Who gets to be a Colt next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who gets to be a Colt next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:28 pm

Im in the same boat as Plindsey.. and its a sick one. I think they should let marv go, keep edge, promote wayne and stokely, and draft a WR in like the 3rd round. (fill in the 3 or 4 spot)
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:29 pm

hmm it is a tough descision. It looks like stokely could fill in at number 2 and wayne at number 1 should harrison leave. however rhodes is also very capable. I honestly do not know what they will do.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:25 pm

Pete123444 wrote:if it were up to me, i'd let em both go. rhodes can handle the running. manning can handle the passing game. they need to spend money on their defense.

thank you jebus! I posted that about 2 weeks ago... don't thinki found much support. Good to know there are others who think like myself.

But i also have another issue with this... they pretty much need to let them both go. In the last year of Manning's contract, isnt he pencilled in to make something like 18 million dollars? I know that's far away, to a time when both Edge and Harrison might not even be playing anymore, but it goes to show just how much money Manning will be taking up in the future... the Colts really shot themselves in the foot on that one. No man is worth more than $1 million a game... its insane. get some defenders now, draft a WR, and hope to whatever deity you believe in that you have the oppurtunity to dump Peyton and grab another QB sometime in the future.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:41 pm

I'd have to agree with Mercer here, Marv is an integral part of the Indy pass attack. He lures the defenders away, and has a strong veteran presence that amps up the numbers of Wayne and Stokley even when he isn't making big catches. I see Edge looking toward returning home, and heading off to Miami. Dommy Rhodes would make a fine replacement, and if they decide to keep one I would think they'd be better off with Marv.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Harrison is a Colt 100% next year

Postby nickjumpman » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:43 pm

They are definitely going to keep Harrison. Manning and Harrison have chemistry like Montana to Rice and there is no way they break this up. Edge is expendable because it is a well known fact that RBs get used up quickly in this league cause of the pounding they take. Plus they are grooming Dominic Rhodes to replace Edge and Rhodes is very good. Harrison is a Colt next year 100%.
nickjumpman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby irishclown » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:50 pm

Trade for better "D". Even if you let both Edge and Harrison go someone will step up in their place. Just look at Stokely and Rhodes!! Also Walters will be back. Unless they get some better players on the other side of the ball, the will only get to the playoffs, and get bounced again. (Like by my boys from N.E.)

But, If they had to keep one guy I would stay wih Harrison, they seem to have the best chemistry around, right with C-pepp and Moss!!
irishclown
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby King Colt » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:13 pm

I think you guys are overestimating Rhodes. True, he rushed for 1000 yards when he filled in for injured Edge, but the Colts didn't make the playoffs that year. We went 6-10 and Manning threw 23 INT's because defenses were able to key on the pass. Rhodes doesn't command the same kind of defensive respect that James does.

In addition, James is a very versatile, everydown back. Rhodes isn't. That means we have to sub when we want t go short yardage or pass the ball. Sure lots of teams do this, but it really hurt our passing game when we had to tip our hand like this. These are the reasons Manning threw 23 INT's.

You guys can discuss it all you want, but don't discount the post I made earlier. It gives all the details that could be known at this point.

Harrison isn't going anywhere.

Regarding Manning's contract: does anyone doubt that it will be restructured? There's no way that he can take so much of the cap and expect to win games. They signed him to a deal that would make him the highest paid player in the game. It's all downhill from there. Peyton knows he won't be able to take all that money, he just wanted (and deserved) to have the richest contract. Now that that's been done, it's back to business.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:35 am

Because of Manning's fat contract, Indy doesn't have the money to sign Edge or Marv next year.

But they don't need them. They already have extremely adequate recievers in Wayne, Stokely, Troy Walters and world class tight ends Pollard and Clark. Manning is good enough to make it happen with Pop Warner wide receivers if he needed to.

I'll admit that the jury is still out on Dominic Rhodes, but don't forget James Mungro, who could shine if given the opportunity. He's short but fast as lightening.

FACT: Indy's defense stinks. The problem in Indy isn't the offense, it's the swiss cheese defense. Indy needs to spend every one of its draft picks next year on defense, and use extra cap space if available to sign some free agents.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:51 am

My money is on letting James go.

Harrison has been there forever, and I could see Peyton restructuring to help free up money. Marvin was willing to renogiate to free up $$$ for Manning, I could see the same being done.

Rhodes has shown he can handle the backfield duties.

Wayne and Stokley would not be the same WRs if not for Harrison commanding the respect he gets on the field.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtlenway » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:54 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Harrison is already signed to a long term contract. And yes Harrison is a essential element of this offense as he is constantly drawing the dbl team opening things up for Wayne and Stockley. As soon as team realize the cant single team Wayne, Harrison wakes up and Bamm a 100 yds and two scores.

Starting Team

QB P Manning
RB A Green
RB M Moore
WR M Harrison
WR R Gardner
WR Keyshawn Johnson
TE R McMichael
K D Brien
D/ST Baltimore

Bench

QB Carr