Serious Peerless Price talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Serious Peerless Price talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Serious Peerless Price talk

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:43 pm

I think Price is way overranked by a lot of people this yr. He has skills, dont get me wrong, its just that I dont see a route runner like Price adjusting to a scramble QB like Vick. Nor do I see him making a smooth transition to a left handed fireballer like Vick - remember, Price had his only 1000+ yd season last yr with Bledsoe. Take a look at his individual game numbers from last yr, and you'll see a guy who was the model for inconsistancy. Against Miami, he caught 2 passes for nearly a hundred yds and 2 tds - think thats ever going to happen again? I just see too many intangibles to rank that guy as high as Ive been seeing him go. Theres no way he should go in the top 15 WRs like he has gone in some leagues. Im looking at 900 yds, 5 tds.

I would love to hear other people's educated opinions on Peerless Price. Please dont just say "I think Price is gonna bust out with Vick" - back up your reasoning, please. Does anyone know if Price aver caught passes from a lefty QB before? Maybe in college?

Itd be great to get some honest debate about this guy, so please chime in.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:23 pm

Price is a top20 WR,possible top15.It appears that the duo have been working well together & that Price can handle the left-handed ball.

Report from a week ago about minicamps...AtlantaFalcons.com.

"Mike Vick to Peerless Price was a frequent combo. First, on a fly route, Price got by Buchanan and Vick placed a perfect pass in Price’s grasp some 30 yards downfield for a score. Their next hook-up came at the end of practice, as Price again ran a fly towards the end zone. Vick put the ball where only Price could catch it, and the receiver slid underneath a leaping Buchanan to make the grab in the end zone."

I see him getting over 1000 again with 7 scores.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Serious Peerless Price talk

Postby awwchrist » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:34 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I would love to hear other people's educated opinions on Peerless Price.

Most opinions are hardly ever educated.

Here's my uneducated opinion:

He's 12-20 depending on how froggy you feel come draft day. I mean, If Marty Booker can put it together for 1k each of the last two years with no QB and a revolving door at the other WR spot you gotta think Price can put together 1k + 7 scores again with Vick making the safeties nervous and Finneran helping him at 2WR.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:56 pm

He can be picked up in the 5th round.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Homeless » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:59 pm

Again not an "educated opinion", but not hype based either.
I live locally and all the reports say he and Vick are teaming up nicely. I have him as a top 15 WR. He has the talent.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Price

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:54 pm

Fantasy Football, no matter how much we like to pretend otherwise, is partially a crapshoot. I see "educated discussions" all about the time how this HAS to be the year for such and such a player to breakout or how this Defense looks so good on paper it HAS to dominate. I keep thinking back to the H. Walker Days of the Vikings when he was "the last piece of the puzzle", just like the last 10 guys before him. This sport is as much about gut instint as it is about mathematical projections. When I see Price, I see a team player, a guy who goes after the ball, a winner. While all WRs have their up and down years, a guy like Price isn't likely to vanish into thin air.

It's very possible that Price will do MUCH BETTER than any of the experts predict. He is in a Marvin Harrison situation, the only talented receiver on a team with a great quarterback. It amuses me to no end that you have people high on Trung Canidate (who couldn't take the starting job at his last gig when it was handed to him on a silver platter) and low on Peerless Price (who excelled despite all the other options that Bledsoe had). Was he the most consistent receiver with the Bills? No. But look at his situation. Bledsoe forced alot of balls to Moulds (as I predicted here before the season began that he would). Price was open more than a prostitute's legs [can i say that? if not, change it to "more than a 24-hour deli"]. The balls are going to come Price's way, and he is going to catch a bunch of them. Anyone who believes otherwise will be kicking themselves before midseason.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Slingblade » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:16 am

I think Price will have a down year, with the new system he has, lefty QB, and a scrambling QB, his numbers will lack. I project 800yds 7tds
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Peerless Price....

Postby massraider » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:12 am

I was amazed at how many bad things I heard about Price during his Atlanta courtship. IMO, if anyone is ranked to high right now, it's Moulds, who I've seen as high as #4.

It's hilarious when people use opposite logic for a similar situation.
'Price's numbers will go down because he doesn't have Moulds across from him, taking away double teams.'
'Moulds numbers will go up, because he does not have Price taking away catches opposite him.'
One way or the other, I don't care which side you are on, but pick a side.

As far as Price is concerned, Vick being a scrambler is going to hurt him? Do you think that Price is going to run his route, Vick is going to roll to him, and Price is going to stand there, clueless?
Please. Vick's scrambling abilities are going to result in plays that should be sacks, instead becoming long completions. They are going to result in goalline rollouts that result in TD runs for Vick, and TD catches for Price and Crumpler.

As for him being a lefty, a bunch of guys with less talent than Price did fine last year. Maybe he'll drop a couple more this year, but I think he'll catch a lot more bombs this year.

One thing: I'm not sure that Price will see as many double teams as people think. Vick is going to require a spy in a lot of cases, particularly short-yardage. It'll be tough to spy Vick and double Price all the time. That's a very uneducated guess, BTW.
massraider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:37 am

I like the way you think massraider. I never considered or heard of the spy theory before, but I think some teams will try to spy him in order to keep tabs on him better. One thing that concerns me is Vick's rushing stats taking away the number of catches Price would get if a "non-running" QB (such as everyone in the league except for Culpepper and McNabb) would scramble and throw. In a situation where you don't have a QB with Vick's running ability maybe the QB just scrambles around the backfield enough for his WRs to get open, where Vick is going to flat out take it himself alot.

I know Atlanta coaches are trying to get him to be more patient, which should help...and like was said previously, on some the broken plays, secondary people are going to have to be conscious of what's going on and are going to lose sight of Price, which should turn into big plays. One thing is almost agreed upon by all, Atlanta is going to be tough to stop and someone is going to be scoring. I like Price overall and think he is a legit top 15 guy.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:38 pm

I like Price alot, but there is no value with him this year. I took him last year in a mid-late round. He is a WR switching to a new team, and they tend to struggle. Add in that Vick didn't exactly set fantasy leagues on fire with his passing stats last year and he is a guy I'm staying away from just because his value increase from last year is so great. He was gone by mid 4th round in my draft this year. I'm not going to be going after the Price's and Hines Ward's.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk