Green & Davenport??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Green & Davenport???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ahman Green RBBC ??

Postby BESMIRCHED » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:55 pm

News
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Packers Insider reports second-year back Najeh Davenport will be playing a larger role in the offense this season—sharing the load with starting halfback Ahman Green. "When you're a serious running football team, with the kind of power schemes that we use, you need at least two guys sharing the load," running backs coach Sylvester Croom told the paper. "I don't think Ahman's wearing out but I'm always worried about injuries to running backs." At 6-0, 250-something pounds, Davenport gives the Packers' ground game a power dimension that complements Green's speed. "I want him to make people afraid," Croom said. "I want to put fear into them. If he's hungry and plays with some attitude, ain't too many people who are going to deal with him… Ahman's a great back. But for a guy to carry the ball 20-plus times a game, particularly a guy with his running style, that's a lot."

BESMIRCHED
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:52 pm

Oh dear, another RBBC the future is here and none of us like it.

May have to downgrade old ahman on my sheets now.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:33 pm

Hmm...

I don't know WHAT to think about this.

I have Ahman as my 2nd keeper (R.Williams) and now I'm debating wether to let him go to keep Moss or not..

cripes.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Green to share load with Davenport?

Postby MCG321 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:17 am

From Fanball:
The News
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Packers Insider reports second-year back Najeh Davenport will be playing a larger role in the offense this season—sharing the load with starting halfback Ahman Green. "When you're a serious running football team, with the kind of power schemes that we use, you need at least two guys sharing the load," running backs coach Sylvester Croom told the paper. "I don't think Ahman's wearing out but I'm always worried about injuries to running backs." At 6-0, 250-something pounds, Davenport gives the Packers' ground game a power dimension that complements Green's speed. "I want him to make people afraid," Croom said. "I want to put fear into them. If he's hungry and plays with some attitude, ain't too many people who are going to deal with him… Ahman's a great back. But for a guy to carry the ball 20-plus times a game, particularly a guy with his running style, that's a lot."
Our View
Our first reaction at this time of year is to write off stuff like this as coachspeak, but there's an awful lot of pretty specific coachspeak spewing from Croom on this topic. Other than his alleged laundry basket crapping incident, the Packers have always spoken in glowing terms about Davenport's potential. Sharing the load makes some sense when you consider Green was banged up last year and they are still concerned about his left leg; he also has asthma and occasional problems holding onto the football. Where there's smoke, there may be fire in this case. Green is in danger of slipping in our rankings and Davenport just officially became a sleeper, if he wasn't one already.

With Davenport's size, I wouldn't be surprised if he stole a lot of the goal line touches, giving him a bunch of TDs.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Green to share load with Davenport?

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:31 am

MCG321 wrote:With Davenport's size, I wouldn't be surprised if he stole a lot of the goal line touches, giving him a bunch of TDs.

Agreed...a similar story was posted elsewhere on the Cafe.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MCG321 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:11 pm

Oops...didn't see it.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

AHHHH!!!!!!! RBBC in GB?!?!?!?

Postby Slingblade » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:59 am

THE NEWS

OUR VIEW
Our first reaction at this time of year is to write off stuff like this as coachspeak, but there's an awful lot of pretty specific coachspeak spewing from Croom on this topic. Other than his alleged laundry basket crapping incident, the Packers have always spoken in glowing terms about Davenport's potential. Sharing the load makes some sense when you consider Green was banged up last year and they are still concerned about his left leg; he also has asthma and occasional problems holding onto the football. Where there's smoke, there may be fire in this case. Green is in danger of slipping in our rankings and Davenport just officially became a sleeper, if he wasn't one already.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:06 am

lol man this is like the 3rd thread on this EXACT article.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby awwchrist » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:44 pm

Found this at http://www.greenbaynewschron.com/packers/

"ON THE AGENDA
Some highlights from Sherman's first news conference of training camp: - He would like to preserve starting halfback Ahman Green, riddled by a quadriceps injury during the second half of last season, by giving him only 18 to 22 touches (runs and catches) per game this season.

"Sometimes, it could be more. Sometimes, it could be less," Sherman said. "A lot of that has to do with how he feels. We would love for him - not just his position but that player - to get us 100 yards a game. So, whatever is going to get us that, that's what we need to do."

18-22 touches per game while sharing the load.

in 2002 he had 24 touches per game (1693 combined yards, 9 TDs)

in 2001 he had 22 touches per game (1981 combined yards, 11TDs)

in 2000 he had 11 starts in 16 games, which is 30.5 touches per start or 21 touches per game (1734 combined yards, 13 TDs).

make your own conclusions.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Green & Davenport???

Postby Rossloc » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:55 am

I have read a few things that are saying G.B. is going to have a 2 back system with Green & Davenport?
Anybody have info to support???
Rossloc
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk