Portis Alexander Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis Alexander Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby fantasizing » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:56 pm

Gotta agree with Titan. Seattle's passing attack hasn't exactly been lighting it up this year. In fact, it's been terrible, yet SA continues to thrive. So I don't buy the argument that SA is in an "ideal" situation in Seattle. He may be running behind a strong offensive line, but tell that to M. Hasselbeck who's wiping the dirt and grass off his helmet after yet another pass rush gets by his great offensive line and pins him to the ground.

SA is a great running back, and right now,he is better than Portis, talent, fantasy, whatever.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:10 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:CP has more talent than SA? Really?

Now, Portis is FASTER, but he is in no way better.

Ever watch a Seahawks game? It's 3 yard gain, 3 yard loss, 4 yard gain, 2 yard gain, 2 yard TD, 2 yard loss, 12 yard gain, 1 yard TD.

Alexander has the potential to be very good, but he tiptoes into the hole and doesn't run hard unless he sees the goal-line. I would really like to see how well he would do behind the Redskins line, I'm betting he wouldn't even be a 1st round pick at all.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:17 pm

clinton portis is a punk. sob. err... I mean self-proclaimed sod.
how do you think alexander would run behind, say, the denver line?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Alexander Talent

Postby nickjumpman » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:29 pm

If you think that Portis is more talented than Alexander then you are sadly mistaken. Portis is an over rated player who gets alot of media attention dating back to his days at UM. Alexander hardly gets any attention because he plays in the Northwest in a small market. Alexander is consistently one of the most under rated players in the league. Watch the two of these players during a game and then make up your mind. Alexander combines the rare talents of speed, size, and elusiveness. Portis is probably slightly faster, but Alexander is dominating near the goal line and he makes defenders miss when it looks like an easy tackle. Alexander is also a better receiver than Portis making him even more valuable.

In my opinion Alexander is a far superior RB and I have thought this for the past 3 years. Look at what Alexander has done and check his stats. The only player who has scored more TDs than Alexander the past 4 years is Priest Holmes.
nickjumpman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:32 pm

matmat wrote:clinton portis is a punk. sob. err... I mean self-proclaimed sod.
how do you think alexander would run behind, say, the denver line?

Not as well. Having the 2nd best tackle (Walter Jones) and the best guard (Steve Hutchinson) in the league on the left side and then 3 very good players (Womack, Tobeck, and most of all Terry) on the right side, plus a consistent air attack helps out Alexander as much if not more than the Denver line helped out Portis.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:14 pm

I was trying my best to keep my mouth shut about this topic until the end of the season, since 90% of everyone that posted in the Alexander v. Portis thread called me an idiot and a fantasy noob. So far Alexander's blowing Portis out of the water just like I thought he would. In fact, besides Priest Holmes, none of the pre-season top 5 backs have out-performed Shaun. Tiki and Curtis have, but no one really saw that coming.

Now I say this. Obviously I've been watching SA closely since I drafted him this year, and WHEN GIVEN enough carries, he absolutely dominates. The only bad games he's had is when dumb @ss Holmgren decides it's best to give Shaun 8 carries and let Hasselsuck air it out 50 times. I guess 3 consecutive losses finally made Holmgren realize that the offense is much better when Shaun gets 20-25 carries.

So to those that say he's in an ideal situation, they're partially wrong. If he was in an ideal situation, the Hawks would run the ball a little more than they pass instead of the other way around.

Meanwhile, Portis gets 35 carries a game and can't come close to SA's production.

As much as it hurts to say I was wrong about McNabb/TO, it feels equally as good to say I was right about Alexander being better than Portis this year.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:07 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Now, Portis is FASTER, but he is in no way better.

Ever watch a Seahawks game? It's 3 yard gain, 3 yard loss, 4 yard gain, 2 yard gain, 2 yard TD, 2 yard loss, 12 yard gain, 1 yard TD.
[/quote]

if you are referring to SA only getting a few yards a carry, you might be interested to know that he broke off carries of 23, 38 and 44 last week. and yes, i have watched 4 seattle games this year.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:10 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:a consistent air attack helps out Alexander as much if not more than the Denver line helped out Portis.

You gotta be kidding me... SA's having a huge year and the passing has been far from good. Only 8 TD's in 7 games, and 9 INT's. Denver's O-Line would make any decently skilled back top 10 in the league.

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Ever watch a Seahawks game? It's 3 yard gain, 3 yard loss, 4 yard gain, 2 yard gain, 2 yard TD, 2 yard loss, 12 yard gain, 1 yard TD.

Well SA is averaging 4.9 YPC. Maybe that's because of the O-Line, but still your point about a bunch of small gains isn't really meaningful. Your example gives a 2.3 YPC, which is less than half of what he's actually producing this year. Maybe I should ask you: ever watch a Seahawks game? :-b jk

Portis' nice little 5.5 YPC over 29 games in Denver for some reason dropped below 4 now that he's away from the Broncos. Could that reason be that he sin't as good as everybody thought? Quite possibly.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shader » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:53 am

I agree, Canadian cheesehead is dead wrong about this one. Alexander has been performing his whole career, and I have no idea where these questions of his true talent come from. Alexander dominated in high school, dominated at Alabama, and is dominating for Seattle. The funny thing is that Holmgren is possibly the worst possible coach for his style.

And that sequence of numbers that CC put out there were just laughable. I think he needs to watch a few games.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:46 am

lbjackal wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:a consistent air attack helps out Alexander as much if not more than the Denver line helped out Portis.

You gotta be kidding me... SA's having a huge year and the passing has been far from good. Only 8 TD's in 7 games, and 9 INT's. Denver's O-Line would make any decently skilled back top 10 in the league.

Do you think when a defense prepares for a team they look at numbers? Alexander DOES benefit from their passing game, regardless of the numbers it puts up. NO defense will say, okay, i know its Hasslebeck and explosive receivers like Djax and Krob, but they only have 8 tds so lets focus on Alexander alone. That hasnt happened once this year.
In washington, teams know they CAN focus a little more on the running game.

YEs Denvers Oline (mostly the system itself) can make a great back out of any solid RB, but not alot of guys can average 5.5 YPC and get 1500 in their first two years. Id say LT could, HOlmes could, JLew may, Ricky could if he came back :-b and Portis can.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk