The wheels fell off - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

The wheels fell off

Moderator: Football Moderators

The wheels fell off

Postby stomperrob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am

That was just plain ugly, really brutal! I'm not among those calling for Jim Schwartz's head (but then I'm also a Steelers fan and we tend to give our coaches a decade or two to get things right, lol). I'm more inclined to think special teams coach Danny Crossman and OC Scott Linehan should join the ranks of the unemployed in motor city.

Grading the Lions in loss to Vikings
October 1, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Quarterback

B-: Matthew Stafford had another 300-yard passing day, but this one was kind of hollow. His accuracy was a hair off on several completions, like the third-and-7 pass on Calvin Johnson's back hip that went for 6 yards, and when he was on target, his receivers couldn't hold on to the ball. Stafford completed 30 of 51 passes and scored the Lions' only touchdown on a 1-yard run, but the Lions are settling for field goals too often early in games.

Running backs

C: Mikel Leshoure hardly looked like the same player who ran for 100 yards last week in his NFL debut. Lions coach Jim Schwartz did not think Leshoure's tender groin was an issue. Leshoure had 13 carries for 26 yards and a big fumble in Vikings territory. Joique Bell continues to play hard and produce in limited action. Bell had six catches for 72 yards, including a big 23-yard gain where he
spun off a few tackles on third-and-10.

Receivers & tight ends

C-: Drops continue to be an issue for tight end Brandon Pettigrew, who had two Sunday, including one on a sure touchdown late in the first half that forced the Lions to settle for a field goal. Titus Young dropped a third-down pass that would have kept a drive alive, and even Calvin Johnson had a down day. Johnson had five catches for 54 yards in 12 targets as defenses continue to limit his production with double and triple coverage early.

Offensive line

D: Here's Jim Schwartz's assessment: "We got our butts kicked up front. Sacked, couldn't run the ball. Again, physically we need to be able to do that better." The Lions allowed five sacks, averaged 2.8 yards a carry and had a costly miscommunication on a fourth-and-goal play that ended with Stafford getting pummeled by Everson Griffen. It started early, too. On the Lions' second possession, Jared Allen ran by Jeff Backus to stuff Leshoure for a 3-yard loss and Letroy Guion beat Stephen Peterman outside for a sack.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20121001/S ... y=obinsite
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The wheels fell off

Postby moochman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Of course the cloak and dagger Lions FO signed Schwartz to a contract for the next ?????? years. Idiots. Lions bought high. So he is probably safe until Mayhew gets fired. (As he deserves) I have no issue whatsoever with Linehan getting canned. Crossman should have been fired first thing Monday morning. If not by Schwartz, Mayhew should have done the deed. His presence on the team is a just like the fast-food nudist, Cullen?, was for the previous regime. A dude who has never done well at his job but is retained for reasons that have nothing to do with results. He must throw the best parties or something.
What I fear with Schwartz is that he thinks Linehan is doing a great job....because he is following orders. Schwartz is a risk mangager, meaning take no risks. Play not to lose. I swear vs the Vikes I thought I was watching Joey Blueskies checking down. Not sure if I am more sick or furious. Either way, I think the Lions frugality in searching for a Millen replacement has led to our current condition. Which, at 1-3, is grave.

Fire the whole dang bunch, says I. You don't pay a QB and WR top dollars to let the defense dictate the playcalling.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Lions