terrell davis let go - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

terrell davis let go

Moderator: Football Moderators

terrell davis let go

Postby kamakazi_kal » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:40 pm

broncos waived fromer mvp terrell davis

just wanted to mention him cause he won me 3 ff championships in a keeper league, dude was a terror.

anyway think he's a hall of famer?
kamakazi_kal
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DUKE » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:10 am

Kamakazi: I think that poor guy has taken enough beating. You should quit punching him into the ropes :-)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:28 pm

No he is definitely does not belong in the hall of fame. Sports reporting is such a love-fest that no one wants to step on any toes. We have entered into an era whereby in order to gain access to players writers have to stroke them. Why else would a miserable person like Barry Bonds be given a free pass? No one ever brings up the fact that he is obviously juiced up, wears armor at the plate, AND we toss out pitchers who dare to throw inside. Mays, Aaron, Ruth would have put up numbers that would blow all away if they played in this era. No I think that the hall of fame should honor excellence over an extended period of time, with RARE exceptions. TD had a great couple of years but wasn’t durable enough to qualify for such consideration. There is a reason we need waiting periods before we elect. Distance gives perspective. TD was a great player, but the bare numbers don’t warrant admission. Sorry about the micro rant.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Hall of Famer

Postby trentvaughn » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:55 pm

Terrell Davis is a hall of famer. A two time MVP, three time Pro-Bowler, 2,000 yard rusher, and two time Super Bowl Champion. All of that in 4 good seasons. Gale Sayers had only two thousand yard seasons(TD had 4 in his first 4 seasons), much less a two thousand yard season. He only played for 5 good years. He isn't in the top 50 in any major statistical category, TD is in the top 40 in Rushes, Rusing Yards, and top 30 in Rushing TDs.

Beyond the numbers, he was the backbone of an amazing team, lead by John Elway. It would be an error in judgement to not include Terrell Davis in the Hall of Fame. Not on the first ballot he is on, perhaps not for a decade. His numbers, ability, and the fact that he performed at a superior level for his first four seasons makes me think that he'll be there.

Timm
Cognito ergo sum.
trentvaughn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby yoda83 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:37 pm

TD was insanely tough for that little stretch. but it really is a question of longevity. if he had another 2 or 3 comparable years, i'd say definitely. but he didnt.

assume kurt warner didnt play another play in the nfl. if you vote in davis, you have to vote in warner and i dont think he's hall material, yet.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:57 pm

IMO, T. Davis was the best back to ever play the game. I know he didn't last too long, but he was unbelievable when he played. I think he was one of the reasons that football become America's sport. Maybe he shouldn't be in the hall of fame, but he's not a name that we should be allowed to forget about either.

Friendliness: %

Postby emaja » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:IMO, T. Davis was the best back to ever play the game.

Uhhhhh, no.

You are forgetting about a dozen backs that are much better. Sir Walter - who broke the rushing record despite being the only threat his team had for many years - comes to mind.

An excellent RB - certainly. Best ever - hardly.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby yoda83 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:50 pm

"...one of the reasons football became america's sport"????

i assume you started following the nfl in the mid 1990s. great game, isnt it?
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Orange and Blue » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:17 am

http://espn.go.com/magazine/grant_20020823.html

I think it is also worthy of note that Davis had his hand in pretty much every post-season rushing record out there.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:21 am

I won't bother re-stating that he only played...blah blah blah. To me the most damning statistics are in the numbers his followers put up. The Broncos have been able to plug in RBs every year and get 1,500 yards. Can you say system? Maybe the real hall of famers should be the O-line.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Football Talk