Portis Alexander Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis Alexander Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:23 am

goleafsgo96 wrote:YEs Denvers Oline (mostly the system itself) can make a great back out of any solid RB, but not alot of guys can average 5.5 YPC and get 1500 in their first two years. Id say LT could, HOlmes could, JLew may, Ricky could if he came back :-b and Portis can.

Alexander could too. If he can get 1,400 yards and 16 TD's in Seattle's system, he could easily get 1,600 yards and 20 TD's in Denver's system.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Defensive focus on Alexander

Postby nickjumpman » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:17 pm

EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL FOCUSES ON ALEXANDER DURING THEIR DEFENSIVE GAMEPLAN.

I guarantee that teams spend more time focusing on ALexander than they do the Seahawks passing game. I would never call the Seahawks passing game explosive. Last year was the first year the Seahawks passing game really clicked. Hasselbeck had a good year last year. Alexander has been doing this for 4 years now.

Over the last 4 years the only person that has more TDs than Alex is Priest Holmes. Alexander is one of the top 4 versatile backs in the league along with LT2, Priest, and Ahman. All 4 of these guys are explosive runners and have great receiving ability out of the backfield. I could see an agrument made for Edge to be in this group but that is about it.

If anyone thinks that D spend more time focusing on the passing attack of the Seahawks then you are dead wrong.

I took Alexander with the 4th pick in my draft this year cause I knew he was going to have a huge year. I would have taken him second, only because it would have been stupid to pass up Priest with the # 1 overall pick.

Long live Alexander the Great!!!!!!
nickjumpman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby arrbez » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:27 pm

i think alexander's numbers would be equal (or more likely worse) if he were in washington, but i don't think portis would put up as good of numbers either if he were in seattle.

i think alexander would get absolutely buried behind that washington line because he's not as shifty as portis. BUT, i think alexander's size lets him take full advantage of the seattle system, especially near the goal line.

what i've always wondered is, what could ricky williams have done with a good line. if ricky had played in denver or seattle, i'm confident he would have topped dickerson's record
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:31 pm

to nick jumpman:

apparently you did not read my post properly. I never once said that defenses focus on seattles passing game more than their running game, i simply said defenses HAVE to focus on their passing game, which is still true. My point was that defenses HAVE to focus a helluva lot more on seattles passing game when they play seattle than washingtons passing game when they play washington.

again, i never said seattles passing is better than their running. open your eyes 8-o
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:34 pm

bagobonez wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:YEs Denvers Oline (mostly the system itself) can make a great back out of any solid RB, but not alot of guys can average 5.5 YPC and get 1500 in their first two years. Id say LT could, HOlmes could, JLew may, Ricky could if he came back :-b and Portis can.

Alexander could too. If he can get 1,400 yards and 16 TD's in Seattle's system, he could easily get 1,600 yards and 20 TD's in Denver's system.

another misread: i said i dont think he can average 1500+ yards and a 5.5 YPC in HIS FIRST TWO YEARS. did alexander get those 1400 and 16 tds in his first year? i dont think so, and if im right, those stats you posted are irrelevant.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:15 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

another misread: i said i dont think he can average 1500+ yards and a 5.5 YPC in HIS FIRST TWO YEARS. did alexander get those 1400 and 16 tds in his first year? i dont think so, and if im right, those stats you posted are irrelevant.

No, because Shaun was behind Ricky Watters on teh depth chart in his first year. Had Shaun Alexander been drafted by Denver and given the starting job as a rookie, he could have 1500 yards each year.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:23 pm

lbjackal wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:a consistent air attack helps out Alexander as much if not more than the Denver line helped out Portis.

You gotta be kidding me... SA's having a huge year and the passing has been far from good. Only 8 TD's in 7 games, and 9 INT's. Denver's O-Line would make any decently skilled back top 10 in the league.

Portis' nice little 5.5 YPC over 29 games in Denver for some reason dropped below 4 now that he's away from the Broncos. Could that reason be that he sin't as good as everybody thought? Quite possibly.

Thanks for cutting out half of the sentence where it talks about Seattle's o-line. I agree Portis isn't as good as everyone thought he was, but if I'm choosing one of these two to start a team I'm picking Portis.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:48 pm

OK, from a Seahawk fan who has seen most games over the last several years.
1) In Alexander's first year, Ricky Watters was the featured back. So no way Shaun put up any kind of numbers.
2) Holmgren's system is to pass first, run second. So I agree that most defenses worry about the pass. They do worry about the run, but the pass first. I have not seen many games, :-? , where the opposing defense is putting 8 men on the line. Except maybe in goal line situations.
3) He is his yearly numbers. Remember the passing game only clicked at the end of 2002 and in all of 2003.
2000 313 rushing yds 2 TDs
2001 1318 YDs & 14 TDs
2002 1175 YDs & 16 TDs
2003 1435 YDs & 14 TDs
Impressive, not counting 2000 since he did not start, he has averaged, 1309 YDs and 14 TDs per year. There are only a few RBs that can match those kind of numbers.
4) Shaun is a FA after this year. So you may get you wish to see him run behind a defferent line. We also have Hasslebeck and Walter Jones to sign as well. I don't think all three are comming back.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:06 pm

SeaWolf wrote:OK, from a Seahawk fan who has seen most games over the last several years.
1) In Alexander's first year, Ricky Watters was the featured back. So no way Shaun put up any kind of numbers.
2) Holmgren's system is to pass first, run second. So I agree that most defenses worry about the pass. They do worry about the run, but the pass first. I have not seen many games, :-? , where the opposing defense is putting 8 men on the line. Except maybe in goal line situations.
3) He is his yearly numbers. Remember the passing game only clicked at the end of 2002 and in all of 2003.
2000 313 rushing yds 2 TDs
2001 1318 YDs & 14 TDs
2002 1175 YDs & 16 TDs
2003 1435 YDs & 14 TDs
Impressive, not counting 2000 since he did not start, he has averaged, 1309 YDs and 14 TDs per year. There are only a few RBs that can match those kind of numbers.
4) Shaun is a FA after this year. So you may get you wish to see him run behind a defferent line. We also have Hasslebeck and Walter Jones to sign as well. I don't think all three are comming back.

great post, good info ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:42 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
lbjackal wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:a consistent air attack helps out Alexander as much if not more than the Denver line helped out Portis.

You gotta be kidding me... SA's having a huge year and the passing has been far from good. Only 8 TD's in 7 games, and 9 INT's. Denver's O-Line would make any decently skilled back top 10 in the league.

Portis' nice little 5.5 YPC over 29 games in Denver for some reason dropped below 4 now that he's away from the Broncos. Could that reason be that he sin't as good as everybody thought? Quite possibly.

Thanks for cutting out half of the sentence where it talks about Seattle's o-line. I agree Portis isn't as good as everyone thought he was, but if I'm choosing one of these two to start a team I'm picking Portis.

I agree. Portis is more talented and I would rather have him as my RB if I had a team. But in FF terms the move to Washington should have dropped Portis a lot further down the rankings. I'm hoping that he performs like this all year so that I can pick him up cheap next year.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk