The "Mother-in-law" Paradox - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The "Mother-in-law" Paradox

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TTTBone » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:50 pm

I recently read, that an unforseen result of some ongoing DNA testing has shown that aprox. 10% of people may have a different biological father from whom they thought to be their birth father. :-o
Sorry I can't provide a link. I think it may have been in Scientific American, or some other such journal.
Don't let 'em fool you, chicks do get around.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kanezfan11 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:12 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
lbjackal wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:
Manja wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:hmmm. well Im only in grade 12 and wont be going into any biological fields, but some genes are dominant while others are recessive I think the word is. (there are two genes in every pair) so anyway, Ill use one gene for overall hotness (in reality it would be many genes that contribute). But anyways, say the "hotness" gene is recessive. Her father and mother could both have the hotness gene, but as it is recessive it was overpowered by the ugly factor. So it would look like this...
U= ugly (dominant) h= hot (recessive)

Father Mother

Uh Uh

so there are 4 possibilities. because the ugly gene is dominant, any pair with it proves to be ugly. The combinations are UU (Liza Minelli), two Uh's (Kerry Daughters) and the hh (your girlfriend). So, there is a 25 percent chance of her being hot, despite the fact her family is a bunch of ogres. I hope I put this in terms you can understand.

PS- in reality, they use this method to find out probabality of things like colour blindness, heart problems and various diseases.

7th grade science ;-D

7th? wow I learned that in gr 10. here in canada we dont make our students work too hard.

I think they taught me that in grade 9 or 10, but I didn't actually pay attention until grade 11 bio. I seemed to forget everything when I took grade 13 bio and got a 53 :-?

What do you call crossing the alleles, again? Something like a "pungent square"? I dunno, like i said I got a 53 and I'm doing commerce in University... :-b

I think it was named after some guy, but I cant remember who.

I learned it in 8th grade, it's the Punnett Square.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk