Card collecting sucks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Card collecting sucks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Card collecting sucks

Postby The_Commish » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:17 pm

Hobby has went to the toilet because there are so many god damn different inserts & brands.

Gone are the days looking to get "the card" (i.e. 1989 Griffey Jr. Upper Deck rookie).

Can't believe I wasted all that money on cardboard.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:14 pm

I stopped card collecting the new stuff a few years ago, it doesnt suck if you search for the older stuff and memorabilia.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:21 pm

I disagree with you. I like all the new inserts. Some are hard to get and when you do get them they are worth a lot of money. I also like having all the different brands. Before everyone bought the same cards and their was such a great number of them that it hurt the card value. Now each brand is in smaller circulation and with so many brands to buy it helps keep everyone from having the same cards.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:34 am

i stopped collecting about 10 years ago....back then there were the major brands of fleer, upper deck, topps,and donruss. now when i look in a card shop im baffeled at the number of different cards for each player. seems like it would be a lot harder to keep up on. back in the day it was pretty simple. i must say tho..the newer cards look a lot more awesome then when i collected them!!
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Agent23 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:41 am

I stopped about 5 years ago now. It's too expensive, and you can spend $100 - $200 on a box and get $20 worth of cards back.

It's impossible to make a "complete set" anymore, due to the low #'d rookie cards, etc.

Yea, they are nice (the inserts)....but it's too expensive, and just not worth it anymore....in my opinion.
Agent23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Deathlok2001 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:50 pm

I hate how some of the newer sets have the player "floating in space!"

LOL

I want to see the player running/throwing/catching/etc the ball on a FOOTBALL FIELD! NOT with a background of fancy, shiny, material.
Deathlok2001
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk