Xanadu... or the begining of the end for the M&M gang? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Xanadu... or the begining of the end for the M&M gang?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Xanadu... or the begining of the end for the M&M gang?

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Lions hiring of Broncos ex-GM Brain Xanders is a curious move in that not only have they done something they seldom do, admitting they need help, but they have a guy who appears a more capable GM than the incumbant. This from the Denver Post:
Brian Xanders, the Denver Broncos' general manager for three years until he was let go last May, was hired Monday by the Detroit Lions as a senior personnel executive.
The move fortifies the Lions' front office, which is led by general manager Martin Mayhew. Xanders, 41, had worked in the NFL for 18-plus seasons with the Atlanta Falcons (1994-2007) and Broncos (2008-12).
With the Lions, Xanders will be involved in college and pro scouting. During his GM term with the Broncos, 32 of 35 drafted players and 13 undrafted rookies made the opening day roster.
NFL head coaches Xanders has worked with include Dan Reeves, Jim Mora, Shanahan, McDaniels and John Fox.

Link: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22 ... roit-lions

Clearly this guys is way more qualified and appears to be way more competent than Martin Mahem. Now given the egomaniacal head twists he has worked for, Shanahan, Josh McDaniels and Elway, it is hard to know who had the say in drafting players, but at least the group of players to choose from seems to have been much better than Mahem's Matt Millen dart board. The most optimistic me hopes that he will take over player evaluation and procurement.
Typical Lions, too cowardly to admit mistakes and just let Mayem go. But at least for the time being its something different than what they have been doing. Gives a glimmer of hope to Christmas this year. (AKA Draft day)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Xanadu... or the begining of the end for the M&M gang?

Postby dream_017 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:09 pm

moochman wrote: But at least for the time being its something different than what they have been doing. Gives a glimmer of hope to Christmas this year. (AKA Draft day)

My thoughts exactly. I love the move - as long as he is given the chance to do what he does...and that what he does is reflective of the talent that has been drafted in Atl and Den
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Lions