3.04, 2011 2nd
FOR
Michael Bush, Chad Henne, Deon Butler, 1.11, 2.11, 2011 1st
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best RB trade

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:22 pm

I thought the DeAngelo trade was a great deal. Getting Donald Brown as a throw-in really threw it over the top. You're not going to get a RB with as much value as Brown in either of those 1sts. (That said I like Mike Williams and MSW a lot.)

I would be selling Gore too, and I think he got a decent return on Gore. If Bush turns out it looks like a great trade. If not, at least he still sold Gore while he had a bit of value, and he still has 2 great RBs in Greene and MJD.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:40 pm

I some opinions...but ill wait a few days...since my trade is listed.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:58 pm

I think it's also important to take into consideration what their rosters looked like before and after the deals, and like some you may not know the result until after a year or so when you can reflect on it.

The Benson deal made sense on both sides, getting in the top 4 sets you up for the future with a young talented back that you can't get at 1.09, and if you don't think he's going to repeat his performance last year it's a good time to sell high. Depending on my team I could of saw myself on either end of the deal, I personally like Best alot so I would have no problem with it.

In the Gore deal I think the M. Bush side got the best. It's a risky downgrade, but I think Bush is talented enough to produce like a high end RB2 and maybe RB1 eventually on a team that loves to run, and you get younger also. Still it's worth that risk to get Henne over Leinart, two 1st, and a 2nd. Gore still has 3 years or so of top 5 RB ability in him, so I can see it.

With my trade, my WR core was lacking big time. I also feel confident in Felix Jones as a high upside RB2 next to CJ, and LeSean McCoy can fill in as a bye week RB and I'll see how that works out until next year when I have 2 1st. I think MSW is going to produce like a WR1 in a contract year, and when he was healthy last year he pretty much did. Mike Williams I also think is a future WR1 but is startable as a rookie this year in spot play, 2 guys I really coveted and gave me a big boost. I also love the 2011 draft and stock piling two 1st was something I was interested in doing.

Don't really like Donald Brown more then a 3rd down type of back more then a carry the load back but I could be wrong, and while I still love Deangelo more then most I didn't think I needed to keep him my team competitive. Granted if both the WR's I got bust, and my 2011 1st is 11th or something and DWILL explodes it won't be a good look for me, but I know I do like my team alot better after it then before it, and there is a big talent pool to choose from next season.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:24 am

The way I see it, there are 3 ways to look at the trades-

The RBs themselves
Benson has the least upside of the three. The main selling points are all about his situation- workhorse carries, great offensive line, adequate passing game, good defense. His skills aren't often mentioned.
Gore is a workhorse back, can take it between the tackles and is a receiving weapon. The pounding he took early in his career and the fact he seems to miss games each year are his main negatives. Some think he has 3 years of elite or near-elite production.
Williams is at least as talented as Gore but has much less wear and tear. His timeshare with JStew reduces his appeal, but his contract is up at the end of the year. He can either go to another team to be a workhorse (more touches, reduced career span) or stay with Stewart splitting touches.

What sent with RB
The Benson owner moved from late to early 1st. As LS2 said, the chance to get an elite RB, not available at 1.09, helps The Show build young depth behind Mendenhall and SJax.
The Gore owner upgraded from Leinart to Henne, a sizable improvement. Giving up what will likely at the lowest be a mid-2nd in 2011 for a late 2nd in 2010 was a marginal change.
DeAngelo Williams was packed off with Eddie Royal and Donald Brown. Royal has little value, even in a dynasty, but Brown's value varies wildly from owner to owner. The Williams/Brown package is significant and may not have been fully compensated for.

What sent in return
Benson was combined with 1.09 to get 1.03 and a 3rd in 2011. Barry's Boyz get the bellcow back desperately needed as Barber, Westbrook and T Jones age.
The former Gore owner got Michael Bush, Henne, Butler, 2 1sts and a 2011 2nd. Henne is a stuck to the bench with Matt Ryan already aboard and Butler is merely a development prospect. One pick was at the end of the 1st and the 2011 pick will likely be as late. Too much hinges on Bush, while the 1st rounders (likely coming at the end) are far from guaranteed.
The DAW owner got a 2011 1st, MSW and 1.09. I'm not a Sims-Walker fan- he's injury-prone and has too much offensive uncertainty. Getting 2 1st rounders is nice, but not enough in my opinion for a talent like Williams.

I like the Benson deal the most- the least risk for the team trading the "elite" RB away while the team that got him gave up appropriate value.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 pm

I liked the Williams/Royal/Brown deal (which I received). I like Williams upside, and as you mentioned this is a contract year for him. I'm hopeful Royal responds from his sophomore slump. I really like Brown - the Colts used a high draft pick on him because they're not 100% sold on Addai - Brown was nicked up and injured most of last season, so we never really got to see him show his true potential. The fact the Colts didn't draft an RB this year tells me they're happy with Brown as the heir apparent.
;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I think it's also important to take into consideration what their rosters looked like before and after the deals, and like some you may not know the result until after a year or so when you can reflect on it.

So, a season, after the trades, how would you assess them?-
Trade #1-
Cedric Benson and 1.09
FOR
1.03 and 3rd in 2011

Trade #2-
Deangelo Williams, Eddie Royal, and Donald Brown
FOR
Mike Sims-Walker, 1.09, and 2011 1st rounder

Trade #3-
Frank Gore, Matt Leinart, 3.04, 2011 2nd
FOR
Michael Bush, Chad Henne, Deon Butler, 1.11, 2.11, 2011 1st[/quote]

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 am

Who Did the picks end up being?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 am

aaawall91 wrote:Who Did the picks end up being?

1.3 was Best. 1.9 was Williams. 1.11 was G. Tate.

The 2011 1st in the DeAngelo trade ended up being 1.1. Oof.

The 2011 1st in the Gore trade ended up being 1.8 (with the 2nd going the other way being 2.2).

The DeAngelo trade ends up looking pretty terrible. A lot of that is because LS2 hit on MW. I don't think a future early 1st for DeAngelo is that bad - you gotta roll the dice - and he could still have a good year or two in him.

The Benson trade ends up looking pretty fair. A lot of that is because LS2 hit on MW. MW for Best is pretty even.

The Gore trade seems to slightly favor Gore. Ended up with Bush and a bunch of fliers basically. 1.8 this year is a crapshoot. If he had taken Bradford or a TE at 1.11 last year it would look a lot better, but not many people were doing that (esp in PPR) so I don't blame him.
thriftyrocker

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:45 am

Oops. I guess Bradford was taken 1.10 here anyway. Haha.
thriftyrocker

Next

Return to Horse Traders