TV Question, please help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

TV Question, please help

Moderator: Football Moderators

TV Question, please help

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:37 am

Hey guys, I know this isn't fantasy per se, but enough knwoledgeable folk patrol here, so maybe you can help.

I live in NYC, so basically, that means I never get to see a game other than the Giants or Jets. And they never are on at the same time.

However, this week, all the listings show that the Ravens and Eagles will be on CBS opposite the Giants on Fox.

Normally, you never see anything like that happen.

However, I seem to remember that in single team markets, a network usually won't show the early game if the home team plays late.

I am wondering if an exception is getting made because the Giants are an away game, and the Jets play monday night, allowing CBS to show two games.

Does anyone know exactly how it works? (MY boss, a Giants fan INSISTS that the Eagles will not be on, because of the "no compete". But I seem to remember occasionalyl seeing the Steelers etc on opposite the Eagles sometimes when I lived in the Philadelphia area)

thanks for any insight.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:42 am

I don't know how it works up there, but down here, CBS ALWAYS shows an early game... They frequently do not show a late game, but there is ALWAYS a 1:00 game on... Even if they have to show us something from one of the Northern divisions, we WILL see a 1:00 game on CBS... If that game is JAX or Miami, then we often do not see a late game, but if both JAX and MIA are late games, byes, or MNF, they'll show us something else... And if MIA or JAX is the late game, we'll see that, too....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:53 am

even if your area team is playing?

see this is hard to figure because ny is a unique example.

But i also doubt that yahoo listings AND tv guide, and the local CBS website are all wrong about what is being shown.

I guess they are treating NY as a one market team for this sunday since the jets don't have a sunday game.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:58 am

eaglesrule wrote:even if your area team is playing?

see this is hard to figure because ny is a unique example.

But i also doubt that yahoo listings AND tv guide, and the local CBS website are all wrong about what is being shown.

I guess they are treating NY as a one market team for this sunday since the jets don't have a sunday game.

Well, Tallahasse is a unique example in that we have an equally split fan base between Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, and Atlanta....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:16 am

I live in Columbus, Ohio so we actually have no team, but we are guaranteed either the Bengals or Browns on CBS (depending which team is playing better).

CBS and Fox alternate which station gets a double header from week to week. We almost always have 2 games at 1:00 and 1 game at 4:00. This week since the Browns are on a bye, we get the CIN vs TEN game at 1:00, and then 2 games at 4:00 (NE vs PIT and ATL vs DEN).

So we are a little skewed from the norm here too. Im not totally sure whats going on, but I wish we had the PHI/BAL game!
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby charlief1975 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:35 pm

I think the network is allow an exemption. In chicago I remember last year they never showed anything against the bears. This season they've showed a few games at the same time. Not every week though.
charlief1975
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:51 pm

Here in Iowa you always see a 1:00 game on both stations then either CBS or FOX will have a 4:00 game. There really is no 1 team here though, you'll see mostly Bears and Packers, but will also see Chiefs, Lions and Rams at times too.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby einglety » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:18 pm

here in michigan we always get a 1:00 game on FOX, usually always lions, and sometimes there's a 1:00 game on CBS, not always though, we then get the CBS at 4:00 and get usually some team around the NY area, or another division game near us
einglety
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:21 pm

In San Diego, we often don't have home Charger games on TV. The TV station blocks out the game if the game did not sell out. Maybe the same thing happens in NYC? Can't see why though...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:24 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:In San Diego, we often don't have home Charger games on TV. The TV station blocks out the game if the game did not sell out. Maybe the same thing happens in NYC? Can't see why though...

Giants and Jets are always sold out. It happened a few times to Carolina when I first relocated down here though.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk