Do you avoid trades just to hurt another owner's team? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you avoid trades just to hurt another owner's team?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:31 am

iloveny18 wrote:Yes, I have. one guy in my league was shopping hines ward. He had a pretty good team (led by moss and edge) and a few other above average WRs. i had offered him dillon. needless to say, he didn't end up taking the deal. but nevertheless, i wouldn't have finalized the deal anyway. after thinking about it, while both of our teams would've been helped, his team would've been helped GREATLY. he was really hurting at the #2rb spot. and him getting a solid #2 would've made his team great.

the point is, we're both competing for a playoff spot and i could one day end up playing him. just think of it as the red sox or A's trading a pitcher to the yankees? you can't make a good team better, that might come back to haunt you

The white sox traded a pitcher to the yankees and he was part of the loosing effort tonight haha. Sorry to stray from the original topic, but your metaphor kinda sucks because the A's aren't even in the same division as the BoSox and Yankees . :-b
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ricky_Christ » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:46 am

DON'T YOU WANT TO HAGGLE?!?! :-P

I will rarely accept a trade offered to me, and I rarely offer a trade that should be accepted. It's a counter-offer world & I'm a counter-offer man.

IMO, you should always seek to hurt every other team as much as possible. Take their stud's backups, snatch the juciest picks from the WW, do whatever it takes to win!

This isn't Fantasy Football. This is Fantasy War!!! :-D
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Navyseal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:48 am

Thank you Ricky. Well said. ;-D

12 team, H2H, hyper-performance, keeper (5)
Start 9: QB, 1/2RB, 2/3/4WR, 1/2TE, K, D/ST --

Brees*, Warner
Deuce*, Rudi J., Moe Will, Pittman, Bell, Moore*
CJ*, Plaxico, Wayne*, Pathon*, Curry
Gates*
Akers*
NE D/ST*
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:10 am

when I propose football trades I typically give the other guy kind of a roadmap . . . say I am sending him player A and getting back player B. I'll say something like this...

you have player D on your bench who will replace B and you will lose 3 points a week there, but since I am giving you player A he will replace player C in your lineup and he will gain you 6, so you should be gaining about 3 points a week because of this trade.

I also enclose a similar analysis from my side of the deal... usually just trying to point out that it's a win-win deal.

Granted I'll sometimes use some of the more optimistic projections (in my favor) but hardly ever propose a trade that is completely one sided. In my opinion if you propose poor trades people will lose respect and not want to trade with you ever.

Every once in a while you'll run into an owner who is a big fan of a particular team and in some of those situations you might be able to sell some players to him abover their actual value. I have a team named 'broncofan' in one of my leagues right now, I am thinking of offering him lelie for a slight upgrade, to say, chad johnson, jimmy smith or possibly hines ward, although the last might be a little tough to pull off...
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ricky_Christ » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:13 am

You're either a Logicistics or Math major, but I could actually see that approach working in some of my leagues. Thanks for the tip.

I'm the Machievelli of Fantasy Football....
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby matmat » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:21 am

Ricky_Christ wrote:You're either a Logicistics or Math major, but I could actually see that approach working in some of my leagues. Thanks for the tip.

I'm the Machievelli of Fantasy Football....

you nailed it. Never underestimate the ability to put a spin on statistical data. comes in useful in many walks of life, including FFB :)
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jetsflagboyz » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:19 am

I try not to trade with teams that are ahead of me in the standings
jetsflagboyz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CDNY1975 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:00 am

In my league this year(2nd season with the same group) Very rarely will a trade pass, there is always people vetoing trades, hardly ever does a trade gets passed unless its a trade that will hurt one of the better teams....i like to look at trades in fairness, not what peoples roster will look like after the trade..true the only time i offer a trade is when it will help me greatly...example i was 2-0 & offered AJ,Graham,Garner(before he got hurt) for Portis , it was blocked quickly cause i had most points & Martin,Tomlinson,Holt & Harrison, We start 2 wr,2 rb & a wr/rb...5 people posted noway is the #1 getting Portis, turns out that trade even though Garner got hurt would have been better for the other guy....
CDNY1975
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hammerwx » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:56 am

Turnip wrote:Some people just don't like trading. Can't blame them for that. That being said, you should never see how a trade affects an opponents roster (unless it's your big rival or something outstanding like that). Always focus on your own roster.

That's ridiculous. It's a waste of time trying to trade a RB to a team that is already loaded at that position. I often get trade offering a middle of the road player when I'm already overloaded at the position.

A trade has a much greater chance of being accepted if it designed to improve the other teams weaknesses.

QB: Quinn, Brunell, Feely
RB: Griffin, Dayne, Duckett, George
WR: S. Moss, Rice, Proehl, D. White, T. Taylor
TE: Miller, Brady
K: Kasey
DF: Vikings
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hammerwx » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am

tomkatt wrote:I play in two money leagues. One runs pretty smoothly, the other is a little different. It amazes me how teams will make trades with no idea of the big picture. You don't trade the #1 team in the league EXACTLY what he needs if it doesn't benefit you greatly..... and I mean greatly. Of course it rarely equals out. These same guys continue to load up the strong teams, and it always baffles me how they can be that short sighted. The balance of the league was just decimated at the trade deadline last year.

An example of what I'm talking about happened today. I was offered DJax & R. Williams for Torry Holt. Didn't really want to move Holt anyway, but I checked his roster. He already has T. Owens, so there is no way I'm going to trade Holt over to him unless it was for a player that impacts his roster. I'm just a believer in looking at the big picture I guess.

I would have taken that trade. I don't see why Williams won't put up huge numbers again when he returns. The guy is a freak. Holt is not that much better than Williams/Jackson, and has a bye left. Bulger is starting to go more often to the #3 & #4 WR's.
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk