Do you avoid trades just to hurt another owner's team? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you avoid trades just to hurt another owner's team?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you avoid trades just to hurt another owner's team?

Postby mad benjamin » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:47 pm

I suspect that some guys in my league will avoid perfectly fair trades, not because the trade won't help them, but because in some way it will help you, fairness notwithstanding. In fact, in avoiding a trade, it may actually be HURTING them and they still won't do it if it helps another owner. I don't get this.

Anyone else go through this or use this as a philosophy yourselves? If so, I'd be interested in hearing why that might be.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Turnip » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:59 pm

Some people just don't like trading. Can't blame them for that. That being said, you should never see how a trade affects an opponents roster (unless it's your big rival or something outstanding like that). Always focus on your own roster.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:00 pm

depends...

if im 1-9, and the guy at the top, assuming i hate them, is trading me something, ill generally say no. also, if im 8-1, the top pf my league, and someone else offers me a fair trade, ill generally say no. if it aint broke...

but other than that, i always go for fair trades.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby iloveny18 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:34 pm

Yes, I have. one guy in my league was shopping hines ward. He had a pretty good team (led by moss and edge) and a few other above average WRs. i had offered him dillon. needless to say, he didn't end up taking the deal. but nevertheless, i wouldn't have finalized the deal anyway. after thinking about it, while both of our teams would've been helped, his team would've been helped GREATLY. he was really hurting at the #2rb spot. and him getting a solid #2 would've made his team great.

the point is, we're both competing for a playoff spot and i could one day end up playing him. just think of it as the red sox or A's trading a pitcher to the yankees? you can't make a good team better, that might come back to haunt you
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Diablo13 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:44 pm

I get this often.
People get attached to a name. Ohhhh Emmitt Smith is one of the greatest back ever, no way I'm gonna trade him for Reuben Droughns. (this is just an example) But I, unfortunately get stuck in this crap all the time. I have been playing FF for 5 years, I guess I need to get into dynasty leagues. never done that before.
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tyr » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:44 pm

It largely depends on if I'm making a trade with someone that I play once or twice, and when I play them.

I will absolutely deny or offer worse trades to hurt a team that I have two games against, and the players being traded don't have byes in either week I play them.

If I only have one game (or none) left against an opponent I feel much more comfortable making trades, and focus solely on my roster.

I also have a tendency to trade around byes. I will trade a player a week or two before their bye, and try and trade for players that have already played their byes. It seems to work very well ;-D
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby tomkatt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:02 pm

I play in two money leagues. One runs pretty smoothly, the other is a little different. It amazes me how teams will make trades with no idea of the big picture. You don't trade the #1 team in the league EXACTLY what he needs if it doesn't benefit you greatly..... and I mean greatly. Of course it rarely equals out. These same guys continue to load up the strong teams, and it always baffles me how they can be that short sighted. The balance of the league was just decimated at the trade deadline last year.

An example of what I'm talking about happened today. I was offered DJax & R. Williams for Torry Holt. Didn't really want to move Holt anyway, but I checked his roster. He already has T. Owens, so there is no way I'm going to trade Holt over to him unless it was for a player that impacts his roster. I'm just a believer in looking at the big picture I guess.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby s0meguy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:04 pm

A lot of people have the philosophy that:

"Only one person can win in a trade, and if that person wants to trade with me it's probably because he knows that he'll come out on top"

Not that I feel this way, but many other people do.
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:12 pm

s0meguy wrote:A lot of people have the philosophy that:

"Only one person can win in a trade, and if that person wants to trade with me it's probably because he knows that he'll come out on top"

Not that I feel this way, but many other people do.

very true.. i usually counter or reject, but never accept another trade straight up

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Navyseal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:01 am

Is this a serious thread ? Seems like any move within the league guidelines that helps your team (hopefully, it hurts another, quite frankly) to win the title and the $$$ would be the right one.

12 team, H2H, hyper-performance, keeper (5)
Start 9: QB, 1/2RB, 2/3/4WR, 1/2TE, K, D/ST --

Brees*, Warner
Deuce*, Rudi J., Moe Will, Pittman, Bell, Moore*
CJ*, Plaxico, Wayne*, Pathon*, Curry
Gates*
Akers*
NE D/ST*
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Next