10 or 12 Teams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

10 or 12 Teams

Moderator: Football Moderators

10 or 12 Teams

Postby Josh Weed » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:47 am

I am setting up a private league for friends and was wondering which is a better number to have in the league. is 10 too few. I was thinking 12 would be better to have to work harder to have a good team. I am not real experienced with football so could use some help. what do you guys like to play in?? Thanks in advance
Josh Weed

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby roninmedia » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:52 am

Go with the 12. You can still have a team that has a lot of good players but it takes more skill to draft than a 10 team league.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Confluence » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:14 am

Over the last 11 years my league has had between 10 and 14 teams. We feel that 12 is the perfect number.

Also... Don't be worried about ending up with an odd number like 11 or 13 teams. When this happens to us we even the league out with a phantom team. The Phantoms do not have a roster and can not make the playoffs, but they are in a division and they have a record in the standings. Their score is based on the average score for all the teams in your league except for the team playing the Phantoms that week. So if you are playing the phantoms in week 1, in an 11 team league, take the average of the other 10 teams and that is the score you would have to beat. We think this is better than using bye weeks or kicking someone out to make your league even.
blue 42 zip 3 razor
Confluence
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby awwchrist » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:32 am

Go with what you can fill. There's nothing worse than overextending your league to a point where you struggle to get all your owners.

Especially if you think about making this a keeper or dynasty league. I can't stress this enough.

Seriously, there's not really alot of skill that is required to draft in a 12 vs. a 10...or hell even an 8. That's really a myth.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Xtreme » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:03 pm

Not to get off topic, but what's the difference between a keeper league and a dynasty league? Do you keep all your players in a dynasty league?
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:06 pm

Xtreme wrote:Not to get off topic, but what's the difference between a keeper league and a dynasty league? Do you keep all your players in a dynasty league?

Yes.

Go with 10 teams...things will go much smoother for the inexperienced.Once you get a grasp of it then expand to 12.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:31 pm

This will be my third year running my league. I have had only eight teams the last two years. My first year I went with a standard lineup 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, and 1Def. I noticed that there were a lot of pickups and drops that year. Last year I increased my starting lineups to 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, and 1DEF. I also increased the number of banch players. THis cut down on the number of pickups and drops. What it did increase was the trades.
I agree that don't force yourself to have X number of teams. Run with whatever you can get.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Xtreme » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:12 pm

Thanks GP.
I've only played in 12 team leagues, and we've been perfectly fine. I like having more teams because it benefits those who are willing to do a little more research. In fact, this year, we added two more teams just to make it a little more difficult.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Vixtor » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:01 pm

I prefer 16-20 team leagues, by a longshot. That's just me.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:14 pm

Guys...he stated that he's inexperienced...12 at most 'til ya learn the game.10 better.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk