Anyone read Scott Engel's fantasy advice? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone read Scott Engel's fantasy advice?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone read Scott Engel's fantasy advice?

Postby King Colt » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:05 am

This makes 2 days in a row now where ESPN's Scott Engel has given the same line of advice: If someone offers you a trade that is clearly in your favor, you should turn it down OR offer the other team more in order to make the deal fair. By doing this, he suggests that you will keep the trust of your leaguemates. I'm not a big fan of this guy, but advice like this makes me want to stop reading ESPN altogether. Anyone agree with his assessment?

Here's one example:

John NY: I've been offered Randy Moss and Burleson for Hines and E. Johnson. I also have Heap at TE. Should I pull the trigger?

Scott Engel: (10:45 AM ET ) You need to give up a bit more to get Randy Moss.

Engel defends his position:

Eric (Arlington): Not quite sure I understand your logic when you say a team needs to give up more in a trade. If I was offered Moss and Burleson for Ward and Johnson, I'd do it in a second. I wouldn't counteroffer so that I could give up more. Isn't that like going to a car dealership, getting offered a sweet deal, and replying that you don't want the deal b/c you think you should pay more?

Scott Engel: (10:56 AM ET ) Trading is not the same as getting a discount - that's more comparable to drafting - when you make a trade, the object is not to fleece the other guy - in the end, it will only mean you incur objections form leaguemates and hurt your rep as a trader. And you'll lose that other owner as a possible trade partner.

Here's another one:

Ed Frank, Lodi, N.J.: I have been offered a trade -- Marvin Harrison for Emmitt Smith. My WR's are Chad Johnson, Javon Walker, David Patten and David Terrell. But with this trade I would have to start Priest Holmes and Willis McGahee, who is not a guaranteed starter.

Engel: Smith has indeed being playing much better than expected, but even though his yardage numbers have been a bit disappointing, Harrison commands much more value in a trade than to just offer Smith for him straight up. Plus, some of your league mates might protest such a deal, so think twice here. Offering Chad Johnson, who has also been a bit disappointing, and McGahee, would keep your starting backfield intact while still allowing you to acquire Harrison. An offer that would not include Johnson or Walker would not be a fair one. You'll still have a solid third WR in Patten. And in the end, Harrison should be an upgrade over Johnson.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bmonkey » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:14 am

<edited for content>

If someone is stupid enough to give me a trade that is unfair for him... then I'd jump all over it. Hell, I'll even counter with somethign that makes it even more unfair for him. I could care less what others think if i rip people off. They'll trade with me again later in the year if my guys are producing and I have what they need.

<edited for content>
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Rorgg » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:20 am

Look, I'm all for not ripping someone off. I wouldn't want to trade a guy I saw get in a car accident on the way to work before it hit the news.

But if someone offers you something that you can reasonably interpret as potentially beneficial for them, and even better for you, hell yes take it, and don't look back.
Rorgg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:22 am

Fantasy football isn't a game of charity.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:26 am

If its completely lopsided and disgusting, the league or commish would turn it down. Otherwise, all if fair
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:28 am

Man that is terrible advice put out there by espn. Thats a site that a lot of newcomers put a lot of trust in. Thats just irresponisble journalism, because his logic is pathetic and wrong.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:30 am

Great, politically correct fantasy football :-P .
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rohbshop » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:33 am

Honestly, i dont think most of those prominent fantasy writers that give advice are any good. From the ones that write for USAToday, CNN, CBSSportsline, ESPN, or any other sports channel, i've rarely seen good advice from any of them.

His point is really stupid. The value of Eric Johnson is really high right now, while Moss's value has decreased somewhat due to his injury. Leagues that require a TE(and award differently for TE's) will place alot of value on Eric Johnson since hes been putting up some monster numbers, and is SF's primary receiver it seems. I dont think that trade is really unfair, of course Moss is the big name, but getting that kinda production from your TE spot in relation to TE's around the league in general can mean alot.

Basically that guy is an idiot :-P
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:33 am

What a chump.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby petedog9 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:34 am

I am in a 10 team league with a bunch of buddies. The best part of trading is trying to screw the other guy and actually getting away with it and then watching the whole league dogpile on the guy who got the short end of the stick and call him a DUMBA$$..... Thats one of the funnest part of FFL. That and trash talking between buddies. We use RTSPORTS and they have a live chat room where everyone can get in . Usually after MNF each week and that is where alot of the trades are negotiated. Its alot of fun. We are all big boys and know what we are doing so if somebody is dumb enough to trade away talent for scrubs then its on them...........
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk