#2 overall pick in 2013 draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2013 NFL Draft

#2 overall pick in 2013 draft

#2 overall pick in 2013 draft

Postby kevinkallberg » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Doesn't look like it's going to be a special draft for position players. Two years ago it was AJ Green and Julio Jones, this year Luck, RG3, T-rich and D-Martin. 2013 it's all defensive players and some O-Line, no STUD RB's or WR's.

If you guy's had a top pick in next years draft, what would you do with it? Draft the best RB or WR available in the draft OR trade the pick away for 2014's draft?
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: #2 overall pick in 2013 draft

Postby T-Lo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 pm

It really depends on what team you are looking from. The Chiefs need a quarterback, regardless of if there is one as apparently promising as RGIII or Luck. Also, Keenan Allen is a legit WR to transition to the NFL from what I have read. Tyler Eifert at TE could be a good pick for a team lacking there.

But 7/8ths of the teams will likely be going for DEF, in that you are correct. I'm new to actually analyzing college guys and the NFL draft, I would usually ignore it until the fantasy draft and just pick who had more hype.
T-Lo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 68)

Postby kevinkallberg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 pm

My team is rebuilding, I have Luck as my QB and Megatron and T-Rich as my top WR and RB. I'll be looking to go either RB or WR, or possibly trading it away for a boatload of picks for 2014...(should have much more talent to go around) especially with Marquise Lee possibly entering that years draft.

Keenan Allen is one of the guys I'm looking at, also that Giovanni Benard for a RB as well.
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dynastyman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Every year I promise myself to make sure I stay objective and also do not spend TOO much time trying to project rookies until AFTER the NFL draft has concluded.

And every year I have failed.

I think the very top end of the draft is largely ok to talk about though given people should be drafting for talent rather than situation. I mean, despite landing in what we all knew was a terrible spot, Jacksonville, Blackmon largely remained a top 5 rookie pick. I think the same can be said for Keenan and Monte Ball.

I am a Wisconsin fan, so I am well aware of the blocking Monte has received...but make no mistake he has legit NFL talent. He is a natural runner with good instincts and vision. His athleticism is not the best, that is, he isnt the fastest or strongest, but he has a solid set of skills. If he is drafted by a team with a need and a decent OL I see no reason not to jump at the guy. I would listen to other arguments though, I do acknowledge my fandom.
dynastyman
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby kevinkallberg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

dynastyman wrote:Every year I promise myself to make sure I stay objective and also do not spend TOO much time trying to project rookies until AFTER the NFL draft has concluded.

I think the very top end of the draft is largely ok to talk about though given people should be drafting for talent rather than situation. I mean, despite landing in what we all knew was a terrible spot, Jacksonville, Blackmon largely remained a top 5 rookie pick. I think the same can be said for Keenan and Monte Ball.

I am a Wisconsin fan, so I am well aware of the blocking Monte has received...but make no mistake he has legit NFL talent. He is a natural runner with good instincts and vision. His athleticism is not the best, that is, he isnt the fastest or strongest, but he has a solid set of skills. If he is drafted by a team with a need and a decent OL I see no reason not to jump at the guy. I would listen to other arguments though, I do acknowledge my fandom.

I'm a Big 10 fan as well (Ohio State) and I have watched Montee Ball for years. I also believe he is a talented RB and will have success in the NFL, but like you said with his O-Line and him being a senior already having a lot of milege on his legs, I think he'd be the 3rd to 5th RB I might take in a fantasy draft. Kinda all depends on who declares to come out for the draft. Thanks for your outlook
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Indibuck » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:52 pm

kevinkallberg wrote:
dynastyman wrote:Every year I promise myself to make sure I stay objective and also do not spend TOO much time trying to project rookies until AFTER the NFL draft has concluded.

I'm a Big 10 fan as well (Ohio State) and I have watched Montee Ball for years. I also believe he is a talented RB and will have success in the NFL, but like you said with his O-Line and him being a senior already having a lot of milege on his legs, I think he'd be the 3rd to 5th RB I might take in a fantasy draft. Kinda all depends on who declares to come out for the draft. Thanks for your outlook

Then you both should watch tape of the 2012 Ohio State/Wisconsin game. In a microcosm, it shows the strengths and weaknesses of Ball.

Ball is ultra-effective when he has a lane and goes... When he is running downhill, he is very tough to stop.

Conversely, when Ball has to make someone miss in the backfield, it's tough for him to make a big play out of it. When the Buckeye d-line got some penetration on running plays, Bell was stopped.

Unfortunately for Buckeye fans, there wasn't a ton of said penetration, and Ball had a big day in the eventual loss.

All that being said, most NFL teams run a 1-back set where the RB is required to make one man miss. Unless Ball lands in a perfect situation tailored to his strengths, I think he is going to struggle to match the production you will need to justify the high pick you will likely have to spend to get him.

He's a guy I will likely pass on.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Return to 2013 NFL Draft