Jamal Lewis suspension may have been a good thing....... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jamal Lewis suspension may have been a good thing.......

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jamal Lewis suspension may have been a good thing.......

Postby SonnyD1 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:39 am

My brother is in my fantasy league this year and he has Jamal on his team. He picked up Droughns off waivers to fill in for Lewis and of course, we've all seen what Droughns can do. Now when Jamal comes back (our league allows for a 3rd r/b as a flex or 3rd w/r) he can start C-Mart, Lewis, and Droughns on a weekly basis. My point is, for all you Jamal Lewis owners out there (if u can hang in the standings in the next few weeks), Jamal should be refreshed and a man on a mission when he comes back (kind of like taking a vacation in the middle of the season). I think he is going to explode when he comes back (I dont think whether or not Baltimore is playing well at the time will even matter)...I guess it's a positive way at looking at the Jamal suspension for all you JL owners out there.. ;-)
SonnyD1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:47 am

I hear ya, Sonny.

I've also been of the opinion that Jamal will come back with the belief that he has something to prove, and also that he'll have fresh legs going into the second half. I like his prospects.

This viewpoint is free to all, even though it's worth, lessee ... two cents.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:50 am

speak for yourself, Jlew has me reeling. (barlow and staley on byes)
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:59 am

portisfan24 wrote:speak for yourself, Jlew has me reeling. (barlow and staley on byes)

i've still got alexander and westbrook (8-team), but I always start an RB in the flex spot.. (well, we have 2. 1 rb, 1wr, 2 flex). I have zero depth behind those two... and our WW is depleted.

Jamal, why have you forsaken me?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:12 am

well, J.Lewis owners should've been prepared for this, as i have. if you didn't draft (or at least pick him up waaaay earlier) chester taylor than that's plain dumb. at least he sits out of buffalo which is a good run d
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:26 am

iloveny18 wrote:well, J.Lewis owners should've been prepared for this, as i have. if you didn't draft (or at least pick him up waaaay earlier) chester taylor than that's plain dumb. at least he sits out of buffalo which is a good run d

according to some Raven's fan I know (no link yet), Musa Smith is starting... Chesticles will retain his 3rd down back duties. He'll still post good numbers though...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:00 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
iloveny18 wrote:well, J.Lewis owners should've been prepared for this, as i have. if you didn't draft (or at least pick him up waaaay earlier) chester taylor than that's plain dumb. at least he sits out of buffalo which is a good run d

according to some Raven's fan I know (no link yet), Musa Smith is starting... Chesticles will retain his 3rd down back duties. He'll still post good numbers though...

well, i'd like to believe that, but musa hasn't had a single carry yet this season. taylor had spelled lewis pretty good. i'd expect musa to get maybe around 7 carries, but with taylor getting most of the carries
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Count_Rugen » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:03 am

Which brings to mind an interesting point...

If a player is suspended, I assume they can still practice with the team, attend meetings, etc...?
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mr Walker » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:37 am

Count_Rugen wrote:Which brings to mind an interesting point...

If a player is suspended, I assume they can still practice with the team, attend meetings, etc...?

Apparently No!

Associated Press

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick wants the NFL to amend the rule that forbids running back Jamal Lewis from appearing at the team's training complex during his two-week suspension.

Lewis was suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy after he pleaded guilty on Oct. 7 to using a phone to set up a drug buy in 2000.

He will miss Baltimore's home game against Buffalo on Sunday and a game in Philadelphia on Oct. 31. Lewis can maintain contact with the Ravens by phone during his suspension, but is not permitted to enter the training complex.

"We can talk to him, but he's not allowed to be in the building, which I really think has to be revisited during the offseason," Billick said Wednesday. "When you have an athlete in this position, this is when he needs the organization most. He needs to be around the counseling and the mentoring we have here.

"To totally isolate a guy from the team, I don't think is in the best interest of the team, it's not in the best interest of the athlete, it's not in the best interest of the league."

Lewis has remained in touch with the Ravens during his suspension, Billick said, and is focused on staying in football shape during his absence.

"We know where he's at," Billick said. "He's working out hard, he's in the right atmosphere."

Lewis ran for 2,066 yards last year, the second-highest single-season total in NFL history. This season he's got 494 yards rushing on 105 carries.

He will be replaced in the backfield by Chester Taylor, who has run for 164 yards on 28 carries this season. Taylor will be backed up by Musa Smith, who has yet to carry the ball this year.
Mr Walker
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Count_Rugen » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:05 am

That's lame.

An unpaid suspension (I assume he's not getting compensated for these two weeks?) is penalty enough for a rule infraction. Can't practice though? Come on.
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk