Anyone else have 'touched by an angel' team in their league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone else have 'touched by an angel' team in their league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone else have 'touched by an angel' team in their league?

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Dude in my league whose starting receivers (Holt, Horn) were both on bye settles for Burress and MeShawn — and winds up with 4 TDs out of them.
The schedule also gave him the Culpepper-RMoss owner who had previously been rolling everyone else. This is the latest in a series of breaks (including twice playing the low-scoring team of the week) that has him at 7-1.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtlenway » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:01 pm

I was one of the forturne to be touched by the angel. I finally, got tired off starting and hoping with Santana Moss and had Holt off this week. So I had to go the reserves and played MeShawn Johnson and Rod Gardner along with my other regular starter, Marvin Harrison. Bamm, all three of my WR blew up with two scores each.

Starting Team

QB P Manning
RB A Green
RB M Moore
WR M Harrison
WR R Gardner
WR Keyshawn Johnson
TE R McMichael
K D Brien
D/ST Baltimore

Bench

QB Carr
RB Dillon
RB Pittman
WR Holt
WR Driver
WR Santana Moss
TE F Jones
K Carney
D/ST Buffulo
mtlenway
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bungle613 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:15 pm

Actually a cafe regular who will remain nameless has the gods with him this year. He's good anyways so the breaks bother me even more. 3 weeks ago his opponent forgets to put Moss back in his line up. He wins by 2 or 3 points. Happened at least 3 times this year so far.

The strangest one I've seen is this week playing me. A guy need a RB filler and we are a deep league... he grabs T. Fleming... I say who the hell is that? tenn RB... 50 yards and a td. WTF is that about? How the hell do you go to the WW and decide on T. Fleming? I still have no idea what his first name is!
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:28 pm

I have almost always had a "Touched" team throughout my fantasy life. It's mainly because of consistent players, but I always seem to do just enough to win. If I do crappy, the other guy does even crappier. If the other guy scores a ton, I end up scoring more. If you've ever clicked on that thing under my sig, you may have read about that scourge of fantasy football called "The Mercer Jinx."

This week I had to use McGahee in the hopes he would actually play most of the game because Pittman was on bye and Henry has become a total bust :,-( .

My oppo scored 124 points (dang good score in 10 yd/pt Yahoo league)...I had three guys get 2 TD's and Drew Brees as a Bulger bye-filler and scored 138. I was the only person who could have beaten that guy that week. I'm sure he'll be mad about it...

But that's what happens when you try to go up against "The Mercer Jinx." :-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:45 pm

Someone's still undefeated in my money league.

broke the record by two weeks so far. There's some angel fondling goin on there.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby strats36 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:51 pm

One of my teams has also been touched by an angel. Too bad it was the angle of darkness, Lucifer!

1-6 and all my losses have been decided by fewer than 5 points.

You won't see any of those guys pictures down there.
ImageImageImage
strats36
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jscupa » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:54 pm

I got so lucky
I was 6 points up
with dillon left and he had t.jones left
well dillon had the 4:15 game
and sat out giving me NO points I was mad
and worried I was up by 6 and he still had t.jones left
well thank god t.jones got hurt or I would have lost

;-D
QB: B.leftwhich, C.Palmer, brunell
RB: A.Green, C. Dillion, droughons, M.moore, Q. Griffin, bell
WR: C.Johnson, D.Jackson, A.toomer, B.Llyod
TE: wiggins, B.Franks, L.J. Smith
K: Kristie
Def: Redskins, bills
Jscupa
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:56 pm

I played Holmes this week. I started Rattay (who ended up not playing) as my QB.

Alexander and Brown run wild, Josh Brown has a big kicking game, and Buffalo D lights it up with a TD. I win and I still have Santana and McMichael to go.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby caneblood » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:13 pm

In my league there is a team with the 3rd lowest overall score, but he is 6-2!

He's only put up 18 points more (for the whole season) than the last place team which is 0-8.

Obviously the match ups have worked in his favor. But, he plays some of the better teams for the next few weeks so I'm sure he'lllummet bck to earth.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Rorgg » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:49 pm

I'm the touched by an angel team this year, should be 8-0 barring anything REALLY weird happening tonight.

Week 1, I'm far far behind and shut off the TV to later learn that Tiki Barber ran for a 72 yard TD at the end of a game with the Giants getting smoked. Pre-season, I'd tried to trade Barber to no fewer than 5 other teams. Nobody wanted him. The reason I wanted to trade? All my bye week data was bad, so I had all my RBs on the same bye and both my QBs. I win by 3.

Week 4, I play the team with Matt Hasslebeck, Shawn Alexander, Seattle D, and Darrell Jackson... on the week Seattle byes. Only his QB, kicker, and defense score any points at all.

Week 5, I play the Cursed QB team. They have 3 mediocre QBs, and it seems whichever one plays does the worst. Sure enough, I win by 4 as the QB he plays scores negative 6.

Week 6 was my running back problem week -- Jamal Lewis, Edgerrin James, and Tiki Barber all out on bye. I manage to swing two trades to get rid of Lewis and pick up Corey Dillon and Rudi Johnson. I'm one point ahead in the night game when the opposing kicker trots out to nail a FG that will sink me. Except it's Jeff Wilkins, who hurt his plant foot earlier in the game, and he misses his second FG of the game. I win by one.

Week 8 was the week both my QBs were out, so I was playing the third-stringer I picked up in a trade back in week 6. I also tossed out my solid kicker to get a new, slightly better one. Then realized my new one was on bye, past the pickup deadline. I manage to wheedle a 2-for-1 trade for Curtis Martin and a spare kicker "thrown in" for Dillon and Rudi Johnson before anyone realizes my bad move. Johnson does little, Dillon gets hurt, and since I'm a player short this week now, I dig down into my bench and pull out... Rod Gardner with his 2 TD catches.
Oh yeah, the third string QB? Vinny T. 4 TDs.

I mean, my team's good, I'll be leading the league in scoring after tonight, but without this golden horseshoe up my rear, there's no way I should be undefeated.
Rorgg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk