Portis Alexander Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis Alexander Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby fantasizing » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:58 pm

I think opposing teams have been focusing more on stopping Seattle's passing attack this year because of the success they had last year. And for the most part, opposing defenses have been successful. I think teams know Holmgren's propensity (stubbornness) for passing even if it's not working and let up a bit on stopping the run, hence allowing SA to break big runs, like he's done this year. But now Holmgren's announcing to everyone that he's gonna run more, so who knows.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Defensive focus on Alexander

Postby Evolution » Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:26 am

nickjumpman wrote:EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL FOCUSES ON ALEXANDER DURING THEIR DEFENSIVE GAMEPLAN.

I guarantee that teams spend more time focusing on ALexander than they do the Seahawks passing game. I would never call the Seahawks passing game explosive. Last year was the first year the Seahawks passing game really clicked. Hasselbeck had a good year last year. Alexander has been doing this for 4 years now.

Over the last 4 years the only person that has more TDs than Alex is Priest Holmes. Alexander is one of the top 4 versatile backs in the league along with LT2, Priest, and Ahman. All 4 of these guys are explosive runners and have great receiving ability out of the backfield. I could see an agrument made for Edge to be in this group but that is about it.

If anyone thinks that D spend more time focusing on the passing attack of the Seahawks then you are dead wrong.

I took Alexander with the 4th pick in my draft this year cause I knew he was going to have a huge year. I would have taken him second, only because it would have been stupid to pass up Priest with the # 1 overall pick.

Long live Alexander the Great!!!!!!

Opposing teams spend more time focusing on SA than the passing attack? I strongly strongly doubt it. If you've watched Seahawks games this year, you'd see all the different schemes that teams have been using to make Hasselbeck a nervous wreck throwing the ball. Meanwhile, every game you will see SA get his numbers. You dont see many different run blitzes or defensive schemes that are designed at making SA run the ball to the right side instead of the left. If a team ran the ball 20 times and passed 40 times, and had pro-bolwers on each attack, I know where I would focus my attention. The rest of the league has figured out that Holmregn's playcalling is very very bland and predictable.

Through struggles and through the good times, SA has put up his numbers and should continue to do so, no matter where he plays next year, as long as he has a decent o-line. Is he a dominant runner? No, he has an outstanding explosive step into the hole...... when he decides after 5 seconds of tip-toeing to hit it. A below-average offensive line would kill Shaun because of his running style. He's the kind of back that prefers his teammates to create his holes for him, rather than making holes and breaking tackles.

I'd a big fan of fast players, so if I had the choice between the two as a running back, I would take Portis as my RB based on speed alone.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:05 am

Yeah, I'll say as long as SA is in Seattle with that great line he will be top 4 (and to think I took Deuce ahead of him. Friggin ankle sprains). But, next year may be different. He may go to a new place, and lose a tackle blocking for him like Walter Jones.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:52 am

I hope I'm hearing this by next season.

"Welcome to Dallas, Mr. Alexander. Your fantasy value will now be zero."
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:06 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I hope I'm hearing this by next season.

"Welcome to Dallas, Mr. Alexander. Your fantasy value will now be zero."

uh, NO! :-o
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Football Talk