It appears Fitz will slay the Madden Curse - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

It appears Fitz will slay the Madden Curse

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: It appears Fitz will slay the Madden Curse

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:55 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Montana168 wrote:there is too much evidence to support the madden curse.

Like the evidence that every year, there a number of high profile players that get hurt or have a down year O:-)

Maybe there is a curse against being an NFL player in general ;-7

Yeah, this is what I think too - as an NFL player, the odds are really not in your favor, and while I have to admit this "curse" is almost as repeatable as gravity, there's gotta be something more to it than just that 8-o :-b
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:58 pm

Hopefully he can put an end to the annual Madden curse threads!!! :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby biju » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Montana168 wrote:this is the first year that madden has placed 2 players on the cover. maybe the curse only applies to 1 player. :-D

biju....while i do agree with you that superstitous unicorns are a waste of time, there is too much evidence to support the madden curse. since madden started putting players on the cover, no one has beaten. favre came close last yr but he had a shoulder injury/sucked down the stretch. they simply can't ALL be coincidences when there is too much evidence to refute that. also, at this point if i did miss someone that did NOT get hurt, then they would simply be an outlier at this point.

This is simply not true. Do you want to go over each one?

Garrison Hearst (Madden 99): He had a great year with 2,105 total yards. Oh, he did have a costly fumble in the offseason.

Barry Sanders (Madden 2000): For the record, Madden is on the cover of this (and was on the cover of the so-called Hearst Madden as well). Sanders didn't get hurt or suck, he just decided enough was enough with the lowly Lions.

Dorsey Levens (Madden 2000 for UK): Levens had a great year with 1,600+ total yards.

Eddie George (Madden 2001): Once again this is the way these work: Madden 2001 came out in 2000 when Eddie George had an awesome year. It was in 2001 (the year *after* this game came out) when he had an injury plagued year.

Daunte Culpepper (Madden 2002): Yes, he had a down year due to injury. This is actually the first game where this stupid "curse" strikes.

Marshall Faulk (Madden 2003): Faulk had a down year in 2002 but this was mostly due to losing Kurt Warner and Orlando Pace, and the overall health of the Rams. On top of that, his total yardage was still very good (1,490 yards). No go there cursey.

Michael Vick (Madden 2004): Yep, down year due to injury. The curse is 2 for 7 so far.

Ray Lewis (Madden 2005): He missed two games due to injury in 2004 while being an AFC Pro Bowler that year. No, this isn't a curse year.

Donovan McNabb (Madden 2006): McNabb was injured for the last half or so of the games. Cursey is 3 for 9.

Shaun Alexander (Madden 2007): Ok, this was a horrible year for Alexander. But I do believe everyone knows that the O-line and passing game is what made Alexander great, not his talent. This was the year Hutchinson signed the poison pill and left to wear an ugly purple uniform, and Matt Hasselbeck was injured. I'll give the curse a 50% on this one at best.

Vince Young (Madden 2008): He led the Titans to the playoffs. It was only *after* this that he had problems. Curse is 3.5 for 11.

Brett Favre (Madden 2009): Came back from retirement and eventually was injured, although didn't miss a game. I'm not sure coming out of retirement is a negative, but the Jets' slide at the end of the year was. I'll give it to the curse: 4.5 of 12.

Fitzgerald/Polamalu (Madden 10): Polamalu injured. Fitzgerald isn't. Curse is 5.5 of 14.

Now let's talk about injuries in the NFL. According to this study the rate at which NFL injuries occur is that about 50% of all players in the NFL experience an injury at some point in the season, with 40% of starting QBs missing at least one game and 50% of all starting RBs missing at least one game. (Study was done in 2005 and I didn't update any of this data through 2009).

Final answer: The curse must be cursed, because it doesn't work. Less than half of those players on the cover were injured during their supposed cover season, so if anything they are being protected. It's just sensationalism at its finest and people who don't actually think get caught up in it.

Suck it unicorns.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

biju wrote:
Montana168 wrote:this is the first year that madden has placed 2 players on the cover. maybe the curse only applies to 1 player. :-D

biju....while i do agree with you that superstitous unicorns are a waste of time, there is too much evidence to support the madden curse. since madden started putting players on the cover, no one has beaten. favre came close last yr but he had a shoulder injury/sucked down the stretch. they simply can't ALL be coincidences when there is too much evidence to refute that. also, at this point if i did miss someone that did NOT get hurt, then they would simply be an outlier at this point.

This is simply not true. Do you want to go over each one?

Garrison Hearst (Madden 99): He had a great year with 2,105 total yards. Oh, he did have a costly fumble in the offseason.

Barry Sanders (Madden 2000): For the record, Madden is on the cover of this (and was on the cover of the so-called Hearst Madden as well). Sanders didn't get hurt or suck, he just decided enough was enough with the lowly Lions.

Dorsey Levens (Madden 2000 for UK): Levens had a great year with 1,600+ total yards.

Eddie George (Madden 2001): Once again this is the way these work: Madden 2001 came out in 2000 when Eddie George had an awesome year. It was in 2001 (the year *after* this game came out) when he had an injury plagued year.

Daunte Culpepper (Madden 2002): Yes, he had a down year due to injury. This is actually the first game where this stupid "curse" strikes.

Marshall Faulk (Madden 2003): Faulk had a down year in 2002 but this was mostly due to losing Kurt Warner and Orlando Pace, and the overall health of the Rams. On top of that, his total yardage was still very good (1,490 yards). No go there cursey.

Michael Vick (Madden 2004): Yep, down year due to injury. The curse is 2 for 7 so far.

Ray Lewis (Madden 2005): He missed two games due to injury in 2004 while being an AFC Pro Bowler that year. No, this isn't a curse year.

Donovan McNabb (Madden 2006): McNabb was injured for the last half or so of the games. Cursey is 3 for 9.

Shaun Alexander (Madden 2007): Ok, this was a horrible year for Alexander. But I do believe everyone knows that the O-line and passing game is what made Alexander great, not his talent. This was the year Hutchinson signed the poison pill and left to wear an ugly purple uniform, and Matt Hasselbeck was injured. I'll give the curse a 50% on this one at best.

Vince Young (Madden 2008): He led the Titans to the playoffs. It was only *after* this that he had problems. Curse is 3.5 for 11.

Brett Favre (Madden 2009): Came back from retirement and eventually was injured, although didn't miss a game. I'm not sure coming out of retirement is a negative, but the Jets' slide at the end of the year was. I'll give it to the curse: 4.5 of 12.

Fitzgerald/Polamalu (Madden 10): Polamalu injured. Fitzgerald isn't. Curse is 5.5 of 14.

Now let's talk about injuries in the NFL. According to this study the rate at which NFL injuries occur is that about 50% of all players in the NFL experience an injury at some point in the season, with 40% of starting QBs missing at least one game and 50% of all starting RBs missing at least one game. (Study was done in 2005 and I didn't update any of this data through 2009).

Final answer: The curse must be cursed, because it doesn't work. Less than half of those players on the cover were injured during their supposed cover season, so if anything they are being protected. It's just sensationalism at its finest and people who don't actually think get caught up in it.

Suck it unicorns.

You totally forgot Luis Castillo on the cover of Madden '08 en Espanol! :-b
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Of even greater concern is the curse of not being on the cover of Madden!

So far this season it's struck Anthony Gonzalez, Brian Westbrook, Matt Ryan, Mathew Stafford, Steve Slaton, Clinton Portis, Troy Polamalu, Jamal Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, Marc Bulger, Ladell Betts, Ronnie Brown, Keenan Burton, Owen Daniels, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, E.J. Henderson, Shawn Rogers, Aaron Kampman, Lofa Tatupu, Antoine Winfield, D'Qwell Jackson, Aaron Smith, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

I mean it must be a curse - how else to explain these injuries in such a passive, non-violent sport as pro football???

:-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 pm

stomperrob wrote:Of even greater concern is the curse of not being on the cover of Madden!

So far this season it's struck Anthony Gonzalez, Brian Westbrook, Matt Ryan, Mathew Stafford, Steve Slaton, Clinton Portis, Troy Polamalu, Jamal Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, Marc Bulger, Ladell Betts, Ronnie Brown, Keenan Burton, Owen Daniels, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, E.J. Henderson, Shawn Rogers, Aaron Kampman, Lofa Tatupu, Antoine Winfield, D'Qwell Jackson, Aaron Smith, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

I mean it must be a curse - how else to explain these injuries in such a passive, non-violent sport as pro football???

:-o :-b ;-D
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LeBron James » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:29 pm

stomperrob wrote:Of even greater concern is the curse of not being on the cover of Madden!

Does Troy have a twin brother??? :-D
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby LeBron James » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm

To test this curse why don't we put a head coach on the cover. If a RB runs out of bounds and breaks that head-coach's ACL, then yes, there really is a curse. ;-D
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Montana168 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:35 pm

great post biju, but i'm not going to take the time to spend that kind of time on my argument with it being finals week. im not sure if i'd count the first 3 bcuz levins was a UK version, not US. sanders was faded in the background, along with a defender trying to tackle him but madden was the feature. also hearst on the cover was a limited edition or something...madden was on most of the covers. i wouldnt count those first 3 but okay according to ur "calculations" it would still not effect the outcome as much. also, VY had 9 td/17 INT his madden cover yr...i wouldn't call that a successful year. titans made the playoffs bcuz of their defense, not VY. BUT i simply do not care about this arguement to do research on it and break down each cover lol. again, great post biju.
Montana168
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slayer Rules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:41 pm

What about the Snickers curse and Vinatieri - no one ever talks about this
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball