Santana Moss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Santana Moss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mudd » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:08 pm

I started him over Roy Williams this week in fear of Roy not playing.

I'm going to loose b/c of it.

I doubt I'll drop him, but I will not be starting him anytime soon. Hopefully Boldin comes off the IR and picks up where he left off last year.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:16 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I can't believe how bad he sucks.

I don't really think him sucking is the issue. He's not Terrell Owens. He won't be able to pick the ball out of the air from 9 feet off the ground in double coverage. He will always be a deep threat who won't be caught by the secondary once he's off and running.

I agree that unless the Jets offense changes it's general gameplan (and why would they since it's been working fairly well?), Moss won't figure too much this year. Even today, playing from behind, they didn't really look to him.

You'd think that with the year he had last season, they'd employ the John Madden strategy and throw to him on a deep route once per quarter or once per half or something. But they haven't done it. I don't understand why.

It could be that the hamstring has been slowing him a bit, for longer than we know.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:26 pm

Santana Moss is really not that bad, he's just not the top10 WR a lot of people made him out to be. Last year he was anything but a goto target. He basically made a living off of the big play and had a couple big games. This year, the Jet's haven't really needed the big play because they've been able to beat on some weaker teams with their solid running game. This Sunday the run game gets shut down, and McCarreins has his best game of the season against the NE secondary....

Moss' poor production is mostly a result of his hamstring injury though IMO. Without his speed, Moss can't get the seperation that a guy his size needs. And the hamstring injury appears to be lingering, it first occured early in the preseason, and he had to sit out week 6 because of it (only 2 weeks removed from the week 3 bye).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:28 pm

he is definately sucking right now. but there is no way i am going to drop him. the minute I/You do he will blow up on someone elses roster who had a scrub bench player to take the risk on. last year (my first year) i went with the hot hands every week and dropped the cold ones. by the end of the year I owned several of players that were scoring big points every week. my advice would be to stash him on your bench unless you are forced to start him as I was with the bye situation. you just have to suck it up
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelyeri » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:00 pm

proKrastinate wrote:he is definately sucking right now. but there is no way i am going to drop him. the minute I/You do he will blow up on someone elses roster who had a scrub bench player to take the risk on.

That is so very true. Some guy in one of my leagues dropped Jerry Porter this week. I happily picked him up and dropped my second tight end that I used for shockey's bye last week and look at the huge game he had today. crazy how things work out like that.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:05 pm

Santana doesnt suck, his fantasy production sucks.

As others have mentioned, the way the Jets offense is oriented Moss has no opportunity to put up the numbers he is capable of. I hadn't really noticed it much, but Kensat may be correct when he mentions his hamstring problems.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk