terrell davis let go - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

terrell davis let go

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby tal1286 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:36 am

moochman wrote:I won't bother re-stating that he only played...blah blah blah. To me the most damning statistics are in the numbers his followers put up. The Broncos have been able to plug in RBs every year and get 1,500 yards. Can you say system? Maybe the real hall of famers should be the O-line.

maybe so but still, only the very best RBs in the history put up 2000 yards and even among the elite most didn't. I think he belongs in the hall. Also, the Kurt Warner comparison is invalid. Warner played one great year. he has gotten injured each of the last 2 or 2 out of 3 or something like that. TD put up great numbers for 7 years before getting injured. Kurt warner has had one or 2.
"You're my boy blue, you're my boy."

"Hey boys, we're looking for two lucky guys to be our sun tan lotion boys" ... "Well about 3 miles down the road that way there's a huge city. i'm sure that you'll find two guys there."
tal1286
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yoda83 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:51 am

no, TD put up about 4 good-great years. and warner has put up two (and it would have been three, but he was out for a lot of 2000).
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:39 pm

emaja wrote:
Anonymous wrote:IMO, T. Davis was the best back to ever play the game.

Uhhhhh, no.

You are forgetting about a dozen backs that are much better. Sir Walter - who broke the rushing record despite being the only threat his team had for many years - comes to mind.

An excellent RB - certainly. Best ever - hardly.

Thats why I said IMO.

I've been following football for well over 12 years(i'm only 18), and football was not america's sport before the 90's. Baseball was easily America's sport.

Friendliness: %

Postby emaja » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:43 pm

Anonymous wrote:
emaja wrote:
Anonymous wrote:IMO, T. Davis was the best back to ever play the game.

Uhhhhh, no.

You are forgetting about a dozen backs that are much better. Sir Walter - who broke the rushing record despite being the only threat his team had for many years - comes to mind.

An excellent RB - certainly. Best ever - hardly.

Thats why I said IMO.

I've been following football for well over 12 years(i'm only 18), and football was not america's sport before the 90's. Baseball was easily America's sport.

I understand that it was your opinion, and yes everyone has one. But I guess that if you are only going on recent memory, Emmitt Smith is certainly better than TD. Eric Dickerson, and Barry Sanders were better also. Going back further Jim Brown.

It is OK to have opinions on things that happened before your birth or interest in a subject. Just like all opinions, be prepared to defend them. I am not flaming you. Spirited debate is what makes these conversations fun. Don't take it personally as it was not meant that way at all.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby tjhksig » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:30 am

I'm gonna say Payton and Jim Brown were the best backs ever, followed by Sanders, Smith, and probably Dickerson.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

yeup

Postby for sure » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:45 pm

Anonymous wrote:IMO, T. Davis was the best back to ever play the game. I know he didn't last too long, but he was unbelievable when he played. I think he was one of the reasons that football become America's sport.

TD was unstoppable, and if it wasnt for his fat ass blocker that landed his ass on his leg, he'd still be unstoppable. As for puttind Davis into the Hall of Fame, ;-D FOR SURE ;-D . TD had some of the best stats ever, his unique combo of speed/strength made him the man to have in fantasy football. I dare someone to say that there is a RB in the NFL right now that could outdo Davis. Ricky Williams is good, but he can't push his team to 2 straight super bowl victories within his first 4 seasons can he }:-) ? He cant run over 5k yards in those first 4 seasons can he? The only person that i think could get to be as good as him right now is CLINTON PORTIS: you will see stats like his for a rookie RB once in a turquoise moon 8-o .

As for the man saying Babe Ruth would blow away Barry Bonds' stats if he played now: How do we know that? When Babe Ruth played, they didnt allow black people into the Major leagues, and we all know that Black people dominate most all sports in the US now, so in my opinion, Barry Bonds could quite possibly rival up with Ruth in baseball, he does afterall hold the record for HRs in one season, shattering Babe Ruth's 60.
for sure

Friendliness: %

Postby arrbez » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:58 pm

baseball is such a bloated shell of what it once was, it's not even really relevant to this argument anymore IMO. the amount of home runs flying out of the parks now is crazy

i say put terrel in, just on the strength of those few seasons. besides, how many other RB's have been on sesame street? none.
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Challie » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:39 pm

Best-ever & Hall of Fame debates are always fun.

Terrell is an interesting case, cause every Broncos RB to be plugged into that system has ripped off incredible years (you could make a case that Portis has achieved more cause Elway posed a more credible threat for defenses). Yes, somewhat of a "system" player - but still great nonetheless.

Hall of Fame and best-ever talk tends to get you involved with some lofty names and to be in that category, it takes more than just 2-5 great years. Without even going back just so far as Eric Dickerson (god he was underrated) and Earl Campbell days (him too), I can think of a few backs that are stronger. Emmitt has him on sustaining a franchise's excellence and Marshall Faulk probably outperformed TD every year of his career except for the 2000 yd season.

It's hard to compare players of different eras, etc., and all that jazz. But it is kind of amazing every time somebody runs polls about best ever -- people's memories get very short. With every sport except baseball. I'm rambling & I don't have any point really.

I think Terrell Davis is definitely in my top 25 RBs of all time - and that's a compliment, not a slam.

My question is: Is he the greatest "T.D." RB ever - him or Tony Dorsett?
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby arrbez » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:57 pm

the best "T.D." ever is clearly Tony Danza
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Challie » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:08 am

He's The Boss, after all. (I don't want to hear the inevitable argument that it was Angela!)

Gotta love the Danza. Every character he's ever played is named Tony. Were all producers afraid he wouldn't respond to any character names besides "Tony"?

Back to a practical Terrell Davis question - has he officially retired? Any chance he surfaces with another NFL team this season?
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk