Rookies dont want to play for Browns ! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cleveland Browns

Rookies dont want to play for Browns !

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rookies dont want to play for Browns !

Postby Homeless » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:05 am

The Browns' first rookie training camp practice started yesterday with one problem: not one drafted rookie showed up. "I don't know that I've ever seen that - not on any team I've ever been on," coach Butch Davis told the Plain Dealer. "You'd have liked to think we'd have a couple of guys signed. I know we're being very aggressive and very fair. Cleveland has a history of paying very well, so hopefully we'll be able to get this done." He also threatened that some of the later-round picks wouldn’t make the team if they held out. "We've got some damn good competition and we're going to cut some guys that are pretty good for the first time. Every practice is an opportunity to make an impression on us and you're not going to make many impressions sitting at home." The veteran’s report to camp on Friday.

It’s become a waiting game in the NFL. Agents are stalling for other players to sign first, teams want to know the size of the ballpark before throwing out offers to players, and the rookies are persuaded to hold out for better deals by their agents. Multi-million dollar deals are so complicated these days, aren’t they? In the long run, only the lower-round draft picks will be affected. Their chances of making the team get worse by the day and should sign as soon as possible.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby DUKE » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:24 pm

I don't blame them. :-B
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:34 am

Patrick McManamon, Beacon Journal

Training camp is set to start today and all the Brown's draft picks remained unsigned as of Thursday afternoon. Coach Butch Davis said he hopes at least a few are signed before this afternoon's practice, but clearly he's growing irritated at the delay. Already the draft picks missed the three-day, for-rookies-only part of camp.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Cleveland Browns