Positive Leftwich Update!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Positive Leftwich Update!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Positive Leftwich Update!!

Postby Warpigs » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:43 pm

From his Yahoo bio update today:

Nov 3 Despite earlier reports that feared Bryon Leftwich might miss several games, if not the entire season, the Jaguars starting quarterback may not miss any time. Dr. James Andrews diagnosed Leftwich with a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his left knee, according to the Associated Press, and said that he will not need surgery, only rest. ''We'll re-evaluate Monday and have a better sense of when Byron will be able to join us," head coach Jack Del Rio said on Tuesday. "We have not ruled out the Detroit Lions here at home.''
Views: Fantasy owners with Leftwich on their roster were bracing for the worst, but can breathe easier with this diagnosis. Be sure to have a backup plan for Leftwich going forward, in case the knee does not progress as quickly as the team expects. But, with surgery apparently not needed, owners can tentatively plan on having Leftwich available for the stretch run.

Looks like he may not be down long at all. Remember that this guy played with a broken leg in college -- and I'm sure he'll do everything possible to help keep his Jags in contention.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby strats36 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:36 pm

Looks like I'll be picking him up off waivers. Just in case.
ImageImageImage
strats36
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:51 pm

I saw this today as well. Great news all around if this is the case.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:44 pm

wtf ...

On Monday, he's done for the year
On Tuesday, he's out 4-6 weeks and I cast him to the wire
On Wednesday, he tells Del Rio he's a go coming out of the bye week
Stay tuned ... On Thursday, he finds a cure for cancer.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby jag-fan-in-la » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:53 pm

I agree with the last guy. I am a Jags fan, but I am concerned about Lefty starting back too quickly just to prove a point. . .

Both of the back-ups are capable and neither will take his job. Del Rio should let him rest for a week or two.
Don't call me, email me, im me,page me, visit me. . . ANYTHING during my football games !! And. .I MEAN IT!
jag-fan-in-la
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby matmat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:24 pm

Hugh M. Griz wrote:wtf ...

On Monday, he's done for the year
On Tuesday, he's out 4-6 weeks and I cast him to the wire
On Wednesday, he tells Del Rio he's a go coming out of the bye week
Stay tuned ... On Thursday, he finds a cure for cancer.

time travel.

he was dropped in a couple of my leagues. hmmm....
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:31 pm

Thanks for the update, good thing too with McNair hurt also I was starting Rattay :-P
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Chopper » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:21 pm

news is back to maybe bad.....don't think we'll know anything at all before Tuesday or Wednesday next week

As Florida Times-Union staff writer Vito Stellino framed it this morning: "In another day of somewhat contradictory injury reports, Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said Wednesday that Byron Leftwich's left knee will be examined again Monday and didn't rule out the possibility the team's starting quarterback will need surgery and be lost for the season. ..."
Del Rio said James Andrews, a Birmingham, Ala.-based orthopedic surgeon, did not offer a definitive diagnosis after examining Leftwich's left knee Tuesday.

"It could be in the end that he does indeed need surgery,'' Del Rio said.

As Stellino noed, that's different from Monday, when Del Rio said that Leftwich's knee was "sore,'' and Tuesday, when he said Leftwich had a sprained lateral collateral ligament that would not require surgery.

But even Del Rio's latest report was contradicted Wednesday by Leftwich, who was walking on crutches in the locker room with his left leg in a brace. Leftwich indicated there might be damage to more than one ligament.

"Believe me, it's two different injuries,'' he told Stellino.

After he ruled out other possibilities, Leftwich was asked if it was a medial collateral ligament.

"You know I'm smarter than that,'' he laughed as he declined to confirm it. "I was born at night, but not last night.''

Leftwich said he couldn't give reporters accurate information until his knee is examined again on Monday.

"Don't count me in, don't count me out until Monday,'' he said. "It can be real good, it can be real bad.''

Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:21 pm

Now fanball is saying he might need surgery and could be out for the year again :-[ :-P :~(

Hopefully the half broke Rattay and McNair will coordinate which games they miss leaving me with a starter for the rest of the season.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk