Return to General Talk

Porter goes Yard.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Porter goes Yard.

Postby Guttpuppy » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:47 pm

Porter Goes Yard
July 20, 2003

By Courtney Smith and Whitney Webster-raiders.com

The 2003 Celebrity Slugfest was held Saturday, July 19, at PacBell Park before the San Francisco Giants battled the Colorado Rockies. Various local celebrities and professional sports figures came out to compete in the Celebrity Challenge. One of our own, WR Jerry Porter, represented the Raiders well as he showed off his baseball skills.
With five celebrities to a team, each player had the opportunity to try to hit seven pitches to earn as many points as possible with 100 points being awarded for a home run. Joining Porter were other sports celebrities including 1971 MVP and Cy Young Award winner and former Giants pitcher, Vida Blue; former Raiders and 49ers RB Roger Craig; 14-year NFL veteran Steve Bono; former power hitter for the Giants from 1977-1980 Jerry Whitfield; and four-time Pro Bowler former TE Brent Jones. Joining the men was gold medal winner from the 1996 U.S. Olympic Women's National Soccer Team and current San Jose CyberRays star Brandi Chastain. Also among the athletes were local TV and Radio personalities including KPIX Evening Magazine host Malou Nubla, Chris Townsend and KRON 4's Vernon Glenn. And representing the film and entertainment industry was Deuce Bigalow, star, Saturday Night Live alum and Pacifica, Calif.,-native Rob Schneider.

After watching a few of his teammates perform, Jerry Porter stepped up to the plate with confidence. Participating in the Celebrity Slugfest for his second year, Porter was determined to hit the ball out of the park. And that he did. Porter earned 100 points for his team with the first home run of the competition. "Last year I came out and I didn't get any home runs. I had to come back and show them I could hit the ball out of the park," Porter boasted. "It felt good, but I want to hit it in the water," Porter mentioned in reference to the often-reached by Barry Bonds home run splashdown area know as McCovey Cove. Maybe the third time around he will.

Porter had many fans supporting him throughout the event and opposing team member Brandi Chastain was one of them. "Jerry Porter is an outstanding baseball player. The Raiders are lucky to have him because otherwise he might be wearing a Giants uniform," the Olympian chuckled. "I think the teams were rigged a little bit," she continued to joke, "Especially after I saw him out here hitting! I enjoy watching Jerry out on the field. I think it is great he can cross over to baseball because he is such a tremendous athlete."

After an outstanding batting performance and a few laughs with his teammates, Porter was asked about his thoughts on the upcoming football season. "I'm definitely ready for football to begin," the wide receiver commented. "We've got something to prove this year." Looking forward to training camp and rejoining his fellow Raiders this coming week, Porter is spending his last few days off attending community events and relaxing around the Bay Area.

Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:12 pm

Raiders in Giants uniforms disgust me.

I wanna cry.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk