Gates' value with Shaw-McCardell in town - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gates' value with Shaw-McCardell in town

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:49 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:My bad... I was thinking about Engram for some reason. He's not ancient either, but past 30 is still up there. But anyways, who knows how much McCardell has worked out? Is he even in shape? I know he says he is... but that rarely means anything. Jeff Blake said last year preseason that he was in the best shape of his life, and that it was no secret he threw the best ball in the NFL. McCardell's a sleeper, but I'm not wasting a roster spot on him. You go ahead.

Man, you're so biased. You must either live in San Diego, are a Gates owner, or both.

As I said in my original post, we'll wait and see what happens. But if a team suddenly gets a very good WR, you can't expect the TE to increase in value because of "pressure" being taken away. There are less balls to be thrown around now. I would be concerned if I had Gates.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:55 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:My bad... I was thinking about Engram for some reason. He's not ancient either, but past 30 is still up there. But anyways, who knows how much McCardell has worked out? Is he even in shape? I know he says he is... but that rarely means anything. Jeff Blake said last year preseason that he was in the best shape of his life, and that it was no secret he threw the best ball in the NFL. McCardell's a sleeper, but I'm not wasting a roster spot on him. You go ahead.

Man, you're so biased. You must either live in San Diego, are a Gates owner, or both.

As I said in my original post, we'll wait and see what happens. But if a team suddenly gets a very good WR, you can't expect the TE to increase in value because of "pressure" being taken away. There are less balls to be thrown around now. I would be concerned if I had Gates.

GASP! How did you find out where I live? Is it the words after "Location" that say "San Diego, CA"? Nice...

Yes, I'm a Gates owner too. And yes, I agree that my words aren't absolute... who's are? But Brees has obviously shown he likes to pass to Gates... so what's to stop him? Boston didn't exactly have a breakout year last year. Was he on the Chargers? Is he a very good receiver? The only person's value who went up was LaDainian's... who got the most receptions.

So excuse me, but IN MY OPINION, I don't believe this has any effect on Gates.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby deftdelivery » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:37 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:

Yes, but don't you think they were throwing passes to Caldwell all along? It wasn't like Gates was targeted on 80% of the passing plays. Caldwell was a viable FA acquisition until he got hurt, and would have continued to be productive had he not gotten hurt. Now, suddenly, a more talented WR changes the entire game plan for the Chargers? Now that arguement is flawed. McCarddell is new to the team, and will obviously need to do some catching up. At the very worst, McCardell draws some 3rd down passes away from Gates. Big deal. What he makes up for in a small drop of passes will be easier coverage. ;-D

Let's take a minute and look at Tony Gonzalez week 1 against Denver. The Broncs knew Gonz was the only legitimate threat at WR, and stuck their BEST CB on him. Had the Chiefs possessed a solid threat, (such as McCardell B-) ) the Broncs would have placed Bailey on the #1 WR and NOT Gonzo. Therefore, Gonz would have caught some passes in easier coverage.

The fear of the Bolts transferring 90% of their passing game to McCardell is ridiculous. McCardell is a + as long as I'm concerned. ;-D
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:48 pm

No worries. Gates averages 70 yards a game, and he will keep getting the ball because of his talent. McCardell may take a catch or two, but Im in the camp that last year was a fluke and he won't be as good this year.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hammerwx » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:01 pm

Gates #s will not change according to my SD fan/source. Gates is Brees safety valve and will get plenty of opportunites. I think you are overstating mcCardells & Shaw's value. Gates actually may see his #s go up significantly over the next couple of weeks.

QB: Quinn, Brunell, Feely
RB: Griffin, Dayne, Duckett, George
WR: S. Moss, Rice, Proehl, D. White, T. Taylor
TE: Miller, Brady
K: Kasey
DF: Vikings
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:04 pm

It could go either way. It could free him up or mean less balls thrown his way.

But one thing the addition of these WRs will do is move the chains. SD should actually see more opportunities overall, its up to Marty and Drew where those extra balls will go
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 0.5 mg » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:34 pm

I think Gates gets better. The first time Keenan touches the ball..the opposing safety has to start leaning toward his side of the field.

Even though Keenan won't be that effective until he gets his feet under him. He will still draw attention away from Gates.
Go Jags
0.5 mg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:30 pm

keenan will only make things easier on gates, taking some of the attention off him. he will still put up the numbers, it will just make the team more balanced
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Navyseal » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:07 pm

Who has the best hands on the Chargers besides maybe Tomlinson ? Gates. Shotty is gonna keep calling pass plays where Gates is an option b/c it's worked all season. I predicted that Gates' name would be spoken in the same breath as Gonzo's by season's end... it hasn't even taken that long.
Gates will be just fine and will probably be open more often in the red zone as a result of SD's new WR acquisitions.

12 team, H2H, hyper-performance, keeper (5)
Start 9: QB, 1/2RB, 2/3/4WR, 1/2TE, K, D/ST --

Warner, Delhomme
Deuce, Rudi J., Moe Will, Pittman, Bell, Moore
CJ, Plaxico, Wayne, Curry, Colbert
Gates
Akers, Elam
NE D/ST
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:34 am

McCardell will indeed start taking away balls ... the ones that used to go to Caldwell.

I don't see a big change in Gates' fortunes either direction. He's a talented receiving tight end who has the trust of his coach and QB. That's a good thing.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk