Sleepers Week 8 Results - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sleepers Week 8 Results

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MeShawn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:23 pm

matmat wrote:well.. it's not clear to me why taylor or gaffney got a ;-D

if anything gaffney should get a :-t :-/ ;-7 for what he did this weekend.

Lol, well in real life, he deserves a :-t

But he was a very solid sleeper pick
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:33 pm

MeShawn wrote:Lol, well in real life, he deserves a :-t

for four points in a standard yahoo league?

I think we should define what "sleeper" means a little more carefuly. I'll start and we can work on it so we can have some means of judging.

sleeper is someone that more than doubles their average fantasy point output for the year.
Gaffney averaged 3.6 points in standard yahoo scoring for the first 6 games and got 4 this game. is that really a sleeper?

this becomes sticky when it comes to backups, though, as there is no comparison with prior play. take chester taylor, for example... he got a
;-D, but managed what? 1 yahoo point (he fumbled)?

anyhow. impose a scoring system and then we can talk about sleepers. neither of those two fit the mold, IMO.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MeShawn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:50 pm

matmat wrote:
MeShawn wrote:Lol, well in real life, he deserves a :-t

for four points in a standard yahoo league?

I think we should define what "sleeper" means a little more carefuly. I'll start and we can work on it so we can have some means of judging.

sleeper is someone that more than doubles their average fantasy point output for the year.
Gaffney averaged 3.6 points in standard yahoo scoring for the first 6 games and got 4 this game. is that really a sleeper?

this becomes sticky when it comes to backups, though, as there is no comparison with prior play. take chester taylor, for example... he got a
;-D, but managed what? 1 yahoo point (he fumbled)?

anyhow. impose a scoring system and then we can talk about sleepers. neither of those two fit the mold, IMO.

The most common scoring system used at the cafe is 1 point per 10 yards rush/rec.

Even with Gaffney's fumble, he'd still have 8.3 points. For a WR who is almost a complete unknown, he would have been very good for a one-week fill in.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:11 pm

MeShawn wrote:The most common scoring system used at the cafe is 1 point per 10 yards rush/rec.

Even with Gaffney's fumble, he'd still have 8.3 points. For a WR who is almost a complete unknown, he would have been very good for a one-week fill in.

that's fine. but before that game he has averaged 5.6 points/game, so the jump to 8.3 really isn't that big, is it?
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GMoney » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:46 pm

you cant be serious???

hell 6 for 88 and 2 rushes for 15 is a decent game for TORRY HOLT, or MARVIN HARRISON

but when jabar gafney gets it, he doesnt even qualify as a sleeper in your books??? thats a stupid comment.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:07 pm

Goleafsgo96 wrote:
i wouldnt call mccareins or dallas clark sleepers.

That is ridiculous. Both guys have been busts to this point. Speaking of Clark, The guy had 104 yds receiving all year, up until last week. The focal point of the offense has been Manning and the three WRs. Not a TE.

I predicted a big game from him, he had 3 catches for 88 yds. I think this qualifies as a sleeper prediction.

He has had bust written all over him thus far, so he more than qualifies.

He hadn't done anything this year.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:11 pm

GMoney wrote:you cant be serious???

hell 6 for 88 and 2 rushes for 15 is a decent game for TORRY HOLT, or MARVIN HARRISON

but when jabar gafney gets it, he doesnt even qualify as a sleeper in your books??? thats a stupid comment.

lol
relax gm. you think that 103 combined yards and 6 touches is a good game for harrison or holt... man. I'd hate to see your expectations for reggie wayne or, *gulp* eddie kennison

I'll conced that he got more receptions than one would expect, (5, instead of the 3 that he has been averaging) but come on... he didn't score a TD and his yardage wasn't off the hook AND he fumbled.
a sleeper (that I don't think anyone picked) was Watts (Den) 80+ touch and 8 yds rushing.

i don't know about you guys, but I don't think that a player who puts up 4-8 points should be considered a sleeper if he's been averaging 4-5... just a normal variation. To me a sleeper is someone who goes off the hook and puts up points that you'd expect a top tier player or maybe even a stud to put up
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GMoney » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:16 pm

ya id call 103 yards combined offence a good game. for Holt or Harrison.

If they could do that every game they get 1600 yards a year, plus if they can score in half the games thats 8 TDs. (those are definately decent numbers)

I think you EXPECT STUD recievers to get around 5 catches and 80 yards, and to score 2/3 of the time.

you expect guys like Wayne to get 4/70 and a TD half the games

and you expect guys like gafney to get 2-3/30 and 3-5 TDs a year..... therefore scoreing 103 combined yards is a VERY GOOD GAME for that SLEEPER.

Who then mighty all knowing and seeing briliant matmat is a sleeper???? do we have to say guys with a total of 2 receptions this year (ala Rashaun Woods) and then if they manage to put up 7/110 and a TD can we call that a decent outing????
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby matmat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:27 pm

GMoney wrote:Who then mighty all knowing and seeing briliant matmat is a sleeper???? do we have to say guys with a total of 2 receptions this year (ala Rashaun Woods) and then if they manage to put up 7/110 and a TD can we call that a decent outing????

dude
why are you so aggressive?
i wrote above -- i think watts would have been a nice sleeper this past week. I really don't consider someone who put up 2 points more than they are averaging to be a sleeper. have some standards, come on!
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:34 pm

i said mcardell...he had 65 and a td, but it wasnt mentioned.... :-°
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk