Taylor & Smith's value with Lefty out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Taylor & Smith's value with Lefty out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Taylor & Smith's value with Lefty out?

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:14 pm

How are some you Fred Taylor & Jimmy Smith owners feeling about Lefty out?

As a Smith owner I'm thinking his stats shouldn't change that much. A young WR has to have a main target right?
Who da man? Sp_Da_Man !
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:21 pm

Taylor's value up, Smith's down. They may crowd the box now, but I think this is exactly what Fred needed to wake him back up.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby spodog » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:47 pm

Yeah. I'd agree on the RB issue, but not on Smith. Taylor will be relied on even more, so his value will be up slightly, but he's not having a stellar year, so only slightly.

Smith's value will go down considerably if Lefty is out for an extended period. You are right, a new starting QB will need a primary target, but that isn't going to be balance the need for a good QB/WR "feel" and practice time and decision making and all the other things that go into a WR's quality of production.

A RB, on the other hand, does not have to get used to a new guy sticking the ball in his sternum 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

If Jax had an experienced backup like a Brunnell, Gus Frerotte or a Trent Dilfer or even a Todd Collins, you could maybe feel a little better about JSmith, but David Garrad will be wearing diapers for a few games, so don't expect much out of the Jax passing game if the stories are true about Lefty.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Swinger_ffc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:21 pm

I think both go down.

Smith was getting yards and a td here and there. Now what? Does Garrard have a raport with him at all? Or will he look toward one of the secondary receivers.

Taylor's been decent lately, but with a new qb, things will change. Defenses will react differently now towards Garrard, and if I were to pick between a negative or positive approach to Fred T, I would say negative. I'm just not sure that Taylor "explodes" now becasue he'll get more carries. It doesn't seem like it will.
Play with all you have.
Swinger_ffc
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Ben_ffc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:23 pm

why would stacked boxes yield better returns for fred taylor? i would think that the going is rough for freddy from here on out.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby feverfive » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:25 pm

I agree w/ the apparent consensus: DOWNGRADE both. More touches for Fred, in a counter-intuitive way, may actually hurt him as his RELATIVELY good health the past two years may be directly attributable to fewer touches, and thus fewer hits taken......
feverfive
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby MadScott » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:56 pm

I actually think that Taylor is upgraded, provided he is healthy. He came on big for this team the second half of last season and could return to that role if Lefty is out.

As for Jimmy, he's blowing up this year because of his own doing. He's been better for Lefty than Lefty has been for him. No reason to believe that his productivity will fall off that much if Lefty misses time.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk