Portis Alexander Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis Alexander Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Portis Alexander Update

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:56 pm

Halfway through the season I thought that it might be good time to update the values of SA and Portis.

Rushing

yards SA 719 CP 663
Avg SA 4.9 CP 3.9
TD SA 7 CP 2
Fmbl SA 0 SP 3

Receiving

yards SA 100 CP 140
Avg SA 8.3 CP 6.1
TD SA 3 CP 1

The purpose of this is not to point out that if we were to rerank right now SA would probably be the third or fourth rated RB and CP around #10. The purpose is to point out that a less talented RB can be more valuable in fantasy terms if he is in the right system with the right team.

Is it any surprise that the out-of-nowhere breakout games have come from teams with great O-lines and good systems? Look at Moore, Derrick Blaylock and Droughns. If SA went down would there be any doubt that Morris would outperform a number of more talented backs on lesser teams?

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:03 pm

I was watching all of those talent vs. situation debates during the pre-season and tended to think like you do. Given a great offense to work in, any NFL caliber RB can put up reasonably good stats. There are very few RBs in the NFL, however, who can overcome bad situations through talent alone (i.e. Tomlinson-in years past esp.).
Looking at 1/2 years stats for only two players is definitely too narrow in focus to pretend this argument has been settled, but given that many of these preseason threads revolved around Alexander vs. Portis, it certainly is interesting.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby arrbez » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:06 pm

i'm sure you'll get a lot of argument about alexander being an inferior runner to portis (don't forget that portis only put up big numbers in THE system in devner). personally, i would rate them about equally in talent. They both have different strengths and weaknesses. But yeah, i think the big difference in stats is defintly caused by portis being in a crappy running situation
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:08 pm

Your main points are well taken ....

but in regard to Morris's case... due to his size ...he would likely split the load with Evans and Strong

let's just hope Alexander "doesn't" go down
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby CC » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:29 pm

I'd easily give Portis the edge in talent, actually Alexander would be at the bottom of my top 10 in RB talent and Portis would be top 5. However, looks like you and bago were right Mookie.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fast Eddy » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:01 pm

This is exactly why proven, known quantity players are usually better picks than good players changing teams.
Fast Eddy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:12 pm

Since when was this debate EVER about whether or not RB's relied on the system around them?

It was more a debate on whether or not Portis could stay healthy and whether or not Washington would be a good system. I thought it would, but thus far some injuries to the oline and a fair amount of ineptitude by the highly regarded Joe Gibbs have led to the opposite. There was some debate as to whether or not Portis was just a product of the Denver system, which I still don't think he is. He didn't go from Denver to your average run-of-the-mill offense, thus far Washington's offense has been completely inept except for Mr. Clinton.
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:45 pm

CP has more talent than SA? Really?

Now, Portis is FASTER, but he is in no way better.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:26 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:CP has more talent than SA? Really?

Now, Portis is FASTER, but he is in no way better.

i disagree bigtime. I think that CP is easily more talented, he is faster but i think hes more than that. Alexander is an obviously talented back, but i dont think his talent reaches the "elite" level. He is simply in a near ideal system with near ideal surroundings.

i will admit i thought portis would have a slightly better year than SA.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Shaun is IMO a great back

Postby THL Titan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:58 pm

Look, some can say the system suites him, but look at this year. Hasselback has had a horrendous year, and Shaun is still producing like a champ. He's no Priest, but he has gotten ten td's so far this year. He even produces when they announce he's gonna carry the offense like last week, and I don't see his production slowing down for the rest of the season. I picked him up seventh in my draft, and I couldn't be more pleased.
THL Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk