Who gets to be a Colt next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who gets to be a Colt next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Estarr01 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:44 pm

Pete123444 wrote:

KC's offense is awesome and they dont have any wr let alone a #1. i agree #1 wr's are hard to find but with manning they really dont need a #1. i believe any third wr who could catch would be a decent fantasy option even if wayne and stokley were 1 and 2 respectively. i believe if you have a top qb and a great offensive line it doesnt matter who runs or catches as long as they can run or catch.

Pete, I'm not speaking solely about offenses I'm trying to look at the QB/WR and how they can help to optimize an offense. In the case of the KC, I would have to argue that Gonzo/Priest compensates for the lack of not only any #1 WR, but also the lack of a #2 or #3 WR.
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:44 pm

I think this all traces back to Peyton's way-too-large way-too-selfish contract that was signed last year. I brought this point up when he was signed and was slammed, flamed and w/e else you can think of for insulting the golden boy of the NFL. If I had the choice I would keep Edge, not only do they need a RB, but Marv is getting up there in years.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bald1 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:59 am

well....i'm from indy and there is obviously alot of talk around here on the subject. irsay(owner) has been quoted in the indy star as saying "i don't know what everyone is talking about(concerning only being able to keep one), it's my money and i say they're both staying in indy. i don't care what it takes, both harrison and edge will be colts next year.)
so, take that for what it's worth. i'm of the school that says let them both go and spend the money on defense. now obviously marv does indeed draw the opposing d's attention and that's what leaves wayne and stokely open alot. and edge is finally the edge of old after his injury. he is under used but just the threat of him getting the hand off keeps the linebackers and safties guessing which also leaves all those holes that stokley is filling, but have you seen their d? i mean please. if you score 28-35 points, you ought to be able to win a game.
rhodes has indeed proven he can run the ball, but he's also been injury prone. you could however get a decent backup rb at the end of the first round and polian has proved he can find offensive gems in later rounds or undrafted free agents(rhodes) and there will be penty of free agent wide receivers out there ready to take a little less to let manning toss them the ball. you also have clark to catch balls (pollard will probably be a cap casualty too and they drafted hartsock this year in case that happens).
so....franchise one if you want or let them both go and roll the dice with an improved d and some free agents and draft picks and rhodes(who did get over 1000 yards after edge went down after week 6 a coupla years ago) but by all means FIX THE D!!!!!
bald1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:02 am

I don't see Peyton's contract being way too selfish. Shouldn't the best QB (at least arguably) get paid like the best? He has resurrected that franchise and had them on the brink of the Super Bowl last year.

He has not yet had the chance to restructure the deal to see how it affected the signings/resignings during the offeseason.

Seeing his family is allegedly in the 'PR' business, I would think good publicity like that would go a long way. I still think he will free up some cap space, but I could be dead wrong.

How people can fault him for signing a deal that was agreed to by Colts management. You never hear one bit about Polian or Irsay offering way too much money. Just how selfish Manning is. Just goes to show people love to bash Peyton. That is pretty ironic if you ask me.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:28 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:How people can fault him for signing a deal that was agreed to by Colts management. You never hear one bit about Polian or Irsay offering way too much money. Just how selfish Manning is. Just goes to show people love to bash Peyton. That is pretty ironic if you ask me.

People have no problems faulting Kellen Winslow when he signs a monster contract. I never hear anyone bashing Peyton, only thing I hear is about how great he is. The Colts had to cut 7 players last year to make room for Manning's monster contract, not bums either - starter quality players - and now they are probably going to end up losing one of their two other stars or being in salary cap hell for the next 10 years. That's selfish to me.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sloww » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:29 pm

look at what has happened to c-pep in the 2 weeks moss has been out...

IMO, similar situation in indy... marvin is the reason wayne and stokley are having the year they are, and a big part of why manning is having so much success

indy would not just pick up where they left off offensively if they lost harrison
sloww
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Bowie » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:20 pm

Is there any reason no one talks about Travis Henry as a Colt next year? I don't know what his contract is like, but I would imagine it is less then what James will be asking for. I realize a trade would have to be negotiated, but isn't this a viable option? I guess I just have trouble seeing a team on top handing their job over to a relatively unproven Rhodes. Manning, Harrison, and Henry could be a very nice compromise.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:23 pm

Bowie wrote:Is there any reason no one talks about Travis Henry as a Colt next year? I don't know what his contract is like, but I would imagine it is less then what James will be asking for. I realize a trade would have to be negotiated, but isn't this a viable option? I guess I just have trouble seeing a team on top handing their job over to a relatively unproven Rhodes. Manning, Harrison, and Henry could be a very nice compromise.
The reason that no one talks about Henry going to the Colts is because of Dominic Rhodes. He could step in and fill the RB void easily if Edge left and won't command near Henry's salary.

I thought I heard a few weeks back that Indy and Harrison were nearing an extension, anyone else hear this?
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:27 pm

Henry could probably be had by the Colts for a 3rd round pick, I'd definetly spend a 3rd round pick on a 1-year rental of Travis Henry if I lost Edge.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:46 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:I don't see Peyton's contract being way too selfish. Shouldn't the best QB (at least arguably) get paid like the best? He has resurrected that franchise and had them on the brink of the Super Bowl last year.

He has not yet had the chance to restructure the deal to see how it affected the signings/resignings during the offeseason.

Seeing his family is allegedly in the 'PR' business, I would think good publicity like that would go a long way. I still think he will free up some cap space, but I could be dead wrong.

How people can fault him for signing a deal that was agreed to by Colts management. You never hear one bit about Polian or Irsay offering way too much money. Just how selfish Manning is. Just goes to show people love to bash Peyton. That is pretty ironic if you ask me.

I completely agree. id like to add my own opinion of selfish. selfish is holding out for more money, refusing to play, demanding a trade whatever it is just for more money.

taking a contract that you are offered is not the least bit selfish IMO.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk