Curtis Martin. What does he have to do? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtis Martin. What does he have to do?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curtis Martin. What does he have to do?

Postby kevster1 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:19 pm

I am glad I went against the advice of so many forum members to trade Curtis Martin while his stock was high. Despite leading the N.F.L. in rushing Martin still does not get nearly the fantasy respect he deserves. I have Martin in two leagues and the trade offers I have received are laughable. I still keep hearing "He wont keep this up". "He is a little old", though he is the same age as Holmes at 31. Will people come around to the belief that he is an elite #1 Rb, and not the solid #2 or worse that they believed they would see before the season started.
kevster1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:24 pm

Martin looks great, and they are running the offense through him and giving him the goalline carries. You really couldn't ask for more from a guy a lot of people had as a #3 RB. RBs in general are always injury risks, and over 30 it gets worse. But hell, ride that pony as far as he will take you. Still, it wouldn't hurt to handcuff Jordan who is probably pretty cheap right now.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:11 pm

yeah im in the same boat, i drafted martin pretty late and have been so happy with him, using him in the absence of jamal lewis and when shaun alexander got hurt. i dont know why people dont believe in him more, i guess its because he only scored 2 tds last year...but he still rushed for well over 1000 yds. im gonna hold onto him despite what others say about his age and him not keeping it up....they said that at week one....now its week 7 and he is still putting up monster numbers ;-D ;-D ;-D

qbs- aaron brooks, jake delhomme
rbs- shaun alexander, jamal lewis, curtis martin, chester taylor, mewelde moore
wrs- torry holt, hines ward, issac bruce, brandon stokely
te- alge crumpler
k- matt stover
def- ravens
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Curtis Martin. What does he have to do?

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:51 pm

kevster1 wrote:I am glad I went against the advice of so many forum members to trade Curtis Martin while his stock was high. Despite leading the N.F.L. in rushing Martin still does not get nearly the fantasy respect he deserves. I have Martin in two leagues and the trade offers I have received are laughable. I still keep hearing "He wont keep this up". "He is a little old", though he is the same age as Holmes at 31. Will people come around to the belief that he is an elite #1 Rb, and not the solid #2 or worse that they believed they would see before the season started.

I would've told you not to trade him too. I wouldn't trade him for much in the league I own him in. You'll never get what C-Mart's worth in a trade because of the stupid reasons people cling to that you listed. If that were a younger RB like Tomlinson or Deuce putting up those numbers, people would throw their entire teams at you. I think one of the biggest reasons is people don't want to admit they were wrong in their ranking of a RB who steps back on the scene like that. Making a good offer for him would be admitting they were wrong about him in the pre-season.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:56 pm

what does he have to do? can he go back in past and erase last season?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rohbshop » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:18 pm

he didnt have Pennington for most of last year, thats who you should be thanking for C-Mart this year. The Jets offense isnt this years Jets offense w/o Penny.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:25 pm

portisfan24 wrote:what does he have to do? can he go back in past and erase last season?

Exactly.

And while the Pennigton argument has some merit, it doesn't explain last season entirely. Coach Edwards stated at the beginning of last season that Lamont Jordan was slated to vulture Martin's red zone carries (which was what actually happened for the better part of the season).

I haven't been monitoring the situation terribly closely this year, but I watched some of the Jets game last weekend and saw that Jordan was stealing some carries and even scored a TD.

I'd hate to see Edwards return to his 2003 agenda with Jordan & Martin. If I owned Martin, I'd monitor that situation VERY closely.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby rohbshop » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:46 pm

i'm pretty sure Jordan only had 1 carry but scored on it. I might be wrong, too lazy to check. Anyhow, i'm not sweating the short TD's too much, so long as he keeps getting these 100 yd games i'll be happy.

and dont sleep on Penningtons play action fakes
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SonnyD1 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:48 pm

C-Mart is precisely why you have to do your research on players BEFORE and up to draft day. And I don't mean Fantasy Football magazines that have been printed 5 months before most drafts happen. I still get a kick out of some guys that show up to drafts with no other info than some of these magazines....If anyone would have done any research on C-Mart, they would have read that C-Mart showed up in camp stronger than ever and Herm gave him more action in the pre-season than he ever has since joining the Jets. Let's face it, football (and all sports for that matter) is all about momentum and mentality. C-Mart felt great in camp, feels better and stronger than he ever has, but most importantly the Jets feel like they can win this year with a healthy Pennington and good receiving corps. They have a great line as well. Remember all u rookies out there, do your RESEARCH before draft day and let everyone else make those bad decisions.
SonnyD1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CDNY1975 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:31 am

i have Martin myself, i drafted him in the 6th round of a keeper league where in order to keep someone u must give a pick 2 rds earlier then where u drafted the player, so next year i would get him for a 4th rounder(i might keep him) who those wondering u cant keep anyone drafted in the first 2 rounds, i have had alot of people in my league hounding me for him, but wont offer anything close to his value cause they say "he wont keep going like this all year" my answer then is WHY do u want him?? i think he will keep posting solid #s all season , he will have i am sure a few bad games as well, but hey u have to take the good with the bad & this season it has been all good with martin so far, even if he does fall off some who ever drafted him late like myself have all ready made out on the deal
CDNY1975
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk