who are some players you got who others gave up on early? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

who are some players you got who others gave up on early?

Moderator: Football Moderators

who are some players you got who others gave up on early?

Postby sinicalypse » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:09 am

one name comes to mind when i pose the question in the topic: plaxico "plexiglass" burress.

he started off terribly, i swear he had like 60 yards and 0 TDs after the first 3 or maybe even 4 weeks, then when big ben got in and got comfortable, plexiglass turned it on, which is great timing for him seeing as its a contract year.

right now plaxico is sitting at 419 yards and 4 TDs. and the best part is, when he was cut by people, he didnt have any of these #s, so whoever was slick enough to pick him up got those 4 TDs and probably about 250-325 yards.

personally, i had him from the draft in one league and got him as a FA in two others. in the league i drafted him in, my WRs were a big joke, i had no 2nd RB to priest, and yet, i lead the league in points with a 6-2 record after 8 weeks (and had i started stokley one week, and i forget which player or two for the other, i'd be 8-0)

the other player i got in one league was tiki barber. someone cut him after week 1, i nabbed him, and urprise surprise he's been a top 5 (maybe even top 3) RB since then, with something like 6 TDs and a good helping of both rushing and receiving yards.

other honorable mentions:

- byron leftwich (he had that streak where he had 300+ yard games, i know for one of 'em he was a sub for a bye weeked mcnabb and he put up 26 for me)

well i cant think of anymore. who do y'all have?
sinicalypse
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:50 am

I made a trade to get Derrick Mason for Santana Moss straight across the board. I wasn't too enamored with Moss' perfomance through week 4 and the other guy felt the same way about Mason. So far, I've come out way ahead in that deal.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mad benjamin » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:54 am

I, too, picked up Burress. I didn't even know he had been dropped until I was combing the ww and I couldn't move fast enough to pick him up. This was right around the time Big Ben took over.

I also was able to snag Reggie Wayne off ww; my brother dropped him to pick up David Terrell LOL!

Our commish dropped McCardell a few weeks in (he was actually trying to trade him) when it appeared he was going to sit out indefinitely and I managed to get on board w/ him, too.

Others I've been lucky enough to snag; Pittman (picked him up about 2 weeks before his suspension ended), Brees (still just sitting there until I grabbed him before he went off last week), Levens (not a great pick-up, but needed a bye week fill-in for this week w/ Brown on bye and Chester Taylor now returned to back-up status).
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby befo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:07 am

After the first week, I had someone who wanted to trade Javon Walker for Lamar Gordon and Tyrone Wheatley.
befo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby k68 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:53 am

A. Green - 3 weeks ago his value was at an all time low so I swooped in to get him and now have Holmes and Green! ;-D
k68
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby marcusallen » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:42 am

Dom. Davis
Please help me with mine, thanks!

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=758243#758243
marcusallen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Big Pimpin' » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:01 am

i picked up pittman,boldin,mccardell all off of waivers.
those guys were never really drafted though.
i just picked up b.lloyd in one of my leagues after he was given up on. i'm happy about that because it is a 16 team league and the pickings are slim for backups.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:21 am

I gave up on Peerless Price. I traded him + 2 players for Santana Moss.

A stiff for a stiff.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:45 am

After the first three weeks with no touchdown catches and a single game high of only 61 yards, culminating with only two catches for 35 yards against the Raiders (who anybody can score on) I dumped WR Michael Clayton beause I needed the roster space. I'd sure like to have him back.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Twotoe » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:19 am

I got Boldin, McCardell, and leftwich off waivers, and traded Faulk/Zeroue for deuce and stecker which I think works out well for me. I also have a waiver request on Brees who got dropped after a 5 TD game (I don't get it either).

However, I dropped Fitz for Toomer and Emmit Smith for Bennet which I think was a mistake. I also got beat to Plax, Mewlede Moore and Big Ben.
Twotoe
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk