The college dilemma... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

The college dilemma...

Moderator: Football Moderators

The college dilemma...

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:31 pm

Ok, so I just slept through an important speech I had to give in one of my classes. So in other words, I'm likely going to fail. I might fail another class I'm in as well. The other 3 I'm doing decent on.

So what do I do? Do I stop going to the class I'm doing poorly in? If I do fail those classes, is it easy to play catchup with my credits, or what?

Any recommendations from someone who's been in a similar situation?
Image

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5255
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: From Diego to tha bay ...

Postby Chopper » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:46 pm

It has been a lot of years and things have probably changed on campus since, but I was in a similar situation.
I got caught up partying and in my third semester, I failed one course and got a 'D' in two others at a major university. I was promptly disenrolled and asked to remain away for at least a year. No probation, no second chance, nothing.

I did, however, learn after the fact that I could have easily prevented or at least mitiagated the situation by communicating with my profs and/or my counselor prior to official grades getting posted. I think that if you do care about successfully getting past this, you need to immediately go to your professor(s) and guidance center and let them help you develop a plan. Most profs may not give you credit for the missed project, but will be much more willing to work with you to get through the term without too much damage.
Worst thing you can do is rationalize that one or more courses is a lost cause and not deal with them further.
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1259
Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: adrift

Postby brownslover » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:52 pm

Take it from someone who made dropping classes a part time job. If you know you're going to fail the class, or probably won't go ever again. It would do you best to drop the class and just take it another semester/quarter. That way it won't hurt your GPA and if you do it early enough, you may even get your money back for that class. If you don't drop it and fail it, you'll have to take the class over again anyway in order for the credits to count.
What's your fat ass doing here?

He's my only means of conveyance. Buuut I guess I do spoil him.
brownslover
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 273
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: the kron

Postby Flux » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:27 pm

I know that at Ohio State you have a certain amount of weeks to drop the class w/o consequence, and like brownslover said, you would get your money back. After that there is still a few more weeks where you can drop it w/o your professors permission and you would get a "W" on your transcript, meaning you withdrew from the class. A "W" doesnt always look good on a transcript, but if you only have a couple, its not the end of the world. If you end up w/ 5-10 or more then its a bad sign if you are looking to go to a graduate program. But of course, a "W" always looks better than an F.

If you can get out of the classes and sure you are going to fail, then I dont think its a big deal. Its much more common now for people to graduate in 5 years instead of 4, so adding an additions quarter/semester isnt a huge deal.


If you are unable to drop your classes either way, then take Choppers advice. Go see your professors and see what they can do for you. Sometimes they may be pricks, but some of them will definitely surprise you if you take the initiative to go speak w/ them and your advisors. A lot of times advisors have some pull too and can soften your professors up.

W/o knowing what college you are at or how big it is, I would suggest not just altogether dropping the class and taking an F. If you do that and then retake the class w/ the same prof., they very well could remember that you just gave up and showed a lack of motivation and initiative and will make your quarter miserable by being extra hard on you.

On the other hand, if you for sure cant drop the classes w/o recourse, and your profs wont budge, and your advisor cant help, and you know you wont have that prof. ever again, then I think its pretty pointless to go to the remainder of your classes. Unless of course you just want to continue to go and collect all the class materials and notes and tests so you will be better prepared the next time around (which btw, isnt a bad idea)
Image
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6113
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:30 pm

Chopper wrote:I did, however, learn after the fact that I could have easily prevented or at least mitiagated the situation by communicating with my profs and/or my counselor prior to official grades getting posted. I think that if you do care about successfully getting past this, you need to immediately go to your professor(s) and guidance center and let them help you develop a plan. Most profs may not give you credit for the missed project, but will be much more willing to work with you to get through the term without too much damage.
Worst thing you can do is rationalize that one or more courses is a lost cause and not deal with them further.


Chopper is right on. Best advice is to go and talk to your profs about your options. Seriously. Many of them will work with you, some of them wont. Whats the harm in finding out? The fact that you show up at their office contrite and willing to make things right speaks volumes about you as a person and many profs will give you a little elbow room because of it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JtotheF » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:38 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Chopper wrote:I did, however, learn after the fact that I could have easily prevented or at least mitiagated the situation by communicating with my profs and/or my counselor prior to official grades getting posted. I think that if you do care about successfully getting past this, you need to immediately go to your professor(s) and guidance center and let them help you develop a plan. Most profs may not give you credit for the missed project, but will be much more willing to work with you to get through the term without too much damage.
Worst thing you can do is rationalize that one or more courses is a lost cause and not deal with them further.


Chopper is right on. Best advice is to go and talk to your profs about your options. Seriously. Many of them will work with you, some of them wont. Whats the harm in finding out? The fact that you show up at their office contrite and willing to make things right speaks volumes about you as a person and many profs will give you a little elbow room because of it.



Yes, yes and yes. Your professors will usually be your closest allies.
JtotheF
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 190
Joined: 18 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:40 pm

Flux wrote:I know that at Ohio State you have a certain amount of weeks to drop the class w/o consequence, and like brownslover said, you would get your money back. After that there is still a few more weeks where you can drop it w/o your professors permission and you would get a "W" on your transcript, meaning you withdrew from the class. A "W" doesnt always look good on a transcript, but if you only have a couple, its not the end of the world. If you end up w/ 5-10 or more then its a bad sign if you are looking to go to a graduate program. But of course, a "W" always looks better than an F.


I think it's probably past the time you have to drop and get your money back at this point, that's usually only the first week of classes.

At UF, we get 4 drops, 2 for lower division classes and 2 for upper division classes. Basically, as far as your transcript is concerned it's like you never took the class, and you just enroll for it again the next semester. However, you still have to pay for the class even though you dropped it.

I can't say from experience, but I'm guessing it works similarly elsewhere. Dropping the class is definitely in your best interest, as a drop is waaaaaaaaaaay better than an F. If the class is for your major and you get an F in it, you have to retake it anyway AND it factors into your GPA. With a drop you have to retake it but it doesn't affect your GPA.

You should go to the office of the registrar and find out how it works at your University, because the drop deadline is probably getting near, and you don't want to miss that.
_________________
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby Flux » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:49 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Flux wrote:I know that at Ohio State you have a certain amount of weeks to drop the class w/o consequence, and like brownslover said, you would get your money back. After that there is still a few more weeks where you can drop it w/o your professors permission and you would get a "W" on your transcript, meaning you withdrew from the class. A "W" doesnt always look good on a transcript, but if you only have a couple, its not the end of the world. If you end up w/ 5-10 or more then its a bad sign if you are looking to go to a graduate program. But of course, a "W" always looks better than an F.


I think it's probably past the time you have to drop and get your money back at this point, that's usually only the first week of classes.


Yeah Im sure it is in most places. OSU starts VERY late though (I think they started like Sept 28th this year - so less than a month), and I would assume some other colleges would too, just figured Id throw it out there in case he went to one of those schools
Image
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6113
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Turnip » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:24 pm

Talk to your advisor. He/she will know exactly what to do
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1283
Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: NC State or Winston-Salem, NC

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:02 pm

ok, thanks guys ;-D
Image

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5255
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: From Diego to tha bay ...


Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:46 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact