Ethics - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethics

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Power_Backs » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:58 pm

Ethics? the3 only ethics are to play within the rules...if your playiing with in them....All the more POWER to you!..after all this is just a fantasy..screw your opponent if you can!
The first wipe is always the messiest
Power_Backs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bennett4prez » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:07 am

Shallow, but anyone can do it. Rather than mope about it to the commish, give the kid a taste of his own medicine. Hey, if he doesn't want you to have someone, he can do whatever he wants. Stop complaining and play the game.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:09 am

the solution is simple. if a team picks up a player M-Saturday and releases him before the games on Sunday, he renters the pool. if you want, you can also add the waiver positions into it. (although, that would still provide an incentive to pick up and drop a player)

just make it ineffective.

"process" shouldn't keep people from winning. If you want to devote a roster spot to "keep away" then more power to you. but otherwise, the waiver process isn't going to provide you with what is essentially another bench spot (since no one else can pick up said player)
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:11 am

you know... i think that a player that was picked up then released should not be placed on waivers unless he spent some time on the roster while he was actually playing football. That would solve this issue.

on yahoo this strategy is illegal, as someone posted above.

the rule of thumb should be that you should only make moves with the express intention of increasing your own score, NOT decreasing your opponents.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bennett4prez » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:14 am

You play to beat your opponent. Whether that means upgrading your team or downgrading theirs, you do what it takes to win. Also, this guy can't be that great if the owner is going to pick him up and then drop him...
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby trotsky79 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:34 am

Hmm... downgrading his team...

would it be ok for me to steal his yahoo password and place all his guys on the bench right before kick off?

The game is meant to be fun and part of ensuring collective fun for ALL is a notion of sportsmanship. I'm fairly certain that by acting in an unsportmanlike manner, fun for your competitor is greatly decreased.

But, for those that feel that win at all costs is the right way to go... then why have any rules at all?
trotsky79
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bowie » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:49 am

trotsky79 wrote:Hmm... downgrading his team...

would it be ok for me to steal his yahoo password and place all his guys on the bench right before kick off?

The game is meant to be fun and part of ensuring collective fun for ALL is a notion of sportsmanship. I'm fairly certain that by acting in an unsportmanlike manner, fun for your competitor is greatly decreased.

But, for those that feel that win at all costs is the right way to go... then why have any rules at all?

Is this the argument you really want to make? Is adding someone to your own roster really the same as stealing someone's password and messing with their roster? Are you really going to argue that the strategy in question is unsportsmanlike by assuming that it is unsportsmanlike?

As with the many other threads of this ilk, we are all going to have to either agree to disagree, or argue the same points back and forth until we tire of it.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Purple_Pride » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:17 am

Bowie wrote:
trotsky79 wrote:Hmm... downgrading his team...

Is this the argument you really want to make? Is adding someone to your own roster really the same as stealing someone's password and messing with their roster in your eyes? Are you really going to argue that the strategy in question is unsportsmanlike by assuming that it is unsportsmanlike?

As with the many other threads of this ilk, we are all going to have to either agree to disagree on the ethics of FF, or argue the same points back and forth until we tire of it.

i agree here, the two examples arent even comparable, i think i can do whatever i want to my own roster whether the point of it is to directly benefit my team or to hamper my oponents team which then benefits my team.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby k68 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:18 am

Also, you have to be able to prove to the commish that the owner is acting in bad faith which is not easy. In other words, say you have a 16 spot roster. You have your starters and your primary backups so that probably leaves you with one or maybe two revolving slots; meaning this is the spot where you add/drop for the week because it's not a player w/ much value. Sometimes people pick up players at the beginning of the week w/ the intention of playing them but as the week goes on events change and after further research decides he will help his team if he goes in another direction so then drops the player he picked up earlier in the week because the other players on his bench are too valuable. Even if the owner is doing it to hurt someone else; it's hard to prove what his true intention was.

for what its worth, I have had this done to me on occasions and have done it before myself. I am in a decent size $ league (very competitve)and no owner has problems w/ this practice. It's considered fair play in mine, but every league is different.
Last edited by k68 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
k68
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:19 am

For those of you who think this is perfectly fair...where do you draw the line?

If its ok for him to do this w/ one player, is it ok for him to do it w/ 2 or 3 or 4? Would he then be allowed to churn the entire WW?

Its really hard to guage what this owner is thinking, but if he is doing this on a weekly basis something needs to be said or done. He will just continue to push the limits and for all we know he may not even think/know what he is doing could be thought of as wrong.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk