Tongue twister... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Tongue twister...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tongue twister...

Postby Homeless » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:54 am

Tongue transplant patient doing well.

The operation took place at Vienna General Hospital
Doctors who have performed what they claim is the world's first successful tongue transplant say the patient is in excellent condition.
The team of doctors from Vienna's General Hospital held a press conference on Tuesday to give further details of the groundbreaking operation, which took place on Saturday.

They said the patient is awake and doing better than had been anticipated.

The liver and kidneys are complicated organs, but the tongue is just muscle, so it should work out

Dr Rolf Ewers
Blood appears to be circulating normally in his new tongue and there has been no sign of him rejecting the organ.

The 42-year-old man, who has not been named, had been suffering from a malignant tumour in his mouth.

This meant that his tongue had to be removed. Surgeons spent 14 hours removing the diseased organ and attaching a new tongue.

Dr Rolf Ewers, who lead the operating team, said they hoped that with his new tongue the patient would be able to talk and eat as normal.

However, at present he cannot move the tongue, and he is unlikely ever to regain his sense of taste.

The risk of infection remains high and the man is currently in intensive care. The first two weeks after surgery are the critical period.

Normal procedure

Professor Ewers said he hoped the operation would become a normal undertaking over the next few years.

"This is the next step for better treatment for patients. The liver and kidneys are complicated organs, but the tongue is just muscle, so it should work out."

Professor Klaus Kreen, who is monitoring the patient in intensive care, said it was difficult to assess the success of the transplant, as the tongue had no vital function.

"We have to rely on blood flow - whether the organ looks nicely coloured."

Professor Kreen said one of the biggest potential dangers was the risk that the patient might bite into the transplanted organ.

Animal experiments

Tongue transplant surgery has been carried out before, but only in animals.

One of the major problems facing doctors is that the mouth is continually being filled with foreign - and potentially infectious - material. However, the mouth is very effective at keeping itself clean naturally.

Doctors often turn to muscle tissue taken from a patient's small bowel to rebuild a tongue that has been amputated because of cancer or other disease, but they say this method is far from ideal because the artificial tongue has limited function.

Can you imagine ! someone elses tongue in your mouth and its not a pretty girls....I wonder where its been ? :-o :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Roseman » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:35 am

Well I am pretty sure they clean it Homey!!!

But this is great news for all the smokers and tobacco chewers out there you can get cancer on your tounge and they can just replace it. Now no one inhale because I dont think they can do anything about lungs yet!!!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby kashikis » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:01 pm

freakish if you ask me, but one more cool thing doctors can do
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:44 pm

%-6
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:48 pm

these transplant operations are just freaky!

i donated half of my liver to my father about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and it was the strangest event in my life! i had no idea that the liver grew back to its normal size in only 3-4wks!! they removed his and put half of mine in him....just weird stuff....the operation took about 13hrs for me and somewhere near 17 for him...the funny thing is that i was in the hospital for about 10 days, but only can remember the last 3-4 days...my wife still will not talk about it!!

i have great respect for these doctors now. they continue to impress me with all of the latest technologies and surgeries. what did people do prior to all of this? it just makes you think sometimes...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:02 pm

Slowkidz wrote:i donated half of my liver to my father about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and it was the strangest event in my life! i had no idea that the liver grew back to its normal size in only 3-4wks!! they removed his and put half of mine in him....just weird stuff....the operation took about 13hrs for me and somewhere near 17 for him...the funny thing is that i was in the hospital for about 10 days, but only can remember the last 3-4 days...my wife still will not talk about it!!!

WOW!!!...wish I could have helped my father... :,-(
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:19 pm

WOW Slowkidz that's a great story!

I always knew you were a good guy ;-D
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:43 pm

kashikis wrote:WOW Slowkidz that's a great story!

I always knew you were a good guy ;-D

shhh...don't tell anyone...it'll ruin my street-rep! ;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:51 pm

WOW Slow, amazing stuff.

Dont think it will stop me making fun of you when I get the chance :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:03 pm

WOW Slow....very cool... ;-D
DieHardCubbie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk