Holmes latest - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Holmes latest

Moderator: Football Moderators

Holmes latest

Postby Homeless » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:18 am

Priest Holmes waited seven anxious months for this very moment, and the Chiefs wasted no time in providing it.

The first play on the opening day of training camp Sunday was one Holmes and the Chiefs have run successfully many times. Quarterback Trent Green threw a screen pass to Holmes with guard Brian Waters leading the way downfield.

For that moment, at least, everything was right in Holmes' world.

Holmes, who hadn't played or practiced with his teammates since injuring his hip in a December game against Denver, made it through that play and 24 others without a hitch.

He showed no signs of favoring the hip, though the non-contact practice wasn't the truest of tests. He emerged in good spirits after the steamy afternoon workout.

"It felt great," Holmes said. "(Golfer) Greg Norman had this injury. He's made a lot of money since then. I really believe I'll be all right."

Interesting that Holmes would mention money. Holmes has indicated he would walk out on the Chiefs if he doesn't get a new contract by the Sept. 7 regular-season opener.

For the time being, he put aside his financial desires and went back to work.

"The sun is a distraction," Holmes said. "The heat is a distraction. Those are the types of distractions you deal with.

"It's not going to be an issue. (President/general manager Carl Peterson) has made it very clear how he stands. I've shared with him my desires. There will be a mutual understanding."

The rest of the Chiefs don't seem preoccupied with the issue, either. Then again, they've seen their share of teammates with contract hassles.

"That's business," Waters said. "He's a great enough player that it will get worked out."

Peterson has said the Chiefs would discuss a contract extension with Holmes when he proves the hip is not an obstacle. Holmes took the first public step toward that end, albeit a limited one.

Holmes spent much of the practice wearing a visor and standing to the side as an observer.

But Holmes made a couple of cuts on running plays that would indicate the hip is not only healthy, but that he trusts it as well.

"He's closer to 100 percent than he is to 90 percent," Waters said.

The Chiefs planned to give Holmes another 25 plays in each of today's two practices.

"If he gets tired, we'll back it off," coach Dick Vermeil said. "He's going to tell us when he wants to go more. I'm sure we'll have to slow him down.

"I didn't notice anything different in him other than he's so explosive and quick and he didn't turn it loose 100 percent."

The hip has been an issue since that December day in Denver when Holmes was dragged down from behind after a long run. The Chiefs described the injury as a bruised hip. His extensive rehabilitation, which included an arthroscopic surgery in March to remove scar tissue, was done quietly and behind the scenes.

That made Sunday a special occasion. Holmes looked at the workout as a milestone.

"My energy comes from the team," Holmes said. "It's really my first time back with the team.

"This is not about being relieved. If you put me on the field, everyone is believing in me to get the job done. The only pressure is (to) perform at my highest level, doing the things I did last year, making it an even bigger year for me."

Holmes was having one of the best seasons of any running back in NFL history before the injury. In 14 games, he rushed for 1,615 yards and 21 touchdowns and caught 70 passes.

Now he's starting over, in a sense. But Holmes is no stranger to that. He returned as a senior at Texas after missing a season because of torn knee cartilage.

Holmes returned after missing five games for Baltimore in 1999 because of a sprained knee.

"That's pretty much my m.o.," Holmes said. "It's all a situation to overcome my (obstacles). I have plenty of time."
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:54 am

I'm still wary, usually they say it takes 2 years for a rb to return to form after a leg injury
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:43 am

It usually takes 2 years from a torn ACL injury. This isnt really even his leg, its his hip.

I personally think Priest is going to have a huge year, people too often have compared this to a torn ACL or the injury Bo Jackson had. Neither are the case. His surgery was to remove lose bodies, not to repair anything.

If i had the 1st pick in a redraft, Priest would be my guy at this point.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:04 am

Trainer of Dolphins wrote:I'm still wary, usually they say it takes 2 years for a rb to return to form after a leg injury

But did you see the video link posted by one of our Cafe members ?

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9989

Well worth watching if you have any interest in Holmes.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:32 pm

More...

Re-energized Holmes hits camp

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- To his teammates, Priest Holmes looked like a million bucks upon his return to the practice field Sunday.
Holmes, jokingly, says they're counting him short.

"I've been telling people I feel like 15 million bucks -- I just don't have the paycheck," he cracked.

Sunday was a day to make light of the only possible dark cloud on the Chiefs' otherwise sunny training camp horizon. For Priest Holmes was back in the Kansas City backfield for the first time since last Dec. 15 when he sustained the hip injury that blunted one of the most productive seasons ever by an NFL running back and put in jeopardy the future of that runner.

After staying frightfully quiet about his rehabilitation in the seven months since he last played, Holmes spoke volumes about his recovery when he ran at what appeared to be full speed in about 25 offensive plays.

"I thought he looked good," said fullback Tony Richardson. "Obviously, when I'm in there with him I'm blocking for him, but it seemed like he ran by me pretty good. It's a feel thing, but I thought he got to the hole when he was supposed to be there.

"I think he made a positive step forward today," Richardson added. "We've still got a long way to go, but I think he definitely showed today he's on the road to recovery."

Though he took part only in a limited number of plays, both in individual and team situations, Holmes said he felt energized by working with his teammates again. He reported feeling no pain in the left hip that required arthroscopic surgery last March, but would not characterize the level of his performance.

"I'll leave that up to you all to decide," he told a swarm of reporters who watched his every step. "For the first five years of my career, no one ever watched me. All this attention makes up for those first years."

Once doctors convinced him that his hip injury was not the same type that cut short the career of football-baseball star Bo Jackson, Holmes said he knew he could return to a level close to that he showed before the injury. Over the past two seasons he was the NFL's most productive running back in totaling 3,170 rushing yards and 4,446 total yards from scrimmage.

"(Golfer) Greg Norman had this same injury, and he came back to make a lot of money since then," Holmes added. "I really believe I'll be all right."

Yeah, but Norman never got pulled down from behind by Tom Watson while making a charge at Pebble Beach. How Holmes holds up when the real hitting starts will determine whether he gets the money he believes he's deserves.

Hence, the crack about feeling like $15 million was a veiled reminder that Holmes still expects a contract extension -- with a corresponding big-time signing bonus -- sometime before he starts getting hit in earnest. Holmes has threatened in the past not to play if he isn't rewarded for his efforts of the past two seasons.

He seemed to back away from that threat Sunday, however.

"It won't become an issue," Holmes said. "Peterson (Chiefs president Carl) has made it very clear where he stands. He knows my desires, and we'll work this out behind closed doors. But I really believe we'll get it done. We have plenty of time."

Coach Dick Vermeil said Holmes will continue to be limited in these first training camp practices until he feels ready to take on more duty.

"If he gets tired, we'll back it off," Vermeil said. "He'll tell us when he wants to go more, and I'm sure we'll have to slow him down.

"I watched him to see if he favored anything or showed any signs. I didn't see anything different in him. I don't think he turned it loose 100 percent, but other than that he looked fine."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:42 pm

Yet more...

Holmes relishes being center of attention
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. - Three minutes before the official start of the Chiefs' first practice, Priest Holmes glided out of the shed that doubles as the Chiefs' locker room.

Sandwiched between his two fullbacks, Tony Richardson and Omar Easy, Holmes joked that his arrival at this practice was no more significant than Richardson's.

"Y'all leave Tony alone. This is his 10th training camp," Holmes said with a smile crossing his face as he, Richardson and Easy broke into a slight jog.

Priest Holmes is enjoying all of this -- the attention, the speculation, the pressure, the critics who theorize that he'll never be the same. He knows he's the biggest story in the NFL. He knows his every move, every cut will be watched, scrutinized and documented.

ESPN sent a reporter to cover his first practice, to get a post-practice sound bite from the best player in football.

"It actually feels pretty good," Holmes said of all the attention.

Holmes was pretty much ignored the first five years of his career. This year he could get more coverage than Jerry Rice on third and long. The health of Holmes' hip and the wealth of his contract are major story lines that could determine which team represents the AFC in the Super Bowl.

Watching Holmes on Day One made me believe he wouldn't want things any other way. He wants the spotlight and the pressure. He relishes being an underdog and second-guessed.

It's as if Holmes believes he's sitting on a secret.

"I feel like $15 million, but I just don't have the paycheck," Holmes said after practice.

There's something different about Priest this year. He's a bit more glib, a bit more cocky. He called the hip injury and the rehabilitation and the contract controversy part of his "testimony."

Holmes believes all of this is just a test of his faith, a test he'll pass with running colors. Holmes has convinced himself that the hip injury and the subsequent rehab have done nothing but make him a better football player.

Late Sunday afternoon, Holmes began the process of converting president/general manager Carl Peterson and everybody else over to his way of thinking.

The Chiefs practiced without pads Sunday. Priest looked as smooth as ever. He never shied away from contact. He never turned down a hard cut. He wasn't slow to accelerate. And he never grimaced in pain.

Of course, we won't really know anything about the health of Holmes' hip until after he takes a few real hits. But Holmes did exceed my expectations on Sunday. I thought he'd still be moving a bit gingerly. I thought he'd take the field in one of those special-colored, hands-off quarterback jerseys.

And I thought there was a darn good chance Holmes would duck reporters.

But Holmes is handling this situation differently. He's through hiding behind a false humility. Priest Holmes is the man. He wants to be paid like he's the man. And he's willing to do whatever is necessary to get his money and whatever is necessary to make this team a winner.

Holmes said Sunday that his contract situation won't be a distraction. He's placed his faith in Peterson's word. Holmes, as he did earlier this off-season, indicated that Peterson promised him a signing bonus/contract extension if Holmes demonstrated that his hip was completely healed.

Holmes does have some leverage. His teammates believe he deserves a new contract. If Peterson doesn't take care of a healthy Holmes, many of the veteran Chiefs players may lose complete faith in Peterson's leadership. The growing perception of Peterson with players is that he's strictly a numbers cruncher now, not a winner. I heard this from three NFL veterans last week when discussing Holmes' situation at the ESPY Awards.

I'm still not convinced Peterson should give Holmes a significant signing bonus. But I will admit watching Holmes blaze up the sideline has made me open my mind to the possibility.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby flex nuts » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:29 am

HAHA, honestly, I laughed my balls off watchin that workout video posting by Stick...it was so corny yet so entertaining

That black guy...lmao

"He the best in the sho biddness"

I was dying of laughter. My friend and I saw it as well, as created a parody of it. It can be found by going over to http://www.bleco.tk
Click on movies -->Extra -->2003 Priest Holmes Video

I guarantee some laughs ;-D
flex nuts

Friendliness: %

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:47 am

you need better audio.

I couldnt understand what Bob Saget was saying half the time.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Adlaw » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:37 pm

Flux wrote:It usually takes 2 years from a torn ACL injury. This isnt really even his leg, its his hip.

I personally think Priest is going to have a huge year, people too often have compared this to a torn ACL or the injury Bo Jackson had. Neither are the case. His surgery was to remove lose bodies, not to repair anything.

If i had the 1st pick in a redraft, Priest would be my guy at this point.

I don't know Flux from Flax but they're right. I do physical therapy in a hospital, and the surgery was a 5 week heal at the most. The strength to come back can take months but it looks like he's going to be 100 percent. He should be from a medical stand point anyway.
Adlaw
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby flex nuts » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:09 pm

Which video did u watch?
flex nuts

Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Football Talk