No votes
www.hostxl.net
No votes

Total votes : 2

Choosing a Webhost.

Postby deftdelivery » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:12 pm

As Canacuna would say:

"y0 doods,"

I'm looking for a solid webhost to host my website, and would like to know if you guys could help narrow down or possibly choose a service. I've come up with a list of 5 solid hosts I've done a fair amount of research on, and just need some advice on which one to go with.

As some of you know, over the Summer I launched a website called Studio Seraph, and with the help of several cafe members, we were able to produce a quality site. Unfortunately, the host either duped us or bailed ship and left us without a site for months :-/ Bad, Bad Host! :-P

Anyways, Mercer Boy and his good friend, Matt, have decided to fund the site as long as I managed it. So, coming back full circle....which one do ya guys like? We're looking for at least 1000 MB storage limit and 20 GB monthly data transfer. ;-D
Last edited by deftdelivery on Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:22 pm

Good luck with that Deft! ;-D
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Yeah, if you guys could help us out, that would be great. I know absolutely nothing about web hosts...I just want one that won't take the site away from us after a month. :,-(
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:48 pm

I've had a site on Vervehosting.com for a year and a half now. I've had no problems at all and the support has been terrific. But Verve seems really expensive compared to the ones that you listed.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deftdelivery » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:37 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I've had a site on Vervehosting.com for a year and a half now. I've had no problems at all and the support has been terrific. But Verve seems really expensive compared to the ones that you listed.

Yea we're not looking to spend tons...since it's a brand new site.
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby menyak » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:00 am

deftdelivery wrote:Yea we're not looking to spend tons...since it's a brand new site.

Just curious, if it's brand new, what do you need 20 gigs of transfer for? Why not go for a cheap solution now, and scale it up as you need it? :-?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:04 am

Well, I think that deft is thinking about starting some sort of short movie that we can run on the site every week. Because of that it'd probably be necessary to have a higher transfer rate (I have no idea what I'm talking about).

But as you said, this might not be happening in the short run. The only thing we had operating at the time was the forum. It may be wise to do as you suggest, menyak.

We could sure use your expertise in the matter! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:14 am

If I'd be you guys I'd go with http://www.discount-hosting.com - they're simply the best and are almost for free. I used to have all my sites there when they were small, and by bro still has a site with them, so I know their quality didn't change. Virtually all hosts I came accross that charged 10 times as much had more downtime and less reliable support.

They "only" give you 5 gigs transfer, but from my experience, that should really be enough to start with, movies or not. Read their TOS though to see if you are comfortable with what they give you - they are honest guys and you get exactly what they say you get, but not an inch more.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk