The big drafting question... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The big drafting question...

Moderator: Football Moderators

The big drafting question...

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:25 pm

OK. It's that time of year again, and I'm back to the big question that always seems to kill me. When drafting, do you go with quality depth at RB in the later rounds, or good starters. Let me explain. This year, for instance, I am keeping Alexander and hopefully Dillon into the draft. When I pick in the first round, do I snag someone like Fred Taylor, Stephen Davis, Edge, Henry or whoever else may be the best RB option at that point (we only start two RBs), or do I go for a top-tier WR (not named Harrison, Owens, Horn, Burress or Moulds) and fill out my starters? I always think that taking a third big back is a smart move -- it gives you a backup in case someone gets hurt and for bye weeks. The problem, however, was my who season last year. Through drafting and trades, I wound up with Alexander, Dillon and Curtis Martin. That was fine and dandy, but I always wound up picking the wrong back to start. The guy on my bench turned up some huge numbers that would have gotten me the win that week despite having a harder matchup. It was a headache that cost me the title and the booty to go with it. I'm not sold on Dillon. I think he could break out this season and be a top-tier back, but I'm nervous enough to snag someone else early. However, how do I avoid the headache that I had last season?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Gatekeeper » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:34 pm

I think the play is to grab a big name reciever...I have never been a fan of having three stud backs for the exact reason you mentioned...seems like overkill to me and too much time trying to figure out who to start when nine times out of ten it is a crapshoot. Then I would plan on getting O. Smith in the 7-8th rounds.
The keeper will never let you pass!!!
The Gatekeeper
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Yianni2112 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:42 pm

I've been in the same league for twelve years and one thing I learned is I allways start my starters. I nominate two and play them. I don't do match ups I just play them.

Live and die by the sword.

The only name left on your list is Moss and I would love to have him on my team.

I try to get elite players at EACH position rather than have one sitting on the bench. Once the potions are filled then I worry about my depth. Why try to pretict an injury just deal with it when it happens via trade or free agency.

Once your playoff bound then you improve your depth.
Yianni2112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

draft

Postby CoachAub » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:02 pm

Instead of a 3rd RB get the starting WR! Fill your starting roster. You can always work on filling a bye week or injured player later with trades or WW. With just two stud RBs your decision making on game day will be easier. I believe in the NBYS method of picking starters! I've used matchups but they are less reliable than NBYS.
***Coach Aub***
GSL Norris @ Fanball's Exit42
Zealots-Z28 Eagles
CoachAub
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby columbo » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:23 pm

owens should score more points for you than the rbs you've listed, so take him or harrison. If they're gone, take one of the rbs you've listed and use 'em in a trade for a top wr later. I guess it depends on how YOU rate these guys compared to the wrs.
"Listen Columbo, just for a minute how about we stop pretending that I'm brilliant and you're simple!"
columbo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:37 pm

If I was in your position, I'd draft Taylor. Start him alongside Alexander and keep Dillon as insurance. In the next two rounds of the draft, I'd (probably) go with WRs.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:41 pm

Do you have to keep Dillon? What keeper WR options do you have? Dillon and Alexander are both inconsistant as far as RBs go, so playing matchups are going to continue to cause you problems. Except for Taylor, the other 3 RBs you mentioned, while all have risks, will be more consistant than either of your keepers. I would seriously think about putting Dillon back in the mix and keeping a WR if you have any top 10 at all.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Xtreme » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:09 pm

I think it's easier to fill depth from the free agent market when you need it. I would definitely fill your starters. That's what I did last year (Faulk, McAllister, Harrison, McNabb, Gonzalez, Moss, not in that order) and I finished 12-2. Whenever I was hit with an injury, I used free agency to find new starters or trade bait.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:40 pm

I think league size is also a factor here. With very few teams, an RB probably isn't even worth thinking about; if your league is very deep, on the other hand, the trade value of any of those backs might be worth it.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:53 pm

Xtreme wrote:I think it's easier to fill depth from the free agent market when you need it. I would definitely fill your starters. That's what I did last year (Faulk, McAllister, Harrison, McNabb, Gonzalez, Moss, not in that order) and I finished 12-2. Whenever I was hit with an injury, I used free agency to find new starters or trade bait.

i hope ur not couting on that happening again!! jeez... who r u playing with? gorillas? ;-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk