Well, at least I can't be sued by a whale! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Well, at least I can't be sued by a whale!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Well, at least I can't be sued by a whale!

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:12 pm

Everyone is suing these days...and some dumb-arse lawyer wanted sea creatures to be able to also. :-B I feel much safer now!

Yahoo! News wrote:Court: Whales Have No Standing to Sue

By KIM CURTIS, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - A federal appeals court decided Wednesday that marine mammals have no standing to sue to stop the U.S. Navy (news - web sites) from using sonar.

In upholding a lower court decision, a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites) said the world's cetaceans — whales, porpoises and dolphins — have no standing under the Endangered Species Act, the Marine Mammal Protection Act or the National Environmental Policy Act.

If lawmakers "intended to take the extraordinary step of authorizing animals as well as people and legal entities to sue, they could, and should, have said so plainly," said Judge William A. Fletcher, writing for the panel.

The Navy uses a type of sonar that helps detect quiet submarines at long range. Low frequency transmitters emit sonar pulses or "pings" that can travel hundreds of miles through the water.

"The negative effects of underwater noise on marine life are well recognized," the court said. Even the Navy acknowledged any "human-made noise that is strong enough to be heard has the potential to reduce (mask) the ability of marine mammals to hear natural sounds," according to the court.

In arguing for the cetaceans, Hilo, Hawaii-based lawyer Lanny Sinkin asked for an injunction banning long-range sonar until President Bush (news - web sites) and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld consult with the National Marine Fisheries Services and prepare an environmental impact statement.

Sinkin did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment Wednesday.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:06 pm

they call him flipper, flipper, faster than lightning, no one you see, is faster than he...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:53 pm

you americans have some brutal lawyers.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk